Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #436 of 1,326
Quote:
i am guessing you mean using the ipad/camera connection kit- to usb-B port on the hifi-m8 lx. Dunno. Maybe mike mercer can try.

My guess is a no. But lets be scientists about this.

@mike mercer-test please.

Sorry guys!
and I'm in a good position to try it: I'm using the HiFi-M8 on my desktop 
(via my MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra rig, goin in USB - and using Mad Dogs balanced).

I tried hooking up my iPad to the USB DAC/computer input via the cam connection kit and USB cable,
NO DICE

But, I guess for this version that makes sense, perhaps its in order to meet Apple approval (maybe its a part
of the approval process that you can't allow tricks like this, since you can just hook up the iPad/iDevices
on this version and go).

But, it was interesting to try!

Now I'm using my iPad as a source though (going in thru the iDevice input)!!  

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #439 of 1,326
Not buying it.

The iPad to CCK to USB-B port on the M8 LX should work fine.  The whole point with the CCK is that it would allow the iPad and itunes to be played on regular (non Apple licensed) outboard DAC/amps.  Why should the M8 USB port (either version) be any different?

EDIT:  It's coming back to me now...  Your iPad will only feed an unpowered outboard device up to 100 mA each, unless you use a powered USB hub which allows it to feed up to 500 mA (as I remember).  There was an unpowered USB hub out about the same time as the CCK called a T3Hub by Dr. Bott that somehow tricked the iPad into thinking that it was a powered USB hub and thereby allowed up to 500 mA to be drawn by the external device through the iPad USB port.  I believe that their present USB hub product (unpowered) , the iLuv, also shares this capability.  There may be others (all?) these days.  If in doubt, just use a powered USB hub in the output signal path.  There should be be battery and solar powered hubs for portable use, as well.  It's been a while since I looked into it.   

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #440 of 1,326
I guess the question to Mike is:
-did you try the left or right switch on the hifi-m8 (on/of, usb-b and usb-a switches).

It would need to be on the left switch for that input.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #441 of 1,326
Quote:
Not buying it.

The iPad to CCK to USB-B port on the M8 LX should work fine.  The whole point with the CCK is that it would allow the iPad and itunes to be played on regular (non Apple licensed) outboard DAC/amps.  Why should the M8 USB port (either version) be any different? 

Sorry to hear.  You'd be missing out!  To be brutally honest, I'm not sure why it would be any different.
Like I said, my GUESS is simply that in order to meet Apple's guidelines for a Made for iPod iPhone iPad product - perhaps they don't allow for this kinda of audio trickery - as with my version you just use the iDevice input.

Perhaps @MGoodman could shine some light on this.

But lemme say, as I will in my upcoming review in full:

The CEntrance HiFi-M8 is FAR ahead of other portable DAC/hphone amp combos I've tried in terms of sheer dynamic clarity and punch.  It's transient velocity is staggeringly fast, and it's as transparent as they come - but with MORE, CLEAN, power.  It's like carrying the power of a desktop unit with you.  And I own (and love) a Sony PHA-1, ALO International, Ray Samuels Intruder, (and others)!!

I wouldn't let something like that hold you back, personally.
Reach out to CEntrance, I'm sure they have a solution for you.

Look at all the features they built-in because of their consistent communication with Head-Fiers throughout the course of the project!

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #442 of 1,326
Sorry guys!
and I'm in a good position to try it: I'm using the HiFi-M8 on my desktop 
(via my MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra rig, goin in USB - and using Mad Dogs balanced).

I tried hooking up my iPad to the USB DAC/computer input via the cam connection kit and USB cable,
NO DICE

But, I guess for this version that makes sense, perhaps its in order to meet Apple approval (maybe its a part
of the approval process that you can't allow tricks like this, since you can just hook up the iPad/iDevices
on this version and go).

But, it was interesting to try!

Now I'm using my iPad as a source though (going in thru the iDevice input)!!  

Try using a powered USB hub in line with the USB cable into the M8!

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #443 of 1,326
The CCK was meant for cameras. Just that head-fiers found a way to use it for iPad music. Apple never planned it that way.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #445 of 1,326
Quote:
To say it again, mine worked.

