Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
May 13, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #151 of 977
A junior model of the Silver Fox appeared. I suppose it will be a more accessible version, but with identical functionality.
9i-806 “Little Silver Fox" headphone Amp - https://en.cen-grand.com/product/55.html

I've been meaning to post about that but you beat me to it.

The smaller version supposedly has the same output specs which means it is very impressive, able to drive anything. In order to trim the cost we get a more basic potentiometer instead of the resistor ladder solution in the big model. There's also a smaller power transformer in the PSU, and some less expensive components throughout the device, which I take to mean downgraded capacitors and such.

In exchange we take around $1.5k USD off the price. Seems like a really good value and probably very tough competition for something like a Violectric V550 among many others in the ~$3k range.

I actually like that they switched the 3-pin XLR sockets to accept 1/4" headphones as well, rather than adding the extra dedicated 1/4" jack like the original Silver Fox. That little tweak alone probably saves some cost without impacting the sound one bit.

May 13, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #152 of 977
3 pin XLR x 2 replaced with combined connectors 3pin XLR x 2 / 6.36 single x2. It might even be more convenient.

May 13, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #153 of 977
Between your Niimbus and InPol you are probably pretty good. I think from the stand point of SS amps, there are a few better than the rest. You have one of them...

Niimbus
CFA3
Silver Fox
Holo Bliss
Zahl HM-1

I think these are the top 5 SS amps on the market in no particular order. Just one opinion, though. You have 1 of them so I would have a hard time saying you need another. Unless you are done with your Niimbus and ready for something new. Then, the Silver Fox would be a great addition I would imagine.
Not sure why the Volot is missing from that list...

May 14, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #155 of 977
I've been meaning to post about that but you beat me to it.

The smaller version supposedly has the same output specs which means it is very impressive, able to drive anything. In order to trim the cost we get a more basic potentiometer instead of the resistor ladder solution in the big model. There's also a smaller power transformer in the PSU, and some less expensive components throughout the device, which I take to mean downgraded capacitors and such.

In exchange we take around $1.5k USD off the price. Seems like a really good value and probably very tough competition for something like a Violectric V550 among many others in the ~$3k range.

I actually like that they switched the 3-pin XLR sockets to accept 1/4" headphones as well, rather than adding the extra dedicated 1/4" jack like the original Silver Fox. That little tweak alone probably saves some cost without impacting the sound one bit.
To me the most important factor will be how close they get the smaller version to sound like the bigger one while driving tough loads like the Susvara or the 1266 TC, when the rubber hits the road. I would jump on the smaller fox in a heartbeat if they're able to convince me that the differences in sonic performance are negligible in spite of the smaller transformer and less expensive parts they have on the smaller fox. And yet, if I have learnt anything from this hobby, it has got to be that no-one gets a free lunch, and that manufacturers rarely offer (if ever) a cheaper alternative without exacting some kind of price on the front of Sonic performance. So while I am rooting for the smaller fox to shine as much as the bigger one in sonic performance, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the bigger one comes with certain superior sonic refinements and enhancements which might eventually tilt my inclination toward buying it over the smaller one regardless of how attractive the price delta is. Of course, I hope I am wrong and can get the smaller one without having any cause to look over my shoulder... We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #156 of 977
To me the most important factor will be how close they get the smaller version to sound like the bigger one while driving tough loads like the Susvara or the 1266 TC, when the rubber hits the road. I would jump on the smaller fox in heartbeat if they're able to convince me that the differences in sonic performance are negligible in spite of smaller transformer and less expensive parts they have on the smaller fox. And yet, if I have learnt anything from this hobby, it has got to be that no-one gets a free lunch, and that manufacturers rarely offer (if ever) a cheaper alternative without exacting some kind of price on the front of Sonic performance. So while I am rooting for the smaller fox to shine as much as the bigger one in sonic performance, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the bigger one comes with certain superior sonic refinements and enhancements which might eventually tilt my inclination toward buying it over the smaller one regardless of how attractive the price delta is. Of course, I hope I am wrong and can get the smaller one without having any cause to look over my shoulder... We'll have to wait and see.
I have a hunch that the 9i-806 "Little Silver Fox" may differ from the 9i-906 in a warmer signature. At last year's show, I had the opportunity to listen to the 9i-92SA III and 9i-90SA Pro and they were both clearly warmer in sound. Very it seems that the philosophy of this company is that the higher the product, the more neutral sounding. The answer to this and other questions we will get only by head-on comparison of 9i-806 and 9i-906.

