CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #181 of 373
How was the bass of the Auteur? ...

I mentioned the bass in the Auteur didn't seem to dig as deep as the Edition-X or Focal Utopia played side-by-side, but also seemed to have a slight mid-bass or upper bass hump that would give them the illusion of punching harder - very nice midrange and treble but I didn't think the bass was good as it could have been.

Overall, after sitting at the Headamp table and comparing the ZMF Auteur to the Focal Utopia, LCD-4, and my Edition-X (via GS-X and Gilmore Lite), I think that the $1,800 combination of Gilmore Lite + Edition-X was the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK at that table and gave me 95% of the best performance.

I feel stupid for not trying the Sundara on the Gilmore Lite, but I was too excited about the Edition-X sounded out of it. Headamp was using a killer DAC, and I already forget the name, but Peter (Iron_Dreamer) likes it more than they're previous Ayre.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #182 of 373
Overall, after sitting at the Headamp table and comparing the ZMF Auteur to the Focal Utopia, LCD-4, and my Edition-X (via GS-X and Gilmore Lite),

Just want to note, that for those that listened to the Auteur at other booths but maybe didn't make it over to our table to get the full run down: the Auteur ships with two sets of pads.

The Auteur pads are quite flat in the bass with not much accentuation.

Eikon perforated pads are slightly warmer and punchier.

The particular Auteur that was at the Head-Amp table had the warmer perforated Eikon pads on it. It's been very 50/50 on what people have preferred, some have even changed their opinion of favorite pad based on the audio chain, so I decided to ship with both sets of pads.

Sorry for any confusion! Typically the Auteur's with the black grille's at CanJam had the warmer/punchier Eikon pads on them. For more info of course visit our website Auteur page:

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/the-auteur/

Thanks to everyone who listened to our stuff at CanJam, had a great weekend!!!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #183 of 373
Just want to note, that for those that listened to the Auteur at other booths but maybe didn't make it over to our table to get the full run down: the Auteur ships with two sets of pads.

The particular Auteur that was at the Head-Amp table had the warmer perforated Eikon pads on it. It's been very 50/50 on what people have preferred, some have even changed their opinion of favorite pad based on the audio chain, so I decided to ship with both sets of pads.

Sorry for any confusion! Typically the Auteur's with the black grille's at CanJam had the warmer/punchier Eikon pads on them. For more info of course visit our website Auteur page:

So it sounds like others also heard the same thing in the bass as I did - that's reassuring. Too bad I didn't know about or try the other pads.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #184 of 373

Mo Pads, Mo Problems!!! :smile:

Always great to have extra ZMF pads. You can most likely use the extra pad to replace (and improve) another headphone.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #186 of 373
Now home from Denver and a bit worn out, I really enjoyed the weekend. Thank you to everyone involved! I've had the pleasure of attending at RMAF repeatedly so in hindsight I surprised myself because this year I spent my time chatting with folks and fine tuning choices I've already made more than trying out all of the great new gear.

I really enjoyed hearing the Tryst and talking about transformers and circuits with Dan Wright of Modwright. Alex Sventitsky of WyWires offered me a cable solution that allows me to use my Ether C's the way I want, but my 2017 highlight was Dan Clark explaining his thinking as he developed and voiced the new electrostatic cans and his family of headphones. There are numerous videos of Dan, so it wasn't new information, but it's personal first hand.

I came home with the new, more open ear pads developed for the Ether E on my Ether C's that I would not have without the chance to compare them at the show. I am sold on Mr. Speakers headphones. I was excited to hear both the open and closed Aeon. Dan's fantastic new electrostatic cans are an experience, but as excellent as they are I came away happier with my Ether C's than ever. I a/b-ed my vanilla Ether C with the Ether C flow. May be I have dumbo sized ears that fit better in the more open pads or may be they really do sound more open and well balanced. I'm not sure. Either way, once I tried them I was sold. With the new ear pads installed and after hearing my Ether C's with several cables and amps I am confident that I have the set up that I want. Mission accomplished.