I for one, am glade to hear such info.  but I'd also like to know the definition of "worked". and WHAT iDevice?  it matters, because results could be:
a)  it played music and i could hear it
b)  it only played AAC256,mp3, 16/44 files
c)  it down sampled 24/96 music to 16/44?  (how would one even KNOW?)
d)  it played AIFF 24/96 or ALAC or FLAC 24/96 natively (how can this be proven?)

Wow.  we really need some input on CEntrance to clear up all this iDevice mystery (yes it does, not it shouldn't work) since the M8 is licensed and "Apple" tested.
and how to confirm it's actually PLAYING 24/96 files natively?
can anyone (@mgoodman) clarify the understanding is that ONLY
 iPod Touch (after 4th neg?)
 iPad (after version 2)
 iPhone 5 (IOS 6+)
will spew out 24/96 bitstream, leaving the M8 to DAC/Amp it from there....

my point:  not all iDevices are created equal.
details are required.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #446 of 1,326
Quote:

Wow.  we really need some input on CEntrance to clear up all this iDevice mystery (yes it does, not it shouldn't work) since the M8 is licensed and "Apple" tested.

Perhaps a info page for Android and iDevices similar to the ones for the Cypher Labs version of the Fostex HP-P1 (only difference being the price tag and 24/96 support)?

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #447 of 1,326
Quote:

I read one time that even tho it's undocumented, some agency or company found that the CCK could indeed pass 24/96 from the iPad.  Now whether that was 16 bit padded with 8 zeros is another story, but hopefully CEntrance is finding us a pathway out of that morass.  I can try to find a link to that review if you want.

I also doubt if Centrance is willing to spend a whole lot of time playing around with the iPad CCK to USB capabilites, since the Apple LOD input is the focus of their energies right now.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #448 of 1,326
I for one, am glade to hear such info.  but I'd also like to know the definition of "worked". and WHAT iDevice?  it matters, because results could be:
a)  it played music and i could hear it
b)  it only played AAC256,mp3, 16/44 files
d)  it played AIFF 24/96 or ALAC or FLAC 24/96 natively (how can this be proven?)

can anyone (@mgoodman) clarify the understanding is that ONLY
 iPod Touch (after 4th neg?)
 iPad (after version 2)
 iPhone 5 (IOS 6+)
will spew out 24/96 bitstream, leaving the M8 to DAC/Amp it from there....

my point:  not all iDevices are created equal.
details are required.

The CCK only works with the iPad. This discussion has nothing to do with high-res files. The question was whether the iPad with CCK would work with the USB B input on the M8. The answer is yes.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #449 of 1,326
Great question. Just tried it on my iDevice M8 - iPad > CCK > USB B input (normally computer input). Works fine. LX is almost certainly going to work as well.

To say it again, mine worked.
oops -missed that sorry.

Now to test with LX version to be fully confirmed.

Can anyone test with recent iphone/ touch models also. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #450 of 1,326
Quote:

I read one time that even tho it's undocumented, some agency or company found that the CCK could indeed pass 24/96 from the iPad.  Now whether that was 16 bit padded with 8 zeros is another story, but hopefully CEntrance is finding us a pathway out of that morass.  I can try to find a link to that review if you want.

I also doubt if Centrance is willing to spend a whole lot of time playing around with the iPad CCK to USB capabilites, since the Apple LOD input is the focus of their energies right now.

I recall the similar "CCK review" but it also was inconclusive about padding zeros?

understood on CEntrance likely not trying to prove/disprove the CCK to USB issue, with the Apple LOD (usb A) input being there on M8 iDevice models.
but I'd still like to hear CEntrance/Apple confirm:   "if user wants native 24/96 output, use this adapter/cable/port on these iPodTouches/iPads/iPhone models, or you are back to 16/44 by default."

my plan may be too simple but appears to be headed towards:
 mothball iPod Classic
get a newer iPod Touch  (with iSub application)
or get newer iPhone 5S  or newer iPad (with iSub application)
+
Lightning to 30pin adapter
+
CEntrace included 30pin to USB cable into M8

FWIW, I have gotten lossless streaming to office computers and iPhone 4S by using Subsonic (streaming server software) on my home iMac.
thus, I have much LESS need for iPod classics (GB storage) these days (except for no-wifi/offline areas) as the iSub app (and it's beta successor) can stream native AIFF and ALAC files over a network connection (4G, wifi).

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back