Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #946 of 1,140
I'm glad to read the good reviews from the folks that have their Skyn, but for those of us that are still waiting on the iPhone 6 Skyn, this is getting really hard to stomach.

These days when the CEntrance updates hit my inbox, before even opening the email, I begin to wonder what bad news I'm about to read. It's like that uncle in your family that just can't get right.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #947 of 1,140
  I'm glad to read the good reviews from the folks that have their Skyn, but for those of us that are still waiting on the iPhone 6 Skyn, this is getting really hard to stomach.

These days when the CEntrance updates hit my inbox, before even opening the email, I begin to wonder what bad news I'm about to read. It's like that uncle in your family that just can't get right.

Well, clear your mind and don't expect anything. That's my way. It helps, psychologically. 

Michael taught me frequent update isn't as good as I thought. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #948 of 1,140

After a similar experience with LH Labs Geek Out Version 2+ Infinity (delay after delay, and still haven't received it), I decided not to sign up for another crowd-sourced device, although I was very attracted to the concept of the Skyn.  So I have been lurking in this thread for many months.  The advantages are many.  My cash is not tied up.  Hopefully all the hardware fit and software bugs get worked out in the process.   I can see how others like the Skyn, and better understand its limitations and advantages in various use cases.  Buying it when it is immediately available and reviewed by respected reviewers is a great advantage.  Given these factors, the reduced price offered by the crowdsourcing campaign is just not worth it to me.   Also, I am using an iPhone 6 as my source, and the time is getting much shorter until the iPhone 7 is released, requiring a totally different Skyn.    Finally, during the impossibly long wait for a Skyn, another competitor emerged which was attractive, well-tested, having great performance, and available immediately.  That was the Chord Mojo, which was delivered to my home in two days.  I am very satisfied with it.  I will still continue to watch for the Centrance HiFi Skyn, and may even try one out, because I believe it is a great concept.  

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #949 of 1,140
I apologize up front for posting in the wrong thread, but my Google skills are failing me.

I passed the first test, which was to get high resolution files loaded onto the Onkyo HF Player application. I am failing the second test. Does anyone know how to create high resolution playlists?

Nevermind...got it!

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #950 of 1,140
  I apologize up front for posting in the wrong thread, but my Google skills are failing me.

I passed the first test, which was to get high resolution files loaded onto the Onkyo HF Player application. I am failing the second test. Does anyone know how to create high resolution playlists?

Nevermind...got it!

You just had to knock the weekend morning rust off of your Google-Fu.
etysmile.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #951 of 1,140
Is Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn a Game Changer and a Truly Innovative Product?

Yes! I think so and here's why ...

I've had the Hi-Fi Skyn iPod / iPhone 5 edition for a while now. I actually own an iPhone 6 Plus, but instead of getting the iPhone 6 version, I got the iPhone 5 version and repurposed my iPhone 5 as a dedicated audio player. Eventually, I ended up selling my iPhone 5 and thanks to an Apple employee discount from a friend, got the iPod Touch at a great price. Hence, now the iPod Touch 6th Gen along with my Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn is my dedicated portable hi-fi system ... and I couldn't be happier!

This setup has completely change the way I listen to music at home and outside.

Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn @ Home

Prior to the Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn, my main setup was the Centrance Hi-Fi M8 along with my Oppo PM-2 headphones. There were 2 main issues with this setup.

1. The Hi-Fi M8 needs a proprietary charger and hence can become a bit of a pain lugging the charger around the house
2. The Hi-Fi M8 setup itself is bulky and not optimal compared to the sleek Hi-Fi Skyn to carry around the house.

So, most of the time the M8 sat on my desk and I ended up listening to music with my headphones directly hooked up to my iPhone. I used the Hi-Fi M8 setup only during times I was sitting at my desk.

Since getting the Hi-Fi Skyn and the iPod, I can listen to great quality music anywhere in the house, even when I'm at the kitchen, sorting some paperwork, cleaning, etc. etc. It gives me great flexibility and the entire setup fits in my pocket! Also, since the charging is via USB (thank god for that!), I can pretty much charge it anywhere and can also use my charging station for charging the device.

In summary, I'm listening to high quality music a lot more often now with a lot more flexibility and without needing to lug around a whole bunch of devices and cables.

Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn Outdoors

I enjoy nature walks / hiking. I live in Singapore so there aren't too many places to go hiking but there are a few nice quiet nature walks:

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2015/06/singapore-best-nature-walks/

Up until now, I've used my favorite outdoor headphones, the Beyerdynamics T51p, plugged in directly to my iPhone while hiking. To be perfectly honest, it sounded great! I'm listening to music in a quiet but not super quiet environment, while walking or at time running. So this is not a bad setup. At times, I tried using my FiiO E12 to get slightly better sound, but the overall setup was way too bulky and completely unusable after 5 minutes (I tried put the FiiO in 1 pocket, the iPhone in another, connected through a longish wire etc. etc.).

