Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #211 of 1,326
I tried the M8 at Mook festival, pretty good sounding. Remind me the sound of dac mini, I only thing I feel not really good is imaging. I feel lack of depth. Everything else are excellent

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #212 of 1,326
I forgot to mention this, but when using my iPhone 4S without airplane mode on, I heard a LOT of interference.
This was with the dual 4-pin XLR version, forgot to test for interference with the 1/4 + 1 x 4-pin XLR unit.

Did anyone else experience this?

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #213 of 1,326
Quote:
I forgot to mention this, but when using my iPhone 4S without airplane mode on, I heard a LOT of interference.
This was with the dual 4-pin XLR version, forgot to test for interference with the 1/4 + 1 x 4-pin XLR unit.

Did anyone else experience this?

That's not good news at all.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #214 of 1,326
Yes, I've been meaning to contact Michael about this. I'm using the iPhone 5 and am getting interference. And it doesn't matter if its strapped to the m8 or connected via the long stock sync cable, I still get the same interference.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #215 of 1,326
Quote:
Finally got to try the HiFi M8 today at the Mook Audio Festival.
All I can say is that our preorder money was well spent indeed.

Build quality is great, as expected of a CEntrance product. I think a red iPod Touch would look amazing on top of the M8.
Couldn't really judge SQ well as the FitEar booth next to the CEntrance one was buzzing with activity at the time, but the M8 sounded clear and authoritative.
I especially liked the bass and treble switch; they were noticeable but not glaring like many other bass boosts.
Personally, with my TG!334 I left both the switches in the middle (1 level of boost).

Thanks CEntrance! Can't wait for my unit to ship out in August...

Thank you for the good words. We can't wait to ship your M8 to you!

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #216 of 1,326
Quote:
Yes, I've been meaning to contact Michael about this. I'm using the iPhone 5 and am getting interference. And it doesn't matter if its strapped to the m8 or connected via the long stock sync cable, I still get the same interference.

That's not good to hear. We've conducted extensive tests and it sounded very clean. We have iPhone 3GS, 4, 4GS, 5 and a number of iPads and iPods. All sound clear.
Could you describe the conditions in more detail and specifically what you hear and when? Feel free to email me directly to provide fastest service. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #217 of 1,326
Quote:

Well for me that pretty much ruins the idea of iDevice connectivity and in turn pretty much the whole reason I pre-ordered the M8 in the first place.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #219 of 1,326
Quote:

Ok, we just tested the devices here and everything plays very clearly with a pitch black noisefloor. We've texted, called, and emailed to and from the phone that was playing music and did not hear any interference. So now, it may get down to the cell frequency. Please report your cell provider and I will try to figure out which frequencies your phone is running at. We are on AT&T around here and it's possible that it's less prone to interference than your phone carrier. The other thought is signal strength. How many bars of signal do you have when you hear interference?

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #220 of 1,326
Michael,

fwiw I'm not the original poster, nor have an iPhone 5 (yet) nor my iDevice M8 (yet)-

was your testing all with the iPhone in 3G or 4G (LTE) mode?
just wondering if the interference buzz is related to the age old "2G" or Edge frequencies used with older/slower provider networks/towers?

I may be possible to disable 4G in the iPhone 5, to revert to 3G frequencies,
but I don't think it's easy/possible to disable 3G also, so it might be hard to "force" the phone into 2G frequencies for testing purposes with the M8.

even my AT&T iPhone 4S running 6.1.3 appears to be missing the "disable 3G" option now to revert to Edge 2G (dog slow) speeds....

hope this clarifies more than confuses,

Quote:
Ok, we just tested the devices here and everything plays very clearly with a pitch black noisefloor. We've texted, called, and emailed to and from the phone that was playing music and did not hear any interference. So now, it may get down to the cell frequency. Please report your cell provider and I will try to figure out which frequencies your phone is running at. We are on AT&T around here and it's possible that it's less prone to interference than your phone carrier. The other thought is signal strength. How many bars of signal do you have when you hear interference?

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #221 of 1,326
For the first couple of weeks I was using a 4s (Verizon carrier) with bluetooth and wifi enabled, in addition to the 3G radio.  When a call came in and interrupted the music, I'd switch to the bluetooth headset for the duration of the call, then go back to the music via headphones/IEM's (1/4" and 1/8" jacks).  Not once did I experience any interference with those other signals into my music, so for me at least, the product is well-isolated if not shielded.  I just got an iPod classic and that pretty much remains attached to the M8 now, but only because I wanted the extra storage capacity.  Can't comment on the iPhone 5 issue.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #222 of 1,326
Quote:

I have at&t as well. I will do further testing tonight to see if I can isolate it down to whether it occurs on lte, 4g or if it's related to how strong the signal is. It's fine on my ipad3. So right now the only device I'm getting interference with is with my iphone 5.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #225 of 1,326
Quote:
I have at&t as well. I will do further testing tonight to see if I can isolate it down to whether it occurs on lte, 4g or if it's related to how strong the signal is. It's fine on my ipad3. So right now the only device I'm getting interference with is with my iphone 5.

Yes, thanks. We are investigating on our side as well. This is high priority, so we are ganging up on the issue. Sounds like some people have interference and others have no problems at all. This gives us some food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back