Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
May 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #586 of 1,140
Well, just read the latest update and am beginning to wonder if we will have any chance of getting this product anytime soon. Have been patiently waiting as planned to use the Skyn for work and on the go but just couldn't stand the sound straight out of my work iMac any longer, so pulled the plug on a Meridian Explorer. This was supposed to be a stop gap but I am actually LOVING the sound - more so that my current home system which is the Centrance DACmini CX. So, now, I am actually using this for work AND as a stand alone DAC connected to the amp of the CX. I really hope I did the right thing by backing this Skyn - gotta admit, doubts are creeping in now…..

May 22, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #587 of 1,140
You did the right thing on getting another amp for the meantime. That's the thing about crowdfunding projects, we have to wait it out for better or for worse. All we can do for now is cheer Michael on and believe that the wait if worth it. What gets me down though is the fact that the older iPhone 5 model was given priority and we have to wait a bit longer for the iPhone 6 Skyn. Also, Spetember is around the corner and the new iPhone models (6S) will be here so basically some iPhone 5 owners will be moving on and upgrading their phones. My point is, it would have been better if the priority was placed on the 6.

But yep, cheering CEntrance on and hope we get an audiophilic fully-cooked amp-EXTREME Skyn by July/August.

May 23, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #589 of 1,140
i do not get it, in the latest update they mention they want to make the skyn sound better than m8, and does this mean a new version of skyn will be followed after the first release or does it mean they will add more improvement to the version that is due to be released

May 23, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #590 of 1,140
  i do not get it, in the latest update they mention they want to make the skyn sound better than m8, and does this mean a new version of skyn will be followed after the first release or does it mean they will add more improvement to the version that is due to be released

It's on release, as Mike already switched to the AKM 4490 DAC, which is the same in the new AK380 but at a faction of the cost.

May 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #591 of 1,140
You did the right thing on getting another amp for the meantime. That's the thing about crowdfunding projects, we have to wait it out for better or for worse. All we can do for now is cheer Michael on and believe that the wait if worth it. What gets me down though is the fact that the older iPhone 5 model was given priority and we have to wait a bit longer for the iPhone 6 Skyn. Also, Spetember is around the corner and the new iPhone models (6S) will be here so basically some iPhone 5 owners will be moving on and upgrading their phones. My point is, it would have been better if the priority was placed on the 6.

But yep, cheering CEntrance on and hope we get an audiophilic fully-cooked amp-EXTREME Skyn by July/August.

Agree that they probably should have focused on the iPhone 6 model. On first glance, it seemed to be more logical to do the older one first (since iPhone 6 users probably won't be upgrading for awhile), but because of delays, I bet a lot of iPhone 5 users are only a few months away from getting an iPhone 6s (assuming same form factor as 6) and would rather get the iPhone 6 skyn instead.

Hopefully it's worth the wait!

May 25, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #592 of 1,140
Agree that they probably should have focused on the iPhone 6 model. On first glance, it seemed to be more logical to do the older one first (since iPhone 6 users probably won't be upgrading for awhile), but because of delays, I bet a lot of iPhone 5 users are only a few months away from getting an iPhone 6s (assuming same form factor as 6) and would rather get the iPhone 6 skyn instead.

Hopefully it's worth the wait!

When everyone was debating whether Michael should take more time fixing the "tick" sound, I posted a comment on the campaign page reminding everyone that new phone models are coming soon. This is a tricky sort of thing, isn't it, because this product is tied to Apple's timeline as well. But regarding the delays in a general sense... nothing new here. Are the developers ever on time with these kinds of projects? I wish companies would overestimate rather than underestimate on these kinds of deadlines. In fairness, Michael has made several improvements along the way and faced unexpected hiccups. Product developers should just assume these things are going to happen, rather than give a best-case scenario prediction of the release date. That would probably result in less interest from potential backers, with the product seeming too far away to garner enough initial interest... I think there's a bit of a "game" that must be played here. It just comes with the territory.

