CEntrance BlueDAC - Anyone aware?
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #34 of 94
I have my first impressions posted on 10/7/17 in the CanJam impressions thread, around page 5. I have added more thoughts today.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...2017-impressions.862096/page-13#post-13773816

also written in reaction to this

http://www.androidauthority.com/no-headphone-jacks-bad-idea-opinion-805797/

For those who didn't visit my link above, here is a cross-post of my first impressions below - I haven't had time to listen a lot since RMAF, but have noticed that the background is dead silent with all of my custom Westone and JHAudio IEM, unless I go into high-gain AND also turn up the volume. That's pretty good. My first impressions were with full size headphones like Edition-X and Mr Speakers Ether C Flow and Aeon Closed, but now I have also added IEM to the testing, and I'm still blown away.

--- October 9, 2017 ---

So, I found and read this article today http://www.androidauthority.com/no-headphone-jacks-bad-idea-opinion-805797/ about more phones losing headphone jacks with little gains in return.

The timing couldn't be any better. I just bought the CEntrance BlueDAC at RMAF for myself and my son to combat this switch to bluetooth everything, with lack of headphone jacks becoming more prevalent in modern cell phones. See https://www.centrance.com/products/bluedac/ for more information.

This CEntrance BlueDAC will act as a bridge to connect almost any kind of headphone to my iPhone 7+ (and other cell phones in the future). The wired sound quality was indistinguishable with my wired DACportable (with DSD and 32/384 decoding via USB), and the wireless sound quality with it's upsampling is stunning and difficult to discern from wired playback. This despite the iPhone using AAC over bluetooth and not the AptX-HD codec.

It uses the AK4490 DAC, and a class-A headphone amplifier with digital volume control. It has a Li-Planet Ocean battery for wireless operation, with up to 20 hours of battery life. I neglected to find out if it draws power from the iPhone when used with a USB camera connection kit. It's made of a lightweight plastic case instead of their previous heavy CNC cases, so it's easier to carry. The outputs are a 3.5mm stereo jack and a 2.5mm balanced TRS jack.

The sound quality of the BlueDAC with our HiFiMan Edition-X was simply outstanding. The bass impact we experienced was totally unexpected and welcome, but the broad and open soundstage and transparency was even more welcome. It's got plenty of power to drive the Mr Speakers Ether Flow open headphones, which are a few dB less efficient. It can also drive the HiFiMan Sundara, which are a bit less efficient than our Edition-X. In low gain mode, it worked very well with my Westone ES60 custom IEM, with a very low noise floor.

The BlueDAC was one of the YOU MUST HAVE purchases to consider this year.

Other items that are on our highly recommended list are the HiFiMan HE-1000 mk2 and Edition-X and Sundara, Audioengine HD6 and also their B1 DAC and D2 DAC, PS Audio Perfectwave DSD DAC, Stax SR-009 with Headamp Blue Hawaii, Headamp GS-X and Gilmore Lite, Focal Utopia headphones, Mr Speakers Ether C Flow, Audeze LCD-3, Foster TH900 mk2, Sennheiser 820 balanced amp and HD-800S headphones, Westone W60 or W80 or ES60 IEM, and JH 16Pro V2 or Roxanne, Focal Sopra No.3 speakers, and PSB subseries 450 subwoofer. I also encouraged CEntrance to bring back the HiFi-M8 at a more affordable or attractive price.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #36 of 94
Just ordered one, can't wait to use AptX with my Pixel 2. Hoping this has a slightly lower noise floor than my DACportable for IEM use.

-Collin-

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #39 of 94
Hey Guys

A question about the battery life. Mine lives only 6 - 7 hours connected by USB with Fostex th-x00 headphones, I feel that it is much less than mini-m8 I also own. Plus you cannot charge it while listening :frowning2:
Is it normal or too low battery life?

Thanks.
Andrii.

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #40 of 94
I've never used mine longer than 8 hours with my Westone ES60 IEM, but it's never died before I charged it overnight when I was done. I just spoke to my son and he's used his BlueDAC up to 9 hours with his JH Audio JH16pro Freqphase, and he couldn't get it to die before he charged it over night.

We've never used it on battery with full-size headphones for any extended time, because then it's usually plugged into the MacBook USB. I guess with a set of harder to drive full-size headphones at higher volume settings the battery could drain faster, but I haven't tested that.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #41 of 94
I've never used mine longer than 8 hours with my Westone ES60 IEM, but it's never died before I charged it overnight when I was done. I just spoke to my son and he's used his BlueDAC up to 9 hours with his JH Audio JH16pro Freqphase, and he couldn't get it to die before he charged it over night.

We've never used it on battery with full-size headphones for any extended time, because then it's usually plugged into the MacBook USB. I guess with a set of harder to drive full-size headphones at higher volume settings the battery could drain faster, but I haven't tested that.

Thank you for the reply!

So does your BlueDac charges when connected to MacBook via USB?
I do not use the bluetouth at all, and only using it at the office, mine always connected to macbook pro 2017 (with usb to usb-c adapter) but not getting charged (also tried with macMini), in such mode it stays about 6 hours (not full working day :frowning2: ) and dies.
I have to use AC phone charger...

PS: sorry for my poor English :)

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #42 of 94
Thank you for the reply!

So does your BlueDac charges when connected to MacBook via USB?
I do not use the bluetouth at all, and only using it at the office, mine always connected to macbook pro 2017 (with usb to usb-c adapter) but not getting charged (also tried with macMini), in such mode it stays about 6 hours (not full working day :frowning2: ) and dies.
I have to use AC phone charger...

PS: sorry for my poor English :)

Mine charges via usb on my 2015 MacBook Pro, regardless of whether I’m listening to it though usb on the MacBook or listening via Bluetooth connection trough my iPhone while charging through the MacBook. See photos.

1513DF8A-266B-4175-91E9-5086E732C29C.jpeg D378C10B-58E2-4E42-AF7F-AAF765274446.jpeg

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #45 of 94
do u guys think it drives focal elear headphones and planars like lcd2 with authority

also i wonder how it compares to chord mojo

i recently bought astell and kern xb10, as a wireless solution and i was so amazed how good it sounds wirelessly

so I am staring to get interesting again in wireless solutions and this one ticks many needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back