Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Jun 12, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #271 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, everything will need to be resampled to 96 kHz in order to use Kernel Streaming (which is the ideal method). It's possible to resample to 192 kHz, but there are no advantages.

Thanks, I set up foobar with kernel streaming and it works fine in vista 64.

However, I am trying to get it to work with ASIO4ALL and ASIO keeps giving me beyond logic errors.

Is it possible to get this card to use ASIO4ALL under vista? I was able to get it working in xp32, but not anymore.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #272 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to get this card to use ASIO4ALL under vista? I was able to get it working in xp32, but not anymore.

I'm not sure, but there shouldn't be a difference between KS and any flavor of ASIO in terms of playback routing / quality.

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #273 of 512
I need it for my digital piano software.

It works when I do 7.1 output, but shows beyond logic for the spdif 2.0 setting.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #274 of 512
Quote:

Gotcha... Have you followed the steps detailed in the first post, including using the particular driver version listed? No one here has mentioned that specific problem before. Try closing all unnecessary programs and processes before changing the setting.

Yep, using the same driver and settings mentioned in the OP. Tried closing all non-essential processes, didn't help.
frown.gif

Does the sampling rate even matter if you're only using the AV710 to provide an optical signal for a DAC? Would the AV710 do the resampling or the DAC?

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #275 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by teenage kicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, using the same driver and settings mentioned in the OP. Tried closing all non-essential processes, didn't help.
frown.gif

Does the sampling rate even matter if you're only using the AV710 to provide an optical signal for a DAC? Would the AV710 do the resampling or the DAC?

So the Audio Deck won't let you click Auto sampling rate? When / where does the error message occur?

I'm not sure if the drivers resample for the digital output if the 2 CH Hi-Sample Rate mode is selected. Maybe someone with Vista could chime in about that. If you're in regular 2 CH mode, it should be running at either 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
I need it for my digital piano software.

It works when I do 7.1 output, but shows beyond logic for the spdif 2.0 setting.

You may be out of luck. From what I've read, ASIO4All, Vista, and Envy-based cards all hate each others' guts in terms of compatibility.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #276 of 512
Okay, I'm getting more weird errors. I managed to change the sample rate (had to unplug my speakers and headphones, doh), but when I change it, it slows down my audio, which also makes it deeper and distorted. I don't know if that's what it's supposed to do or not. I tried it out with a DVD and it was pretty clear that it's supposed to be 48KHz. Does this mean if I've been playing CDs at 48KHz all this time, I've been playing them faster than intended?

Another problem is that I can't use ASIO4All or Kernel Streaming. In the ASIO4All settings, it says my card's output is unavailable. If I switch foobar to Kernel Streaming mode, it says "unable to open device". :|

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #277 of 512
Quote:

Okay, I'm getting more weird errors. I managed to change the sample rate (had to unplug my speakers and headphones, doh), but when I change it, it slows down my audio, which also makes it deeper and distorted. I don't know if that's what it's supposed to do or not. I tried it out with a DVD and it was pretty clear that it's supposed to be 48KHz. Does this mean if I've been playing CDs at 48KHz all this time, I've been playing them faster than intended?

Another problem is that I can't use ASIO4All or Kernel Streaming. In the ASIO4All settings, it says my card's output is unavailable. If I switch foobar to Kernel Streaming mode, it says "unable to open device". :|

That's totally weird... Almost sounds like a hardware problem or conflict to me. Most DVDs are 48 kHz, yes. No, if you feed the drivers a 44.1 kHz signal and they're set to 48 kHz, they will just perform not-so-good resampling on the signal to match the right rate. The resampling process uses interpolation or decimation (adding or subtracting samples) in order to keep the actual time the same.

The "unable to open device" error message with KS is a clear indicator that the drivers are not set to the proper sampling rate (Auto 44.1/48 kHz). KS will only work when everything is configured properly.

If you had installed a different driver version before, you might consider uninstalling all of your sound drivers and doing some registry clean-up if you feel comfortable with it. Then you'll have a better chance of performing a fresh driver install.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #278 of 512
Okay, thanks. That helped, I ran a registry cleaning program and rebooted, now Kernel Streaming outputs fine.

Only one problem left now: analogue output to my desktop speakers works fine, but I can't get a signal out of the optical port to my DAC. SP/DIF is enabled in the menu, but I'm still getting nothing out of my DAC. Is there some digital output step in foobar I forgot about?

I really appreciate this help by the way, infinitesymphony.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #279 of 512
Quote:

Only one problem left now: analogue output to my desktop speakers works fine, but I can't get a signal out of the optical port to my DAC. SP/DIF is enabled in the menu, but I'm still getting nothing out of my DAC. Is there some digital output step in foobar I forgot about?

No, the drivers should be responsible for output routing. Also note that your DAC won't be able to decode surround content unless it's a home theater receiver or processor (but you probably already knew that). If it's just regular two-channel audio, I'm not sure what the problem could be if the digital output is enabled in the Audio Deck. I've never used the AV-710's optical output before, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #281 of 512
Quote:

You may be out of luck. From what I've read, ASIO4All, Vista, and Envy-based cards all hate each others' guts in terms of compatibility.

In that case, how does the sound quality of the ALIEN compare to the AV710?

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #282 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, how does the sound quality of the ALIEN compare to the AV710?

That's a question for another thread... I haven't heard the Alien DAC, but judging by its parts, I'd guess it would be at somewhere around the same level. It's always tough to tell with sources, since the other equipment in your system may or may not synergize well with them.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #283 of 512
I just can't get Kernel streaming to work. I followed the guide but it keeps giving the following error: Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device. I noticed that when this error is mentioned in this thread it is said that:

Quote:

The "unable to open device" error message with KS is a clear indicator that the drivers are not set to the proper sampling rate (Auto 44.1/48 kHz). KS will only work when everything is configured properly.

But as far as I can see everything is set up right. I tried different driver versions, different foobar versions and various settings in foobar. Kernel streaming does function through the on-board sound card but not through the AV710. I can't disable on-board sound in the BIOS.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #284 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tequila /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't get Kernel streaming to work...

What operating system?

You might try uninstalling the AV-710 drivers, searching for and deleting the appropriate registry values (if you feel comfortable doing this--it may not be necessary), and trying again. Always remember the order: uninstall, reboot, cancel out of New Hardware Wizard, install the new drivers.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #285 of 512
Quote:

What operating system?

Windows XP.

Quote:

You might try uninstalling the AV-710 drivers, searching for and deleting the appropriate registry values (if you feel comfortable doing this--it may not be necessary), and trying again. Always remember the order: uninstall, reboot, cancel out of New Hardware Wizard, install the new drivers.

I just tried this again and it still won't work.

There are no DSPs active either.

Please take a look:

ImageShack - Hosting :: av710driversetupdc5.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: foobaroutputbd9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back