Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Mar 12, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #242 of 512
Not sure what specifically has changed in terms of features, but these drivers (dated December 12-5-2007) work much better with my copy of Vista Basic.

On installation, first removing the older drivers, then running setup led to repeated Blue Screens of Death in my system. I eventually got the drivers to install by selecting the "last known good configuration" option in Vista startup, and then using the update driver option in Control Panel.

I was never able to get the line-in to work with my DVR software with the previous drivers, but now the line-in jack is feeding both the TV tuner application and the DVR application.

Beyond that, the "sound" control panel options remain pretty much greek to me - as opposed to the much more straightfoward options in Windows 2000/XP. For instance, I tried last night to get audio out of the ALT jack, but only heard anything at all in 7/1 setup, and not with mp3. I tend not to take computer audio too seriously, but it would be nice to restore the ability to drive a PC headset from the front speaker jack while having a dedicated headphone amp output routed to the ALT jack (as with the XP/Windows 2000 drivers).

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #243 of 512
Yeah, unfortunately Vista doesn't allow the non-resampled output trick, which means that only one output at a time (VIA or Wolfson, depending on 2CH or 2CH Hi-Sample Rate) will work for front channel audio.

I'm guessing that these new drivers mostly fix compatibility issues with the old ones, rather than offering new functionality (or changing old functionality), so I've updated the link in the first post to include the 5.30b release for Vista.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #244 of 512
I've got my chaintech setup as posted, but it sounds very distorted. It sounds like it is clipping. When I switch the output back to the green one, it sounds fine. Any ideas why it sounds like this? Thanks

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #245 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got my chaintech setup as posted, but it sounds very distorted. It sounds like it is clipping. When I switch the output back to the green one, it sounds fine. Any ideas why it sounds like this? Thanks

Which operating system?

What kind of audio system / setup (including software players)?

Since your problem seems a little uncommon, my initial guess is that something is wrong with the hardware on that portion of the card (but I hope not). Have you rebooted since setting it up?

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #246 of 512
I'm using xp pro and running foobar. I've tried using 4-5 of my headphones and all the same. I did reboot. I'm going to be upgrading to vista soon, so I'll try the other setup you posted.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #247 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using xp pro and running foobar. I've tried using 4-5 of my headphones and all the same. I did reboot. I'm going to be upgrading to vista soon, so I'll try the other setup you posted.

Hmm... That points toward a hardware issue with the card. Has the card ever worked properly from the Back Surr. jack? If you haven't tried it, you might try setting the card to Hi-Sample 2CH and having Foobar's Resampler plug-in upsample to 96000 Hz.

Wait a sec... You're plugging the headphones directly into the jack? The Back Surr output is an unamplified line output, not designed to drive headphones (though many people do try to use it for that purpose). The green VIA front channel output, on the other hand, has built-in headphone amplification. This might explain the difference. A simple headphone amplifier will cure the problem if that turns out to be the issue.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #248 of 512
Hi all

am awaiting delivery of a NIB Chaintech. Been looking for a soundcard, reading till my head's about to asplode and I kept seeing Chaintech as being just a really nice, stable card. Computer needs a clean install due to Creative (currently have xtremegamer) doing it's "thing"

Specs:
Asus M2N32 Sli Deluxe mobo, AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+
AM2 w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 60 Pro heatsink; 2.81 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, Hitachi 320 gb 7200 HD/Hitachi 250 gb 7200 HD
Win XP Pro SP2
VM edition 500 watt PSU; Black Lian Li case, Viewsonic 19" VA1930wm LCD monitor

I am Tech challenged. No fancy set-up here, will be using a headset/mic combo, do internet dj'ing with SAM3. Use wmp for uploading cds, use Audacity for doing on the fly edits (all ages site so some words are no-nos) and Audio Recorder or Audacity if I have to do a quicky promo. Occasionally use Skype if we're "double dj'ing". So need nice sound for music and voice.

No special speakers, no pre-amps, no monitor, just computer, soundcard, headphone/mic. For now at least. No $$ for anything right now.

I know I shouldn't use the drivers from the CD, right? But should I install the software/control panel from the CD? I've been to VIA and they have a message that the drivers listed are not for sound cards, so yeah, I'm confused.

What is the right way to install this card for XP ProSP2(32) - I know how physically. But for drivers and software, what do I need to do/to get so this card just works.

Thanks for any and all help.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #249 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by ditzydj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I shouldn't use the drivers from the CD, right? But should I install the software/control panel from the CD? I've been to VIA and they have a message that the drivers listed are not for sound cards, so yeah, I'm confused.

