Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Apr 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #466 of 512
I've got a contact at VIA's tech support, drop me a PM if you want her email....english is not her native tongue and she doesn't really understand anything, but worth a shot! I gave up trying to explain her about exclusive mode audio
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #467 of 512
thanks for the offer. i do not think no english is going to work lol. since we are discussing something technical as it is.

my guess is somewhere in the new drivers it is not seeing this cards dsp unit as supporting those features. i will decompile it and see what i can do. i didn't even look if there is a setup.ini that could fix it right there if there is.

if worse comes to worse, the 4.xx adeck runs fine with the 5.50 drivers. i was thinking i'd have something to gain but i don't know.

it is amazing that they are still producing cards with the envy24(and writing drivers)! very unusual for computer hardware to have that longevity. the xonar hands down smokes this card though. it is also a different price. it is nice that it is available though.

thanks,
music_man

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #468 of 512
it is in the .inf in fact. however i cannot figure out how to modify it properly as of yet. the strange thing is that the old inf is exactly the same. so maybe it is indeed not in the inf. it doesn't really matter. the 4.xx a deck is the same. at least i have the 5.50 drivers working.

this is still a good soundcard.

music_man

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #469 of 512
if anyone is intrested. you can use the 5.50 driver with the 4.73b control panel. this may work in windows 7 to use asio.

install the 5.50 with the installer. reboot. take the folder "envyadeck" out of the 4.73 package and drop it in program files. ymmv.

on xp you can install the 5.50,reboot. install the 4.73,reboot. go to hardware and update the driver from the list to the .3655 version.
then you will have the envyadeck from 4.73b that works with asio and the 550b driver.

hope this helps someone.

edit: this only works with the toslink output not the analog out from the wolfson. however, the 5.50a works just fine with asio on the toslink out. so if you have a dac you are in business!

music_man

May 2, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #470 of 512
you can load the 5.50a driver and use the 5.30b control panel like i mentioned above. then with foobar you can use ks output and the sox plugin at 32/192. make sure to put the envy control panel in hi-sample at 192khz. it will output the rear jack and toslink. i am running it into a dac1 and the sound is outstanding. a/b'ing between the dac1 and the chaintech's wolfson is also impressive. the chaintech is not as good but almost close.

i feel this is vastly superior to not upsampling. the only downside is you need a hefty processor. it is using 15% of an i7!

i now have renewed happiness with this card. when was the last time a $25 hardware componet lasted 7 years and counting? good deal.

music_man

May 2, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #471 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel this is vastly superior to not upsampling. the only downside is you need a hefty processor. it is using 15% of an i7!

15% on an i7 for playing bit-perfect 16-bit 44.1kHz mp3 or flac? Either way mine never goes over 1% (usually 0%) on a Core 2 duo...

May 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #472 of 512
it is being resampled to 32/192. resampling that high takes some power. plus it is probably not the most efficient programming. it is a free plugin.

it is going between 0% and 15%. it could be other processes running too. i am not sure. it is going up and down.

music_man

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #475 of 512
also, sorry for the repeated posts, but does this replace the windows output programming for all audio or just the ones for the cd player?

and is there any way to use the wolfson dac without using the optical out? i'm just using the out right next to it.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #476 of 512
Hi guys, 

I've been struggling to get the surr. out to work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I've got a screenshot here of what happens when I try setting Foobar to using KS;

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #477 of 512
Quote:
Hi guys, 

I've been struggling to get the surr. out to work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I've got a screenshot here of what happens when I try setting Foobar to using KS;

Couple things you could try... first I see you've set the sample rate to auto, try 44.1 and see if it that works. If that doesn't fix it update the software version, I'm running program version 0.0.5.2 with drivers 5.12.1.3655 on Win 7 64-bit

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #479 of 512
i know i'm waking this up from the dead and decrepit, but just want to thank everyone who's contributed to this guide, and getting the bugs hammered out with this card and win7 64bit.  i used the instructions on pg.1 using 5.40a control panel (xp sp2 comp. mode), and 4.60b driver.  i did not however use the HF drivers in the amd64 folder within the driver archive.  i used the viaudoem without a hitch although unsure of any issues or differences, but it seem to be working/sounding great .  currently using the foobar KS output component successfully enjoying KS 16bit 44.1khz line out to my old mac amp sounding so. much. better. than the onboard realtek 889a i've been living with for over a year.  had this av710 new since xp was young, and it's been living a lonely life tucked in a dusty drawer for the passed few years. thanks again! this $16 card owes me absolutely nothing yet keeps on giving.  too bad more engineers like the one's who designed this card aren't making more sneakily excellent products.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #480 of 512
hi, i need help getting this thing running:

1) i am using chaintech av-512, i was on win xp pro, and i used this guide, and it worked fine for me (on 5.1)

i upgraded to win7 pro x64, and i followed the updated guide to install on win7 x64
i cant get 5.1 working again for some reason (only getting stereo; tried to do the audio test, doesnt work and get errors with no sound through the different channels)

the driver i'm using is envy 24 family audio controller WDM 64 bits: driver version - 5.1.3646

Graphicism said he's running program version 0.0.5.2 with drivers 5.12.1.3655 on Win 7 64-bit <- where are these drivers and program?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back