May 14, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #157 of 977
I actually like that they switched the 3-pin XLR sockets to accept 1/4" headphones as well

These combo sockets work like a charm and we've never had any issues with them. And they save space indeed :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 14, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #158 of 977
I have a hunch that the 9i-806 "Little Silver Fox" may differ from the 9i-906 in a warmer signature. At last year's show, I had the opportunity to listen to the 9i-92SA III and 9i-90SA Pro and they were both clearly warmer in sound. Very it seems that the philosophy of this company is that the higher the product, the more neutral sounding. The answer to this and other questions we will get only by head-on comparison of 9i-806 and 9i-906.

Thanks for those impressions, which at this point are quite rare for most Cen.Grand products aside from the original Silver Fox and the DSDAC.

The improved clarity and neutrality as you move higher up the chain is something I encounter from other brands as well. I'd say Violectric does it to some degree with their higher/newer models, and of course their more expensive Niimbus sibling as well. Bricasti Design also seems similar in my limited experience, with the M3 being more warm and fun compared to the more expensive M1 DAC which feels dead neutral.

It's interesting in that not everyone always appreciates the extra neutrality, with some actually preferring the more laid back warmer signature. But I don't think that will apply with the Silver Fox since it is already quite muscular sounding and in no way analytical.

May 15, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #159 of 977
It's interesting in that not everyone always appreciates the extra neutrality, with some actually preferring the more laid back warmer signature

Agreed, but I will say that it all depends on the outcome after combining several products. A highly transparent analytical amp with warm fuzzy cans would probably make a balanced team in the end :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 18, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #160 of 977
What a beauty. We need some impressions of this bad boy stat! I have the middle tier DAC arriving Monday.
Hello,
Just wonder did you had a chance listened to the Silver Fox and how does it compare to the Meier Corda Soul (which I understand you're v familiar with)? The output modes of the Silver Fox looks interesting and promising! I know the Soul is an AIO while this Silver Fox is an amp only but interested to see how these 2 compare / contrast ..
TIA

May 20, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #161 of 977
Just got word that the Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Little Silver Fox" headphone amplifier will be available starting next week. Selling for $2400 which is lower than I anticipated - even if there is a clear step down from the original model, it's still likely to be a great value at that price.

May 20, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #162 of 977
Hello,
Just wonder did you had a chance listened to the Silver Fox and how does it compare to the Meier Corda Soul (which I understand you're v familiar with)? The output modes of the Silver Fox looks interesting and promising! I know the Soul is an AIO while this Silver Fox is an amp only but interested to see how these 2 compare / contrast ..
TIA
I think I can offer some contrast between the two. The Corda Soul is probably the best AIO I've tried. I've heard the Bartok and wasn't that impressed by it. It was very smooth sounding with soft or rounded leading edges. I like a faster sound with great dynamics and instrumental spacing. This is what I hear from the Corda Soul. There is very little that it does wrong and it compares favorably to sound of my Silver Fox feed by my Chord Dave. With that said, there are some things that good separates do better.

The Silver Fox is a beast of a amp. It has crazy driving ability, incredible tonality, but doesn't lack detail, clarity, or resolution. If you are just comparing the amp sections, then it's no contest. The Silver Fox wins all day. If you take the Corda Soul as a whole, then its performance is a lot closer to that of my separates. What you are giving up by going with the Corda Soul are some performance specs and some technical aspects of sound quality. The Corda Soul sounds the part, performs at TOTL levels, and drives all my headphones with ease.

What puts the Silver Fox/Dave ahead is their ability to offer more insight into the music. The soundstage is bigger with better front to back and side to side depth. The sound is more involved. You get a clearer sense of where the artist are with their instruments. When you hear the instruments being played the sound is a little bit sharper, with better imaging while being more resolute. The bass goes deeper, with a more nuanced midrange, and airier treble. The overall sound is more textured, full bodied and the notes have more weight out of the Silver Fox. The differences can be heard between the Corda Soul and Silver Fox feed by the Dave, but the gap in performance is not as big as I was expecting it to be. This just goes to show you how well engineered the Corda Soul is as a AIO. Make no mistake about it, there are better performing products out here as I own some. With that said, you will have to pay for the percentage points of increased performance.

