CES 2016: New Products Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 38
Thanks for all the updates, interesting stuff! Here's what I think is so far the biggest headphone tech related announcement: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-pro-dacs/ 

It doesn't have an instant effect as it's not an end consumer product, but these chips will result in a new wave of high end sources. On paper this is the highest performing chip on the market now. They also announced some headphone amplifier circuits (for mobile tech) that should power some very cool DAPs in the near future: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/audio-amplifiers/

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 38
I love this: Sony PSH-X500 Turntable - http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-psh-x500/. You can rip Vinyls to PCM or DSD. Its on my shopping list

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 38
Got to hear Fang's "Shangri La" prototype electrostat system today.... 

Mother of god. Better than the 009 + Blue Hawaii combo. Better than OG orpheus. My Orpheus II appointment is tomorrow, I'll bring the same files and see what I think.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 38

Mother of god. Better than the 009 + Blue Hawaii combo. Better than OG orpheus. My Orpheus II appointment is tomorrow, I'll bring the same files and see what I think.  

You're a lucky man Will! Enjoy and we look forward to your reviews. Cheers

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #22 of 38

So when is the next TH-X00 drop, mate?

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #23 of 38

So Will... Don't keep us waiting - did you like the Orpheus 2 even better? :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 38
Hey Folks, had my time with the Orpheus II on Friday, was dope. Best headphone system I've heard. Borrowing from NAS, if I ruled the world, this is the system I'd put on everyone's desk. 

From a pure listening perspective, the orpheus takes it by 3%-5% (might have been more, might have been less, see caveat section below re DACs).

From an aesthetics/package/presentation perspective the Orpheus wins handily, 30%-40% easily. That said, this is not terribly fair because the Shengri La is a prototype and the Orpheus II, while also labeled "prototype", has obviously spent a few years in the Axel Grell design polish machine.  

I have no idea what price Fang has in-mind for the Shangri La. The Orpheus at $55k isn't a real product to be considered and bought by the Audiophile community. It's a cool statement product that will sit on the desks of the wealthiest among us. My response to this, and all the people saying "$55k!?!?! THAT'S INSANE!!" is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yea, it is an insane price point, you're right, but if you're debating the difference between a $500 product and a $700 product, or even a $1000 product and a $5000 product, this isn't meant for you to own. 

It's not meant for me, it's not meant for 99.9% of the people reading this post, but if you're part of the top .01%, and you're at a loss trying to decide your next "$55k bauble" purchase, this is probably better than an extra picasso sketch.  

Now for the caveats: 

I listened to the same files on ("Hotel California" and "Reelin' in the Years") but both systems use a different DAC. When I think about electrostatic headphone systems, especially these two (Orpheus II and Shangri La), I think of the Headphone + Amp as a single unit in the signal path. The Orpheus has it's own DAC, and the HifiMan system was using a HM-901 as the DAC. 

Both rooms were quiet/empty during my demo's but the wonderful CES organizers put Senn's pavilion right next to a subwoofer manufacturer. The subwoofer people started demoing their wares halfway through my second pass on Hotel California so I ended my listening early, still heard it once through. 

Props to Tom from Sennhieser sales for presenting the Orpheus and giving me extra time as the show closed. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 38
What about Orpheus HE10-XX Massdrop version?
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #29 of 38
Hmmm, HD6XX or HD8XX I wonder?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #30 of 38

As tempting as it is to start that rumor, probably not happening. We're focusing on the HD line instead.  

HD6XX, which is an HD650 that is easier to drive and has more sub-bass, would be simply amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back