Enter the Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn! The iPod edition of the Hi-Fi Skyn is just about the right size to fit into my trekking shorts/ pants without it being too bulky or uncomfortable. It does need a bit getting used to though. A few weeks ago, I tried this setup for the first time - iPod touch, Hi-Fi Skyn, Beyerdynamic T51p, while on an outdoor nature walk. The result was stunning to say the least. Even though the listening environment wasn't super quiet, the sound was super clear and sounded alive. The overall volume was turned way down (to ensure that I'm paying attention to my surrounding environment) but despite that, it sounded way better than when plugged into my phone directly. Overall, it was a fabulous experience.

Singapore has great 4G coverage everywhere but since my iPod touch only has WiFi, I was limited only to music I had previously downloaded. That was the only down-side to this setup. But, for once, I was able to listen to really good quality music, while outdoors, while in a nature trail, enjoying 2 things I really enjoy! ... and while the Skyn is large, it wasn't that uncomfortable after getting used to it after a short while.

While running, this setup wasn't optimal, so I switched back to the iPhone + running headphones instead.

I cannot wait to try this setup when I go on a longer hike, not in Singapore, of course!

Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn While Traveling

This was another situation where I couldn't even think of taking my M8 along, even though it is considered a portable solution. I tried it a few times and then ended up traveling just with my headphones, just because the M8 was too bulky and not super convenient while traveling. Worst of all, I needed to carry that massive charger when taking the M8 on a trip. The Hi-Fi Skyn changes that since I don't have to carry a dedicated charger and it's a sleek enough gadget to carry as a dedicated audio device on my trips. I can also load up some movies while on the go if I want and I can listen to great audio while viewing video.

So why not buy a dedicated and sleeker hi-fi portable system from Sony, FiiO or Astell&Kern

The answer is simple. Personally, I like iOS and the iOS interfaces. I like the apps - the music apps, the video apps, YouTube etc. etc. I have tried out the portable all-in-one systems from FiiO, Astell&Kern etc. and while they sound delicious, I hated the interface. Maybe, hate is a too strong word. I just like the iOS interface. I have been using iOS ever since the Gen 1 iPod touch and I'm used to it.

I use Spotify (high quality) for 90% of my listening and plan to give Tidal another shot after hearing recommendations on this forum. I also listen to YouTube primarily because a lot of awesome new bands that play awesome cover songs are only available on YouTube (for now). 

So, the Skyn enable the iPod to become like having a Astell&Kern device, but with the iOS software and user interface. Best of both worlds! Ok, ok, the Skyn looks down right ugly compared to the Astell&Kern and is actually quite bulky. But its better than anything else that's out there, isn't it? And that's why in my opinion, the Skyn is a game changer.

As an added advantage, I can also watch movies etc. on this device, which I cannot on a dedicated high end portable audio system.

Summary

The fact that the Centrance Hi-Fi Skyn is a great sounding product is not in doubt. Everyone agrees that it sounds at least as good as the Hi-Fi M8, which has received great reviews in the past. Which is why I haven't focused on the sound quality but the utility of the gadget.

In summary, the Hi-Fi Skyn makes it a lot more convenient to listen to hi-fi music using a device that I already like, i.e. an iOS device. As a result of this, I'm listening to high quality music a lot more often.

I cannot see myself using a "Skyn-ed" iPhone as my primary phone as I cannot see myself carrying this setup to the office, restaurant etc. and taking a phone call using this setup. And taking the phone in and out of this device all the time would be too troublesome. 

That does mean that I still have 2 devices - my iPhone 6 plus, which is my mobile phone and a separate audio device, the iPod Touch with the Skyn. So it's not exactly the solution that Centrance is trying to provide. They're trying to sell an integrated solution.

But for me, having the Skyn to turn my secondary iOS device into a dedicated high quality audio player is a good option since it gives me a lot more flexibility than carrying another device hooked up to my iPhone such as the Chord Mojo or Centrance Hi-Fi M8.

Is it a finished product? I would say No! There are a lot of areas for improvement and the product itself doesn't seem as solid compared to the Hi-Fi M8. The plastic is ... well, plasticky and flimsy! The little rubber bit, that is there to make the iPod Touch fit properly with the Skyn, is not so nice and I've dropped it several times and I'm afraid of losing it. The switches as just not that nice either. Overall, it seems like a demo unit or a Beta unit. I suppose that's what it is and all the contributors to the Indiegogo campaign helped pull together a product that has great future, but not, in my opinion, a polished, product. The campaign itself has had its share of issues and hopefully its close to getting resolved so that everyone can see how truly remarkable a product this is.