Sure, I spent time enjoying quite a bit of gear others such as DAPs from Astell & Kern and Fiio. I test rode all three of the Focals. I heard the Sonoma electrostatic system as well. I admire Moon Audio's Dragon Inspire, but I was really excited to dial in my Ether's in a way I could only do thanks to the show.

Thank you again!

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #187 of 373
I honestly wasn't that wow'd with the Sundara. I actually walked about thinking that I had expected a lot more from them. At 500ish I can think of others I would rather have. I listened to 4-5 songs fully, maybe I missed something.
Most of my favorite headphones didn't wow me at first listen. I really appreciate the 400i, looking forward to more impressions of Sundara.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #188 of 373
Was it the Holo Audio Kitsune Tuned Edition Spring DAC?

I simply can't remember - it went in one ear and out the other when he started stalking about R2R and Sigma-Delta and feedback loops...

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #190 of 373
99% sure it would've been. This is the DAC they've been using since switching from the Ayre.

Please tell me you still thought my last reply was funny?

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #191 of 373
Would like some opinion since you guys tried almost everything .

I’m currently using lcd x balanced with geek infinity xfi.

Looking at upgrading my headphone with a different flavour. If possible I’d keep my lcd x as it’s neutral. would like something warmer with more bass bloat .

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #194 of 373
Hmm, interesting. Both are great presentations, however based on your description, sounds like Mojo is a "professional, musical accuracy" presentation, and the BL is a "consumer experiencing the performance" presentation. A different type of detail. If you could only choose one? BTW, thx for the impression. Looking to eventually upgrade my Dragonfly Red to JDS Labs C5 combo
I'd say the iDSD BL for my purposes and gear. You can't go wrong either way though.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #195 of 373
So, I found and read this article today http://www.androidauthority.com/no-headphone-jacks-bad-idea-opinion-805797/ about more phones losing headphone jacks with little gains in return.

The timing couldn't be any better. I just bought the CEntrance BlueDAC at RMAF for myself and my son to combat this switch to bluetooth everything, with lack of headphone jacks becoming more prevalent in modern cell phones. See https://www.centrance.com/products/bluedac/ for more information.

This CEntrance BlueDAC will act as a bridge to connect almost any kind of headphone to my iPhone 7+ (and other cell phones in the future). The wired sound quality was indistinguishable with my wired DACportable (with DSD and 32/384 decoding via USB), and the wireless sound quality with it's upsampling is stunning and difficult to discern from wired playback. This despite the iPhone using AAC over bluetooth and not the AptX-HD codec.

It uses the AK4490 DAC, and a class-A headphone amplifier with digital volume control. It has a Li-Planet Ocean battery for wireless operation, with up to 20 hours of battery life. I neglected to find out if it draws power from the iPhone when used with a USB camera connection kit. It's made of a lightweight plastic case instead of their previous heavy CNC cases, so it's easier to carry. The outputs are a 3.5mm stereo jack and a 2.5mm balanced TRS jack.

The sound quality of the BlueDAC with our HiFiMan Edition-X was simply outstanding. The bass impact we experienced was totally unexpected and welcome, but the broad and open soundstage and transparency was even more welcome. It's got plenty of power to drive the Mr Speakers Ether Flow open headphones, which are a few dB less efficient. It can also drive the HiFiMan Sundara, which are a bit less efficient than our Edition-X. In low gain mode, it worked very well with my Westone ES60 custom IEM, with a very low noise floor.

The BlueDAC was one of the YOU MUST HAVE purchases to consider this year.

Other items that are on our highly recommended list are the HiFiMan HE-1000 mk2 and Edition-X and Sundara, Audioengine HD6 and also their B1 DAC and D2 DAC, PS Audio Perfectwave DSD DAC, Stax SR-009 with Headamp Blue Hawaii, Headamp GS-X and Gilmore Lite, Focal Utopia headphones, Mr Speakers Ether C Flow, Audeze LCD-3, Foster TH900 mk2, Sennheiser 820 balanced amp and HD-800S headphones, Westone W60 or W80 or ES60 IEM, and JH 16Pro V2 or Roxanne, Focal Sopra No.3 speakers, and PSB subseries 450 subwoofer. I also encouraged CEntrance to bring back the HiFi-M8 at a more affordable or attractive price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back