Early 2018 Florida Meet [Planning in Progress]
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #62 of 216
Yeah, I'd like to TRY to avoid that thought tbh. I'm currently looking at event locations but I definitely need an estimate on the size of floor space we would need. I have absolutely no idea what would be best (in sq. ft). The place I'm looking at can divide into a various different sized (1500 sqft to 12,000 sqft and everything in between).

I just basically want an idea on what size room I should be looking at.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #63 of 216
Yeah, I'd like to TRY to avoid that thought tbh. I'm currently looking at event locations but I definitely need an estimate on the size of floor space we would need. I have absolutely no idea what would be best (in sq. ft). The place I'm looking at can divide into a various different sized (1500 sqft to 12,000 sqft and everything in between).

I just basically want an idea on what size room I should be looking at.
1500sq foot is already big unless 30 people are showing up.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #64 of 216
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #65 of 216
Oh well I would say that a single room, especialy if the room is that size in the picture would be more than enough for all of us.
Its all about how it is configured, I went to meetings for years with 30 people in a 500sq foot room at best.

You see that I J H K banquet style can fit 30 people.
I think banquet style is what we are looking for with power cords and computers/transport at each "banquet" table.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #68 of 216
I've put in a proposal request but haven't gotten a response, will hopefully get one soon. I also may just call the number too.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #69 of 216
Ok, that place is way too expensive, they weren't even selling the small 400 sqft rooms I guess. I'm looking at libraries now (which I should have just done in the first place...).

What specific time frame should we have for the meet, since I have to reserve by 15 minute intervals. I was thinking like 3 - 5 hours depending on how many people come? Also the hourly rates are literally half for someone with a library card so maybe one of the guys in Orlando could get a card for the place, it cuts the rate from $20/hr to $10/hr so it would be a big difference.

Which btw if you're interested and have not filled out the google poll, PLEASE DO SO. I'm thinking I might also start some sort of group chat off of head-fi so I have a much easier way to contact you all if need be. What app would you prefer me to use for a group chat?

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #70 of 216
Did you call the number?
Does a library have private rooms to rent with power / internet for us?

Also if we had some kind of group chat I would want it to be telegram.
That is what I use for my business and personal chats.
Its like whatsapp but better.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #71 of 216
I called the number for the Park Inn place, they're for more corporate meetings so it would have costed like $450 to rent a room. So nevermind about that place...

As for the library spaces you can reserve them for a certain amount of time. It's much more realistic in terms of pricing. There's also a bunch of rooms to choose from in varying locations so it should be easy to find something that works.
Here's the link to the website: https://www.ocls.info/rooms-studios/capacity/9

And finally for the messaging app, I looked at telegram but I would prefer something that's more just like a chat room where people can just join without having to be added manually. I was thinking like Groupme or Slack because you can also use them on a computer too.

Edit: Just looked at each of them, Slack is way better suited for planning events so I'm just gonna go ahead and use that. Sorry if you don't want to create an account for it.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #72 of 216
Ok got it set up. I wish I had a way to put out an announcement to everyone though, I guess that's why I'm making this group chat...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #73 of 216
I called the number for the Park Inn place, they're for more corporate meetings so it would have costed like $450 to rent a room. So nevermind about that place...

As for the library spaces you can reserve them for a certain amount of time. It's much more realistic in terms of pricing. There's also a bunch of rooms to choose from in varying locations so it should be easy to find something that works.
Here's the link to the website: https://www.ocls.info/rooms-studios/capacity/9

And finally for the messaging app, I looked at telegram but I would prefer something that's more just like a chat room where people can just join without having to be added manually. I was thinking like Groupme or Slack because you can also use them on a computer too.

Edit: Just looked at each of them, Slack is way better suited for planning events so I'm just gonna go ahead and use that. Sorry if you don't want to create an account for it.
That isn't really a chat, its more like a useless message-board which means we might as well just keep posting here in HeadFi.

As far as the library I am fine with that as long as someone has a library card and can get us a better rate for a room.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #74 of 216
That isn't really a chat, its more like a useless message-board which means we might as well just keep posting here in HeadFi.

As far as the library I am fine with that as long as someone has a library card and can get us a better rate for a room.
I guess but the issue with head-fi is that some people don't have notifications enabled or they don't subscribe to the thread. Slack is more like chat messaging (looking at it it's basically exactly like Discord if you've used that) and you can use it with an app on your phone.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #75 of 216
I guess but the issue with head-fi is that some people don't have notifications enabled or they don't subscribe to the thread. Slack is more like chat messaging (looking at it it's basically exactly like Discord if you've used that) and you can use it with an app on your phone.
Yes I've used discord.
But with Slack people have to signup (doubtful), they have to subscribe (doubtful), they have to enable notifications (doubtful, since they can click one button in this thread to have notifications/subscriptions turned on), they have to download an app on their phone after all of this (highly unlikely).

Additionally nobody really uses Slack for anything else, which is why Whatsapp/Telegram would be better for those genuinely interested in being part of a chat.
Everyone else won't read this thread if they aren't very interested and using slack just adds additional complication to effectively give everyone the same features as here.

I for one am not going to join the slack group and add another app to my phone to check just for this thread. I'll use headFi instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back