Bottom line is, I think this type of product is the future of portable audio. A single device in your pocket that is both as powerful and versatile as a smart phone, and sounds as good as a triple-brick of portable audio equipment. That's the idea anyways. I'm excited somebody took a chance trying to develop it, and I hope it's a smashing success. I think the challenge is definitely that smart phones change in shape every 1-2 years. At least with Apple, the trend seems that the phone's shape only changes every two years rather than one. I suppose that's a good thing for a company like CEntrance; your customers will be back every year or two. But it's a challenge getting the product out as quickly as possible to maximize customer interest. If this product is successful, hopefully they will get better at releasing future models more quickly.

Edit: Punctuation

May 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #593 of 1,140
When everyone was debating whether Michael should take more time fixing the "tick" sound, I posted a comment on the campaign page reminding everyone that new phone models are coming soon. This is a tricky sort of thing, isn't it, because this product is tied to Apple's timeline as well. But regarding the delays in a general sense... nothing new here. Are the developers ever on time with these kinds of projects? I wish companies would overestimate rather than underestimate on these kinds of deadlines. In fairness, Michael has made several improvements along the way and faced unexpected hiccups. Product developers should just assume these things are going to happen, rather than give a best-case scenario prediction of the release date. That would probably result in less interest from potential backers, with the product seeming too far away to garner enough initial interest... I think there's a bit of a "game" that must be played here. It just comes with the territory.

Bottom line is, I think this type of product is the future of portable audio. A single device in your pocket that is both as powerful and versatile as a smart phone, and sounds as good as a triple-brick of portable audio equipment. That's the idea anyways. I'm excited somebody took a chance trying to develop it, and I hope it's a smashing success. I think the challenge is definitely that smart phones change in shape every 1-2 years. At least with Apple, the trend seems that the phone's shape only changes every two years rather than one. I suppose that's a good thing for a company like CEntrance; your customers will be back every year or two. But it's a challenge getting the product out as quickly as possible to maximize customer interest. If this product is successful, hopefully they will get better at releasing future models more quickly.

Edit: Punctuation

Good points, it probably is a bit of an "artful game" to be played between optimistic and realistic production schedules, though I generally prefer erring on the side of "underpromise - overdeliver". There was clearly strong demand for the product given the campaign raised over 10x the original goal, but I guess it's a learning process for everyone involved.

There's still some uncertainty about what the next iPhone model will look like, although I think most likely is an iPhone 6S (not 7) in the same form factor as the current iPhone 6, which would be best for the Skyn.

May 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #594 of 1,140
Thanks for your support guys and gals. We have been posting campaign updates on the indiegogo site. To summarize, I plan to show the final plastic for the iPhone 5 this weekend in Newport. I will have final colors available. The plastic for iPhone 6 and 6+ will be available in 2-3 weeks and production is planned for mid June. We are working despite the delays. It is beginning to look like the new iPhones will be similar in shape to current phones, so hopefully the plastic chassis will last you awhile.

May 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #597 of 1,140
According to Michael at the campaign site, the initial units "sound sweet and work well. I'm actually placing my own iPhone 5 into a Skyn and using it that way from now on." So now we know why you decided to do the iPhone 5 model first Michael 
wink_face.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #598 of 1,140
We did an informal poll among our customers earlier and learned that the split between models is pretty equal. 30% iPhone 5, 30% iPhone 6 and 30% iPhone 6+.

I did not expect this distribution. I was secretly hoping that I would be able to skip at least one model and save money on the injection molds. But... Had to make all three as it turned out.

May 31, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #599 of 1,140
We did an informal poll among our customers earlier and learned that the split between models is pretty equal. 30% iPhone 5, 30% iPhone 6 and 30% iPhone 6+.

I did not expect this distribution. I was secretly hoping that I would be able to skip at least one model and save money on the injection molds. But... Had to make all three as it turned out.

Pictures are looking good in the campaign updates.
Keep up the good work mgoodman /cheers

May 31, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #600 of 1,140

Are you guys still going to make one for iPod Touch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back