May 20, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #163 of 977
Just got word that the Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Little Silver Fox" headphone amplifier will be available starting next week. Selling for $2400 which is lower than I anticipated - even if there is a clear step down from the original model, it's still likely to be a great value at that price.
This is a great deal and it puts the "Little Silver Fox" right in the midst of the competition. It should absolutely be considered by those looking for quality amplification.

May 20, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #164 of 977
Hello,
TIA
Hi, I don’t own the Silver Fox. I own the Cen.Grand Super Clock DAC. I do own a CFA3 which is in the same tier as the Silver Fox and has even more power and is a dual mono current feedback design with an extremely wide bandwidth.

The Corda Soul is an absolute wonder. It is made with as few compromises as I’ve found in a AIO unit. It doesn’t beat the CFA3 as an amp or my Super Clock as a DAC, but the sum of its parts keeps it in the conversation and is giving away very little in sound. My reference rig has great saturation in the notes coupled with more air and top end resolution. It is close, but I can hear the difference. The Soul is very neutral. But never gives up being musical and is etch and grain free.

I have the new Matrix X2 Pure in house currently for review: their latest flagship without an amp. Just DAC and streamer. The Corda Soul compares favorably and without burning in the X2P is the better sounding device. Greater saturation without giving up clarity. For me, this is what leads to top tier pacing and holds the pocket of the music together in an organic way.

My CFA with Cen.Grand DAC is the best my system has ever sounded. The Corda Soul has a seat at the table and for its use case has very few peers.

The Silver Fox sits in a tier of SS amps that I believe is a short list. Along with Niimbus, CFA3, Holo Bliss and the Zahl HM-1 these 5 amps represent in my opinion the top of the SS amp food chain.

AIOs are a different beast as they almost always compromise something to fit it all in one box. The genius of the Corda Soul lies in how few compromises Jan made when designing it.

May 20, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #165 of 977
Hi, I don’t own the Silver Fox. I own the Cen.Grand Super Clock DAC. I do own a CFA3 which is in the same tier as the Silver Fox and has even more power and is a dual mono current feedback design with an extremely wide bandwidth.

The Corda Soul is an absolute wonder. It is made with as few compromises as I’ve found in a AIO unit. It doesn’t beat the CFA3 as an amp or my Super Clock as a DAC, but the sum of its parts keeps it in the conversation and is giving away very little in sound. My reference rig has great saturation in the notes coupled with more air and top end resolution. It is close, but I can hear the difference. The Soul is very neutral. But never gives up being musical and is etch and grain free.

I have the new Matrix X2 Pure in house currently for review: their latest flagship without an amp. Just DAC and streamer. The Corda Soul compares favorably and without burning in the X2P is the better sounding device. Greater saturation without giving up clarity. For me, this is what leads to top tier pacing and holds the pocket of the music together in an organic way.

My CFA with Cen.Grand DAC is the best my system has ever sounded. The Corda Soul has a seat at the table and for its use case has very few peers.

The Silver Fox sits in a tier of SS amps that I believe is a short list. Along with Niimbus, CFA3, Holo Bliss and the Zahl HM-1 these 5 amps represent in my opinion the top of the SS amp food chain.

AIOs are a different beast as they almost always compromise something to fit it all in one box. The genius of the Corda Soul lies in how few compromises Jan made when designing it.

geoffalter11

Thanks for the reply.
Indeed there is a 99% chance that I'd order the Corda Soul AIO soon !! I don't have the kind of TOTL gears that you have. My collection of DACs/AMPs are the RND RNHP amp, the RME ADI-2 Pro FS, the SPL Phonitor 2 and the iFi Zen Stream. Sometimes I just use my A&K SE200 as a stream transport as I have lots of music on the DAP. The 4 cans that I have are the : Senn HD800 default, Sony MDR-Z1R, ATH-ADX5000 and the Yamaha YH-5000SE. I sometimes listen with IEMs too. Three of my fav that I have are : Sony IER-Z1R, EarSonics SEM9, and the 64A u18t. I'm planning to use both the ATH and the Yamaha HPs to listen to the Soul AIO and for me this setup will pretty much my "reference audio state of affairs" to prevail for a long time ..

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back