Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Mar 3, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #991 of 1,140
***UPDATE: The $339 was a typo, and has been corrected by Michael.  It now shows $399, just as on the HiFi Skyn IGG page and the CEntrance website.

I noticed on the DACportable page that Skyns are available for $339. I believe I pledged a grand total of $2 less than that, including the better DAC and amp extreme that I ponied up for.

Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of my Skyn. But I sit here wondering exactly what advantage was gained by being a very early backer....

As a very early backer I don't know how you ponied up so much?

$199 for the Skÿn
$79 Amp Extreme

That's it. If you ponied up for the upgraded DAC, that was only to reach the stretch goal and not mandatory to get the DAC or Skÿn, so I would put that under personal wrongdoing.

Anyhow, hoping to get my iPhone 6 Skÿn soon.

Cheers....

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #992 of 1,140
As a very early backer I don't know how you ponied up so much?

$199 for the Skÿn
$79 Amp Extreme

That's it. If you ponied up for the upgraded DAC, that was only to reach the stretch goal and not mandatory to get the DAC or Skÿn, so I would put that under personal wrongdoing.

Anyhow, hoping to get my iPhone 6 Skÿn soon.

Cheers....

You're right. At the time I made the donation, I thought that the upgraded DAC would be offered, not included when the stretch goal was met. In other words, I thought (perhaps foolishly) that I was paying for an upgrade to my unit if and when the stretch goal was met, not subsidizing everyone else's.

Looking back at the wording, I can see where it could be taken either way. Lesson learned in the ways of crowd-funding. To be honest, in light of the financial troubles that CEntrance was going through during the campaign, I don't feel so bad about the donation after all.

Here's hoping that you enjoy the sound of your Skyn as much as I do mine.

Date
Feb 20, 2015

Perk
Upgraded D/A Converter
We decided to outdo ourselves and upgraded the D/A Converter. After numerous listening sessions, we selected the amazingly smooth and musical AK4490 from Asahi Kasei. This chip will allow us to offer both DSD-128 and 32-bit audio playback, in addition to lowering the noise and distortion to virtually imperceptible levels. This DAC will be offered only if the campaign reaches $100K. By selecting this perk you are helping us all get this product to a new level! Thank you for your contribution!

Estimated Delivery Date
Apr 15, 2015

Payment Method:
PayPal

Contribution Amount
Upgraded D/A Converter
$59 USD

Additional Gift

Total
$59 USD

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #994 of 1,140
Has anyone received an iPhone 6 Skÿn?

I was actually thinking of asking you that - hoping by now that you had it and liked it 
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #995 of 1,140
I was actually thinking of asking you that - hoping by now that you had it and liked it :frowning2:

The "Final Approval Received" communication indicated that the campaign will conclude in a couple of weeks. Well, that was two weeks ago. I began to wonder if mine was forgotten and most, if not all others, were shipped out. But based on the silence in this thread, it doesn't look like anyone has received an iPhone 6 Skÿn.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #996 of 1,140
The "Final Approval Received" communication indicated that the campaign will conclude in a couple of weeks. Well, that was two weeks ago. I began to wonder if mine was forgotten and most, if not all others, were shipped out. But based on the silence in this thread, it doesn't look like anyone has received an iPhone 6 Skÿn.

CNope not yet received mine. Followed up with CEntrance a week ago and was told I will get a message once their sending it out.

Cheers.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #997 of 1,140

Crowd-funding, never again! 
mad.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #999 of 1,140
I still haven't received mine either. I got confirmation that they had my color request and shipping address the day they received final approval, so it's been 15 days since... Not sure if they're still dealing with iPhone 6+ units and haven't even started shipping the 6s yet, or if they have very recently and they just haven't arrived yet.

My understanding from others who've already received theirs is that you don't get any notice that it was shipped, or any tracking #, it just shows up at your door one day.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,000 of 1,140
latest update says iPhone 6 Skyns are delayed so centrance can fix a problem with YouTube video playback using cell connection.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,001 of 1,140
Erm, I never thought I'd be asking a question about YouTube in a CEntrance portable DAC thread, but here goes...

No, I did not encounter the popping issue. But I am curious if there is a known optimization that occurs in the YouTube app. Perhaps one setting for WiFi and another setting for LTE? If I were to guess, it is simply passing more data through in the WiFi connection. It seemed, possibly due to expectation bias (trying not to go that path - this is not a science thread) to just be cleaner. That's why I'm hoping it is written clearly somewhere - yep on line 3041 of the code, WiFi lets more data through. End of story (I hope).

So, I heard nothing that sounded like popping. But it certainly could have been a lower bitrate version of the same song.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,004 of 1,140
It really is a bummer with the 7 approaching. I will likely change phones and be left with an oversize non portable amp. Maybe there will be a way to separate it from the case and have it just be an amp. I wish I knew about DACPortable way back when...

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,005 of 1,140
It really is a bummer with the 7 approaching. I will likely change phones and be left with an oversize non portable amp. Maybe there will be a way to separate it from the case and have it just be an amp. I wish I knew about DACPortable way back when...

Agreed, that really is what hurts the most about the delays. It's one thing if it's a desktop or transportable dac / amp that's delayed, annoying, but once you get it it's fine. But an iphone case with finite lifespan - it's true that no one's forcing you to upgrade, but the reality is that a lot of people who have the iPhone 6 or 6+ will be upgrading in 6-7 months to the 7/7+ and so will get a much shorter use out of this than if it came out a year ago when originally planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back