Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
May 8, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #138 of 977
I don’t see not having a preamp on a headphone amp being a deal breaker at all. I’d much rather have a preamp on my DAC or have a dedicated preamp for controlling another amp or speakers. Why have a headphone amp act as a middle ground when you can control a secondary amp or speaker’s directly? This way you keep the signal path unabated and as short as possible, but that’s just me…

May 10, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #139 of 977
I suspect that is due to the DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe already having dedicated preamp capabilities, including two sets of analog inputs. So when pairing it with this amp (as the designer no doubt hopes one will do), it isn't duplicating any features.
I’m looking for SS amp as opposite to my cayin ha300 mk2. Headphones is dca expanse.
Niimbus us5 pro was my choice before i found out silver fox.
So your review could be very helpful for me

May 10, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #140 of 977
I’m looking for SS amp as opposite to my cayin ha300 mk2. Headphones is dca expanse.
Niimbus us5 pro was my choice before i found out silver fox.
So your review could be very helpful for me
The Silver Fox has a very musical tone and very good weight to the notes without the loss of any details or clarity. It also has very good driving power for tough loads. I think it would be a great match for the DCA Expanse.

May 10, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #142 of 977
Thanks! Probably yes but I don’t want get similar tonal balance and sound signature to ha300 mk2
Are you looking for something more neutral sounding?

May 13, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #145 of 977
A junior model of the Silver Fox appeared. I suppose it will be a more accessible version, but with identical functionality.
9i-806 “Little Silver Fox" headphone Amp - https://en.cen-grand.com/product/55.html

May 13, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #146 of 977
The main advantage of the Silver Fox (906/806), in my opinion, is the headphone output modes. Amplifiers Burson, Violectric, Niimbus, Holo Bliss, Ferrum ORR do not have such functionality. They only have BTL mode and normal.
This functionality should allow (in theory) to adjust the sound of the headphones to the preferences of a particular listener.
1683976909538.png

May 13, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #147 of 977
Posted the manual to the amplifier. For those who want to learn a little more about the operation of the amplifier.
@cengrand I would be grateful if you publish information about the power of the headphone amplifier 23 ohms, 50 ohms, 100 ohms, 150 ohms, 300 ohms, 600 ohms. It will also be useful to know the output impedance for each of the headphone outputs. What is the maximum voltage that can be applied to the inputs of the RCA and XLR?
This information is not in the manual.
Thanks for the answer.

Attachments

• 9i-906 Product instructions.pdf
    874.3 KB · Views: 0
May 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #148 of 977
The main advantage of the Silver Fox (906/806), in my opinion, is the headphone output modes. Amplifiers Burson, Violectric, Niimbus, Holo Bliss, Ferrum ORR do not have such functionality. They only have BTL mode and normal.
This functionality should allow (in theory) to adjust the sound of the headphones to the preferences of a particular listener.
1683976909538.png
BTL mode boosts the gain. It's the loudest setting and the least used by me as the majority of my headphones don't require such power. I normally use the Normal setting. I use Parallel for when I want extra current delivered to my planars. Active G is indeed great for vocal performances, but the hardest to hear as the changes are very subtle.

May 13, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #149 of 977
BTL mode boosts the gain. It's the loudest setting and the least used by me as the majority of my headphones don't require such power. I normally use the Normal setting. I use Parallel for when I want extra current delivered to my planars. Active G is indeed great for vocal performances, but the hardest to hear as the changes are very subtle.
How much does the size of the stage and the separation of instruments change when moving from BTL to Parallel? Theoretically, Parallel should sound more intimate, due to the common grounding of the right and left channels. Does it sound like this in practice?
One more question, what preamplification in decibels is set in the device when connecting the incoming signal via RCA and XLR (perhaps it has its own individual value for each input)? As far as I understand, it is a constant and the user does not have the ability to change it (except for changing the settings for BTL, Normal, etc.)?

May 13, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #150 of 977
How much does the size of the stage and the separation of instruments change when moving from BTL to Parallel? Theoretically, Parallel should sound more intimate, due to the common grounding of the right and left channels. Does it sound like this in practice?
One more question, what preamplification in decibels is set in the device when connecting the incoming signal via RCA and XLR (perhaps it has its own individual value for each input)? As far as I understand, it is a constant and the user does not have the ability to change it (except for changing the settings for BTL, Normal, etc.)?
The soundstage doesn't necessarily shrink, I'm just detecting a perceivable change in loudness levels. With the change in gain/loudness it does seem like the sound is more expansive. Parallel mode is quieter because of the lower gain, but give the Silver Fox some volume and things sound the same.

I have my Dave set at -5dB in preamp mode were the input volume is variable. Sometime I go as low as -10dB when I listen to the Trafomatic Head 2 with its high gain levels. If I where to put the Dave in DAC mode, it outputs -3dB fixed volume. That's a little to high for the Silver Fox, but if you want more loudness of the amp it's a good way to do it. The trade off is you won't get much movement out of the volume dial before things get unbearably loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back