Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Jul 9, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,096 of 1,140
Didn't realize that people are still waiting to receive their units. I hope once you guys receive it, the fit is great because the convenience (if you don't have to tape it) and sound is worth it.

I expect to see the Centrance name on the Fortune 500 list soon.  Any company who can take your money, refuse to give it back or provide a product or service should be doing pretty well.  

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,099 of 1,140
Happy to see people are receiving [and selling] them. I still don't have it, and haven't heard from them in weeks after refusing to issue me a refund.  If, and apparently a BIG if, I ever receive the Hi Fi Skyn, I'll be back to sell it for peanuts!

Only positive I've gained is to never do business with Centrance ever again.
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,100 of 1,140
I don't want to be too hard on Ceentrance I think they make great products, it is just these dammed Indiegogo campaigns - never again even if its from the best company ever.  Plus I just bought the Sines with cypher cable  and i also have a tiny Dragonfly black with CCK that I use with IEMs that fits in my pocket while waiting for skin.  I am sure the Sines will probably sound better with the Skyn but cypher is really convenient and sounds really good too.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,101 of 1,140
  Has any one figured a way to use this with PC or Mac? If yes what kind of cable to use, Thanks

This really isn't the Centrance product you should be using to connect to a computer, there are a lot more elegant solutions (if you want to stay Centrance, you can use their HiFi-M8 / Mini-M8 if you need power/heft (and also direct iPhone connectivity options) or their newer DACPort HD).

I personally use my HiFi-M8 connected to my computer to drive my MrSpeakers Ether C's via 4-pin XLR (and occasionally, when I want to move around at home, I'll connect my iPhone to the HiFi-M8). And the Skyn with my JH Angies when out and about. I think the HiFi-Skyn is really more meant to be for portable or on-the-go situations.

Happy to see people are receiving [and selling] them. I still don't have it, and haven't heard from them in weeks after refusing to issue me a refund.  If, and apparently a BIG if, I ever receive the Hi Fi Skyn, I'll be back to sell it for peanuts!

@Jazzi, wow, that's crazy, you must really be basically at the end of the list! I thought I was at the bottom, and I got it just before the 4th of July long weekend...

I don't want to be too hard on Ceentrance I think they make great products, it is just these dammed Indiegogo campaigns - never again even if its from the best company ever.  Plus I just bought the Sines with cypher cable  and i also have a tiny Dragonfly black with CCK that I use with IEMs that fits in my pocket while waiting for skin.  I am sure the Sines will probably sound better with the Skyn but cypher is really convenient and sounds really good too.

@Maelob, oof I hear you... if you got Sines + Cypher cable, that really does limit the value of the Skyn. I agree that the Skyn will (hopefully) sound better - I'd think Centrance's implementation of the AK4490 DAC (a great chip and the one used in the $3499 AK380, newer "budget-oriented" $899 AK300 as well as the Schiit Bifrost) will be better than what's in the Cypher cable, not to mention a significantly better amp... that being said, you can't beat the convenience and sleekness of a Cypher cable directly into your iPhone. I mentioned in my review that my only real gripe with the Skyn (besides the delays) was its size with my iPhone 6S. As always, it's about trade-offs.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing your Sines with Skyn vs Cypher cable. Whether you hear a difference, and whether that difference is worth the loss of convenience / form factor.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,102 of 1,140

@Jazzi, wow, that's crazy, you must really be basically at the end of the list! I thought I was at the bottom, and I got it just before the 4th of July long weekend...

Ha, yeah, I'm guessing the request for a refund didn't quite make me a favorite in the shipping department.  
biggrin.gif

It's okay, though.  If I can recover some of the money by selling it new in the box, I'll consider it the cost of a 'teachable moment' and avoid Indiegogo like the plague! I think I sent the money in February 2015 -- that's right -- I said 2015!! 
mad.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,103 of 1,140

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing your Sines with Skyn vs Cypher cable. Whether you hear a difference, and whether that difference is worth the loss of convenience / form factor.

If I don't sell the skyn soon, I will do some comparisons.   

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,140
I literally just got my Skyn (iPhone 6 model) yesterday. Judged on its own merit, it's a great product. But after literally 18 months wait, I'm pretty ticked at Centrance. Even after the iPhone 6 models started shipping, they continued to lie to me regarding where I was on the list.

Anyhow, now that I have it, I'll do my best to forget the cluster&@$# that was this indiegogo campaign and instead enjoy it for what it is: a great sounding all-in-one head-fi solution for my iPhone.

-----------

Edit: I seem to be one of the lucky ones regarding fit. My iPhone 6s has no wobble, but there is no gap on the sides either. The button and camera cutouts are in all the right places. My only concern is that the cover took some work to snap on properly, and I fear having to swap my iPhone in and out. Over time I can easily imagine the cover loosening or getting misaligned.

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,105 of 1,140
Received my Skyn today! Popped one on my iPhone 5, and tested the difference between my iPhone6S Plus and I could hear the difference clearly!

The 6Plus case blew me away with its size, I can pocket my 6SPlus, no problems, but this skyn fella would result in me needing a jacket to pocket it. It's like having carrying a oversized game boy! I can only imagine the comments I would get taking calls at work with it on. Haha.

But listening to this device after all of these years in anticipation, laying off my GoDAP4s and using just my iPhone6SPlus and ER4S... I was blown away, it was glorious. My stress filled day at work, obliterated. I'm charmed and it sudden looks so good! I would carry this baby around town and flaunt it. If it was manageable.

Since I don't wear a jacket most of my time, not to mention pockets that fit, I've had to put my leather case back on. But that's alright to me. Maybe it'll be my bed companion alongside my dacmini, and maybe I'll take out my iPhone 5 version instead.

I think the only issue I saw was maybe the 6SPlus is a bit bigger than the 6Plus so there are small gaps on side of the case. Other than that I'm very content with the build quality. Great job Centrance!

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,106 of 1,140
The more I listen, the more the Skyn is growing on me! I hear a lot of texture in the music through my Shure SRH-1840s that previously I couldn't hear, plus the background is totally black.

As DrSheep pointed out in his review on headpie, the Skyn is on the cool side of neutral. It matches well with my Shures, which are a touch warm, and with Senn Monentums. It doesn't pair quite as well with Alpha Dogs, IMO, slightly thin sounding.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,109 of 1,140
I must be the only person in the world who hasn't yet received their skyn!

$323 dollars (skyn+amp upgrade+postage and handling) and.....nothing!  Asked for a refund -- denied.  Paid for shipping...nothing! Asked them to have their lawyers contact me....nothing!

It's not like they didn't have time to complete the order.  I paid through Indiegogo on March 1 -- 2015!!!

If anyone knows how to get this company to act honorably, please PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back