Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Feb 25, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #961 of 1,140
I'm finding I am not using my skyn as much as I anticipated.  What others have said above is true, the size of the case makes the phone just a bit to bulky to fit in your pocket (mine is an iphone 5S). 

In addition to the size, the fact that you need to take your iphone out of the case to charge it (unless you want to micro-manage the charging process), means my phone is spending more and more time out of the skyn and the skyn gets left at home.

Once I'm home and sit down for a listening session I find that I'd rather be connected to my DAC for the larger music library on my PC (my hi-res library on my iphone is much smaller).  So that is also resulting in the skyn being benched.

As a result, I'm starting to feel a bit of buyer's remorse. 

I'm not giving-up on it quite yet though, because next month I have a four week trip planned and I'm hopeful that traveling is where the skyn will really shine.

But I will conclude by saying that the skyn is not really a practical phone case alternative with the bonus of a DAC/AMP unless you carry a purse (and from the Wu Long Cha's post above it sounds like it might not be great at protecting the phone either), I suspect that instead I need to think of it as a very clean traveling DAC/AMP. 

Hey saillaw

You must be doing something wrong with the charging, leave the phone in the skyn and plug in the micro USB into the skyn, conenct it to a charger preferred 2.5a or above and remember to TURN ON ( 1sec or longer press on the power switch ) the skyn and it will charge both the skyn and the phone.. With a Apple iPad charger it takes a few hours for both the skyn and phone to be fully charged.

Remember the battery in the skyn is only a backup battery that will charge your phone during times your away from the grid.

To get the skyn to charge your phone on the go just give the power switch a short (below 1sec) press and you will see the phones display show its charging

I have the iPod/iPhone 5 version aswell and at first I was put off by the rather bulky size it had. But let's face it, this is not a smart DAP like zx2 and the likes this is a sleeve for a phone and that will ultimately add some considerable bulk to the phone considered what the skyn can do.

Here are some photos comparing a skyn to a iPhone 6 and a Sony zx2 to a iPhone 6

iPhone 6 vs zx2
z0e7QNX.jpg

hOgyjFe.jpg

IPhone 6 vs skyn
QOljGJL.jpg

w5MqhFv.jpg

As you can see from the pictures the skyn is sleeker than a zx2 but longer and they have roughly the same thickness.

All is relative to the one using it, i use it at work as an electrician where I have tons of pockets in my pants and the sleeker design fits better to me :)

I don't think the skyn could ever replace a desktop setup where you have unlimited storage space for hi-res music. The skyn is portable, you can take the skyn with you in the garden or kitchen or every where ells in the house where one in joy music from head-Fi yiu cannot do that with a desktop setup.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #963 of 1,140
Anyone has the mojo and can compare the sound quality of both? Thanks!

My signature is not changed by the CEntrance HiFi-Skyn.

That being said, I have found the Mojo not to work well with every single headphone, and it has a non-standard way of D/A conversion - you may simply not like the Mojo, at all! The Skyn is much more standard D/A conversion, and works well with a wide variety of headphones. I do not recall which headphones worked best with Mojo, and I've found known headphones I dislike to be very much liked by other people. Such as HD800/HD800S sound bad, to me, on Mojo - while other people still highly recommend the pairing.

Quick summary - I have been using the Skyn so much lately that my Mojo required a recharge. However, once I plugged in the same setup from my signature, Mojo > EL-8C, I simply could not put down the headphone until I'd heard about 90 minutes of music. And that was so I could get to work on time. It was just as I recalled it to be, a mesmerizing experience.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #965 of 1,140
Any idea when will they be shipping the iphone 6 model out?

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #966 of 1,140
Anyone else get an ad for a new CEntrance crowdfunding campaign in their email today? I think it is beyond bad taste that they are soliciting crowdfunding money again when they have not yet delivered on all of their commitments from the Skyn campaign. I'm still waiting for my iPhone 6 model. No, I am not impressed by the news of approval. They aren't doing anything to demonstrate that a single lesson has been learned from this campaign.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #967 of 1,140
Anyone else get an ad for a new CEntrance crowdfunding campaign in their email today? I think it is beyond bad taste that they are soliciting crowdfunding money again when they have not yet delivered on all of their commitments from the Skyn campaign. I'm still waiting for my iPhone 6 model. No, I am not impressed by the news of approval. They aren't doing anything to demonstrate that a single lesson has been learned from this campaign.

I got that email. I got the iPod touch/ iPhone 5 model delivered a while ago that's unopened and for sale as I don't need a portable anymore. The iPod touch Skyn has great reviews, but that email about another crowdfunding project kind of left me speechless. Not sure if CEntrance is desperate for cash or oblivious to numerous mistakes.