So it's not a perfect solution by any means. But is it a game changer? Is it a truly innovative product? I would say yes - simply because it provides and all-in-one solution to convert your iOS device into an incredible audio player without needing to carry additional devices, wires etc. It allows you to continue to use iOS instead of compromising and using a different UI (with another device from Sony, Astell&Kern etc.) and it also allows you to watch movies on your iOS device with great sound!

I'll be posting some pictures soon.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #952 of 1,140
My CEntrance hifi skyn for iPod arrived today.

I'm glad I choose to get the skyn for the iPod because of the size. I originally planned to get the iPhone 6 version and when the new iPhone is launched I would use it as a dap with the skyn. But again I'm really happy I choose the iPod because of the size, I can access it with 1 hand I would by have been able to do that with the iPhone 6 model.

The finish of the product is really nice and the touch of the skyn is soft and clean. It's easy to install the iPod just place it with the added rubber slip and slide the lid on peace of cake, and it's just as easy to get the iPod out.

Listening impressions will come ones I have some hours of listening into it :) but here is some pictures of opening the package.

PCba1PZ.jpg

jRp6kgT.jpg

EJaNL4L.jpg

V1GTcUM.jpg

mtiKY3l.jpg

QT7vm13.jpg

cLPVA8X.jpg

KcMOAmp.jpg

eEmDJ0W.jpg

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #953 of 1,140
This thread got quiet - is anyone with iPhone 6+ still having an issue? I highly recommend you send it in! The repair is quick, painless. My Skyn was shipped back to me, and it is beautiful! It is an absolute perfect fit!

Kudos to CEntrance 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #954 of 1,140
I also received my new Skyn for my iPhone 6+. With the mod to the case it also fits perfectly. Very happy with the final result. Great sound with my Westone iems as well as with Beyerdynamic T5p and LCD2 headphones. The old stack I had has been retired!

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #958 of 1,140
My unit sounds fantastic.  

The 3 gain settings are very nice, and I haven't had any trouble driving a variety of cans that I have on hand.  It is great to finally be able to drive my HD 650's to a decent volume level.  This was not even possible with the phone by itself, let alone with the far better sonics with the Skyn in place.

This thing is too large for full-time use.  I suppose I knew it was going to be big, but once in hand it is quite the monster - over 8 inches tall.  Not pocket friendly.  

I look forward to using this hardwired to my deepblue2 in addition to headphone duty.

A word on charging - I first plugged it into a USB port on the computer, and it sat there for hours and hours without achieving full charge.  I thought something was wrong with the unit.  But after reading the manual, I plugged it into a proper 2.5A wall charger. At that point, it charged quickly and the charging light went off as it should.  Lesson learned.

My only real quibble is with the fit - there are still gaps on the side and in front, but it snaps together after the mod and (because it sounds so good) I can live with this minor issue.  My best guess is that since my phone is the 6S+, maybe those with the 6+ will get a tighter fit.  I haven't seen a report from anyone with the 6S+, so not sure if that .001" larger size makes a difference or not.

All in all, the HiFi Skyn is a great product.  I am happy that this project finally overcame the many hurdles and made it to market, and also glad that CEntrance didn't go under in the process.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #959 of 1,140
Anyone has the mojo and can compare the sound quality of both? Thanks!

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #960 of 1,140
I'm finding I am not using my skyn as much as I anticipated.  What others have said above is true, the size of the case makes the phone just a bit to bulky to fit in your pocket (mine is an iphone 5S). 

In addition to the size, the fact that you need to take your iphone out of the case to charge it (unless you want to micro-manage the charging process), means my phone is spending more and more time out of the skyn and the skyn gets left at home.

Once I'm home and sit down for a listening session I find that I'd rather be connected to my DAC for the larger music library on my PC (my hi-res library on my iphone is much smaller).  So that is also resulting in the skyn being benched.

As a result, I'm starting to feel a bit of buyer's remorse. 

I'm not giving-up on it quite yet though, because next month I have a four week trip planned and I'm hopeful that traveling is where the skyn will really shine.

But I will conclude by saying that the skyn is not really a practical phone case alternative with the bonus of a DAC/AMP unless you carry a purse (and from the Wu Long Cha's post above it sounds like it might not be great at protecting the phone either), I suspect that instead I need to think of it as a very clean traveling DAC/AMP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back