What is the right way to install this card for XP ProSP2(32) - I know how physically. But for drivers and software, what do I need to do/to get so this card just works.

You've come to the right place. Start by reading the first post in this thread, which should answer all of your questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

However, most people around here don't use the card for recording purposes, and I've read reports that the microphone amplification does not work well. Also, you won't be able to use the sound card's high quality output directly into your headphones, since that output does not have a headphone amplifier.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #250 of 512
Thanks Infinite!

I'm impatiently awaiting my card, was shipped on the 9th, so hopefully Monday!

Read your reply to hubcaps - I would be plugging my headphones into the green jack, mic into the pink. I'm so ... basic?

I have both the 473b and 530b version drivers sitting on my desktop. I note that the 473 in the first post are the ones recommended for XP Pro SP2 32bit (me!) ... is there a reason for me to use the newer 530b drivers? or are they for 64bit/Vista? In other words, is the control panel/software pretty much the same? Just drivers that are different. I don't want to mess this installation up!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #251 of 512
Quote:

Read your reply to hubcaps - I would be plugging my headphones into the green jack, mic into the pink. I'm so ... basic?

Yes, even though technically the true benefits of the card will be lost... Out of the green jack, it will be no better than any other cheap card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditzydj
I have both the 473b and 530b version drivers sitting on my desktop. I note that the 473 in the first post are the ones recommended for XP Pro SP2 32bit (me!) ... is there a reason for me to use the newer 530b drivers? or are they for 64bit/Vista? In other words, is the control panel/software pretty much the same? Just drivers that are different. I don't want to mess this installation up!

The 5.30b driver pack in the first post is in the Vista section, but that same zip file also contains the XP drivers. Since you won't be using the Wolfson analog output trick, you can use the 5.30b drivers.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #252 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by peticsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it normal to have a really loud screeching noise come on when Windows loads? It doesnt happen every load but lets say 1/20 it does it...

Yes this has happened on mine since day 1, but in my case it happens more regularly, just about 1 in 3 times. I have to disable audio controller in "device manager" and restart PC. I remember reading all the reviews over at newegg where many people were experiencing the same problem.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #253 of 512
The card got here today! Probably a silly question, but I've seen people say on some cards that they almost need "burning in" ... is this card one of them? Sound is pretty good until I try using it with SAM3. I have the volume down to -3.3dB in SAM and I'm getting some distortion. Voice over mic is fine. Master volume is 2 bars below "medium". Right now I'm just listening through wmp and it sounds pretty nice.

I tried both the 5.30b and 4.73b drivers - the 5 drivers were worse, so I uninstalled and am using the 4.73.

Sample rate is 44.1, S/PDIF ... the only thing checked is PCM Only - I have no clue what this is, Recording DC remove and 20 dB boost is checked, recording select is stereo mix, Smooth GUI mode and stereo expander are selected in Advanced.

There's no equilizer or mixer on the control panel.

I'd read that this card could be a little "quiet", I'm finding the opposite! At this point anything's better than the creative I had in ... any suggestions on the distortion issue?

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #254 of 512
Quote:

I tried both the 5.30b and 4.73b drivers - the 5 drivers were worse, so I uninstalled and am using the 4.73.

Really? In what way? I've only used up to 5.20b, but those drivers were nearly identical with 4.73b.

Quote:

Sample rate is 44.1, S/PDIF ... the only thing checked is PCM Only - I have no clue what this is, Recording DC remove and 20 dB boost is checked, recording select is stereo mix, Smooth GUI mode and stereo expander are selected in Advanced.

Sounds good, except for "stereo expander." IMO, you should leave the job of spatial effects, EQ, mixing, etc. up to the playback program. Plug-ins will do a much better job than the simple effects coded into the drivers.

Quote:

I'd read that this card could be a little "quiet", I'm finding the opposite! At this point anything's better than the creative I had in ... any suggestions on the distortion issue?

I'm not familiar with SAM Broadcaster, so I'm not exactly sure. You'll have to narrow down where the distortion is occurring. Try leaving all of the playback volumes at 0 dB and 100% (except the master volume slider, which shouldn't be the problem), then when you hear distortion, try reducing one of the volume sliders. My guess is that it's the broadcasting program, especially if you're mixing multiple audio signals. In that case, it's safe to turn it down as much as it takes to prevent clipping.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #255 of 512
I would like to ask, this card have no sort of opamp whatsoever right? I'll buy this card soon, not the exact brand, but Evolution 7.1 . Exact carbon copy
biggrin.gif

I'm too tired of playing with opamp on Prodigy HD2, I would like something simpler like this card while having a great sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back