Im kind of guessing the former as I'm selling way under retail and have had some interest but still for sale

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #968 of 1,140

It's almost a joke isn't it? I long ago requested and received a campaign refund, but I stay subscribed to this thread because every few weeks CEntrance does something else to amaze me. It's beyond belief.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #971 of 1,140
I'm not here to convince you, but rather to explain my reason for liking the idea behind the new CEntrance product.

I bought the CEntrance DACport HD, because I'd read that it was basically using the same parts as the HiFi-Skyn. It was inexpensive, and a quick way to find out if the eventual Skyn product was worth the wait. But I hated the DACport! Soundstage was small, and there was something about it that never quite gelled for me. I was disappointed and not looking forward to the Skyn.

Unrelated, I decided to purchase a USB cleanup device, the REGEN. I was trying my hand at a couple of reviews, and wanted to be certain that my Mac laptop was not the cause of issues for those review devices. I was pleasantly surprised by the effects of the REGEN on the specific devices. So tasked myself to try it on all my USB DAC/AMPs. I was quite blown away by the change it made to the DACport. Whatever issues I had before, this was quite the opposite - simply a sonic nirvana. And I have liked, very much, the sound from the HiFi-Skyn!

I would like a simple desktop, bedside or otherwise option with the internals of the latest CEntrance products. And I don't want to have to bring a Wyrd/REGEN around with me to get it to sound good from my laptop. One could make the argument that this new device should sound similar to the Skyn, yet provide a solution that is not specific to a generation of iPod/iPhone/iPad. My use-case is laptop, and I support the idea behind the new product.

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #972 of 1,140

Hopefully, a lesson was learned from the process of manufacturing in China.  

Browsing the CEntrance website, I saw that the DACportable will be made in the USA.  I also noticed a couple of other "Made in USA" models - the HiFi-M8 and DACport.

Too bad the DACmini PX doesn't show that same designation, as it looks like a real nice desktop solution.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #973 of 1,140
Jumping in to defend CEntrance here. Any of you put off by the delays CEntrance experienced because of Apple and are surprised they are crowdfunding their next new product must not be familiar with LH Labs, creator of the Geek Out (and other products). They have had bunches of products in development at the same time with concurrent crowdfunding campaigns and delays galore. I am still waiting for their DAP, the Geek Wave, which I helped to fund long before the Skyn campaign began...and there is still no end in sight. They email updates pretty often, but as transparent as they are, there is still no completion date being speculated.

Apple forced CEntrance into those delays, and it seems they learned their lesson. The new DACportable will not be seeking Apple approval (which probably means it will require the Apple CCK adaptor). Personally, I'm not digging that chunky form factor shown in the early email. But we'll see where it goes. I am still a big CEntrance fan (and dealer).

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #974 of 1,140
  Jumping in to defend CEntrance here. Any of you put off by the delays CEntrance experienced because of Apple and are surprised they are crowdfunding their next new product must not be familiar with LH Labs, creator of the Geek Out (and other products). They have had bunches of products in development at the same time with concurrent crowdfunding campaigns and delays galore. I am still waiting for their DAP, the Geek Wave, which I helped to fund long before the Skyn campaign began...and there is still no end in sight. They email updates pretty often, but as transparent as they are, there is still no completion date being speculated.

Apple forced CEntrance into those delays, and it seems they learned their lesson. The new DACportable will not be seeking Apple approval (which probably means it will require the Apple CCK adaptor). Personally, I'm not digging that chunky form factor shown in the early email. But we'll see where it goes. I am still a big CEntrance fan (and dealer).

You're aware that Apple delay was a just a part of many issues.
Can you spare some time like say one minute and think as a consumer, not a dealer, are you sure you won't understand people's angry over CEntrance?
For me, the best part is CEntrance mentioned that the delivery goal is March, 2015, not 2016.
Well, hope you enjoy time as a big fan(and dealer). I'm an big anti fan now.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #975 of 1,140

You're aware that Apple delay was a just a part of many issues.
Can you spare some time like say one minute and think as a consumer, not a dealer, are you sure you won't understand people's angry over CEntrance?
For me, the best part is CEntrance mentioned that the delivery goal is March, 2015, not 2016.
Well, hope you enjoy time as a big fan(and dealer). I'm an big anti fan now.

Yuri,
Most of the slack I'll cut them over this is because of the much longer delay from LH Labs. And if you take away Apple's delay time and just look at CEntrance's, it is not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back