Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Jun 16, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #286 of 512
Jun 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #287 of 512
Quote:

I see that the current rate is listed as 48 kHz -- try setting the drivers to 44.1 kHz instead of Auto. You might also try setting Foobar's output to 24-bit instead of 32-bit, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I tried both suggestions but it still won't work. I still get the same error message.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #288 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tequila /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried both suggestions but it still won't work. I still get the same error message.

Never mind, it finally works !. Apparently the driver audio deck didn't actually adjust the output when I changed a setting. I have to restart the program every time I adjust something for the change to take effect. I found this out when I connected more speakers, changed the setting in audio deck and didn't get any sound from the speakers.

Thanks for your help infinitesymphony !.

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #289 of 512
For the record I had a similar problem getting the WASAPI output in foobar to work (using Windows Server 2008 sp1). After switching to the 2 channel hi-sample rate in the via audio deck, I had to exit the deck and change the sample rate to 96khz using windows.

To do this go to control panel -> sound -> Digital Output Device 'Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM' : click 'Properties' then select the 'Supported Formats' tab. You should select 96khz from the sample rates and click apply.

The only thing left it to select the WASAPI output in foobar (via Envy24 spdif). Of course make sure that the re-sampler DSP is loaded and set to output 96khz.

Note: This problem with the envy audio deck could be because I normally run as a standard user. I had tried running the deck as an Admin, but it still didn't want to update ... probably due to some local security setting.

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #290 of 512
Hi Infinitesymphony, am I doing this right?

Hi-Sample Digital Out (96) --> S/PDIF Out (optical) --> Oritek OMZ DAC --> RCA/RCA --> Amp --> Headphones

You said that Envy resamples to 96 regardless in Vista. Will it degrade the signal to my DAC? Is there anyway I can bypass the DAC/amp on the Chaintech altogether and get bit-perfect transport? I'm currently using Vista 64 and 5.40 Audio Deck driver.

If anyone is using Vista and can walk me through it, I will greatly appreciate it.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #291 of 512
The sound card doesn't force resampling, Vista does. I'm not sure if there's a way to get bit-perfect digital output using this card and Vista since I'm more familiar with the analog side and XP, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #292 of 512
Should i be using 24-bit output with Foobar using the Chaintech? I am using Vista.

Chaintech -> SPDIF -> DAC -> AMP -> HD650

Using 96khz resampling since like you said apparently it resamples anyway under Vista.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #293 of 512
Well, is your content 24bit? Does your DAC allow for 24bit / 96kHz input?

It seems that a lot of people really don't understand what the bit-depth resolution is.

Think of a train. The train has cars. The cars can carry a load.

Now the train is the digital stream. The number of cars is the bit-depth resolution (16 bits, 24 bits or 32 bits per train). If your data (load) is only 16 bits, why do you want to use a train with 24 cars? It makes no sense.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #294 of 512
My .flac files are 16-bit. So that solves it eh? My DAC can do 24/96 but doesn't matter.

I did notice a pretty big difference in SQ when i resampled to 96khz in foobar. If Vista does indeed resample on its own to 96khz, it meant the data was going from 44.1khz (file) -> 96khz (Vista) -> 44.1khz (Foobar)?

It definitely sounds better at 96khz in any case.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #295 of 512
Most people select 24-bit or 32-bit playback in Foobar to avoid dither. It does not actually affect the bit-rate--16-bit will be passed as 16-bit. Realistically, it doesn't matter unless you are playing back 24-bit or higher bit-rate content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
If your data (load) is only 16 bits, why do you want to use a train with 24 cars? It makes no sense.

Because 24 cars can carry 16 car loads, but the reverse is not true.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #296 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, is your content 24bit? Does your DAC allow for 24bit / 96kHz input?

It seems that a lot of people really don't understand what the bit-depth resolution is.

Think of a train. The train has cars. The cars can carry a load.

Now the train is the digital stream. The number of cars is the bit-depth resolution (16 bits, 24 bits or 32 bits per train). If your data (load) is only 16 bits, why do you want to use a train with 24 cars? It makes no sense.

When you push a 16-bit PCM stream at a 24-bit DAC it generally means that the 16-bit stream gets padded with 8 positions of zeroes.

Depending on the behavior of the DAC when it's in it's 16-bit mode, it MAY have better noise specs when the stream is padded out than when it's running 16 bit without the padding.

Difference should be minimal, though.

Similar deal with upsampling. you MAY increase the SNR when you run the DAC at it's top speed. This is the general theory behind some new DACs like the ESS Sabre that run just as fast as they can. The idea, roughly, is that there is less audible switching noise when the switching rate is faster.

Sample rate conversion raises a whole other can of worms, though, which i don't feel like explaining here. search for 'nyquist' and 'aliasing'.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #297 of 512
I just installed the Foobar WASAPI plugin and it made a huge difference in my sound over KS. I'm guessing all this time i never truly had bit-perfect output because it's a very noticeable improvement on all levels.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #298 of 512
Hey guys.
I had my Chaintech set up and running very well out of my old PC ( Windows XP.) I have now installed the soundcard in my new PC ( Windows Vista 64. ) Now my PC will not recognize the card
confused_face.gif
...Any ideas?

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #299 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys.
I had my Chaintech set up and running very well out of my old PC ( Windows XP.) I have now installed the soundcard in my new PC ( Windows Vista 64. ) Now my PC will not recognize the card
confused_face.gif
...Any ideas?

O.K I reinstalled the AV710 and still no luck. The soundcard is not showing up. Any thoughts?

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #300 of 512
Your computer should at least recognize it even if it can not identify what it is. Check control pannel to see if it is recognized under question mark as an unidentified device.

If it can't recognize the card at all, it sounds like... the card is not seated at slot correctly. Make sure you press the card firmly to secure it properly. You may want to move the card to different slot, and see if this solve recognition problem.

Then, you will need a driver for vista 64. I think there's vista driver at viaarena.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back