Celebrity Audiophiles?
Jun 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #31 of 56
Elvis was was waaaaaaaaaay more of an impact on music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elvis was was waaaaaaaaaay more of an impact on music.

Not talking about impact; talent was the issue and entertainer was the key word.

On that note, so as not to get this closed, I will bow out.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 56
Actually I think Michael had a greater impact on music, more talented and the best performer/entertainer for the longest while (better than elvis). Just listen to some music when MJ was at his peak and then listen to the music that was current in those days and you'll see the extraordinary distinction in Michael's music. Yes he had his issues but one can't deny the impact this man had particularly to the pop music industry.

Oh and the only celebrity audiophile I know of is myself hahaha!

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 56
Elvis regurgitated the music of black musicians into a form white parents found acceptable, except for the pelvis gyro-action part.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael Jackson was more talented than Elvis, and I am not taking it back
evil_smiley.gif

I have to agree. Talent gets you nowhere, and is really only evident at a young age. When elvis started IMO he was pretty crap. Michael Jackson was great at a very young age, which I believe is the true indication of talent.
As far as Elvis goes, I will go so far as to say he was very skilled and had excellent musicianship. I am sure there was talent at play, but it wasnt as key a factor as the previous with regards to Michael, whom had obvious shortcomings as a child but was singing way way way way beyond his years.
Both of them got the limelight because of a. luck and b. skill later in life.

also @ KBI since when did only the US matter? [size=xx-small]oh wait...[/size]

popcorn.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #40 of 56
Oh yeah, stolen off Audiogon:

Quote:

Fabio's whole house system:

MAIN SYSTEM
AmPro HD4600 video projector
Stewart custom 12-foot ElectriMask perforated screen
Faroudja VP 400 line quadrupler
Runco LJR 11 laserdisc player
Pioneer Elite LD-52 laserdisc player
Lexicon CP-3 surround processor
Krell KIS Reference A power amps (4)
Krell MDA-600S power arnps (2)
Krell KSA-100S power amps (2)
Krell KSA-300S power amps (2)
Krell KPS 20t CD player
Krell DT-10 CD player
Krell KRC-HR preamp
Krell Reference 64 digital processor/power supply
Martin Logan Statement speaker system (front left & right) w/custom Krell KBX crossovers (2)
Martin Logan Logos speaker (center)
Martin Logan Sequel II speakers (sides) (2)
Infinity IRS V speaker system (surrounds) w/custom Krell KBX crossovers (2)
Velodyne ULD18 powered subwoofers (2)
Grado HP 1000 headphones
Stax SR Lambda Pro headphones (2 pair)
Transparent Audio MusicLink Reference interconnects, MusicWave Reference speaker cables
Transparent PowerLink power cords and power-conditioning equipment
Transparent Audio video cables

DINING ROOM
Pioneer Elite PRO91 rear-projection TV
Martin Logan Quest speakers (2)
Krell KSA-200 power amp

KITCHEN
Mitsubishi CS-35803 direct-view TV
Panasonic AG-WI multi-format VCR

BEDROOM
Pioneer Elite PRO107 rear-projection TV
Sony KP-61XBR28 rear-projection TV
Pioneer Elite CLD-97 LD player
RCA DSS satellite system
Mitsubishi U80 S-VHS VCR
Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS VCR
Krell CD-DSP CD player
Krell KRC preamp
Wadia 15 Digital Decoding Computer
Harman/Kardon AVP1 surround processor
Martin Logan Monolith III speakers (front right & left) (2)
Martin Logan Quest speakers (surround) (2)
Martin Logan Logos speaker (center)
Krell KMA-200 power amps
(2) Krell KAS-200 power amps (2)
Denon POA-6600 power amp

Back in the mid 90's

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #41 of 56
Anyway talknig about Jacko vs. Elvis, both were pioneers in American popular music but for different reasons.

Jacko = breaking down the racial barrier in pop music + popularisation of choreography.
Jacko's early music videos (e.g. Thriller, Billie Jean) can't be matched for depth and story even to this day.
Elvis = the fusion of African-American music elements into mainstream America.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #43 of 56
Shameless bump is shameless, but John Frusciante (See: Red Hot Chili Peppers, 10 solo albums) is an audiophile. Judging by the contents of his house, he's definitely an audiophile.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #44 of 56
what does he have?

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elvis regurgitated the music of black musicians into a form white parents found acceptable, except for the pelvis gyro-action part.

I used to think the same thing too until I went to Graceland. I have never been an Elvis fan and I went to Graceland kicking and screaming because my friends wanted to go there. The house was as kitch as I thought it would be and I quickly got a headache. I left the tour and just went off exploring on my own. There is another house on the property that is more like a museum explaining Elvis's roots and his indebtedness to the blues. I found this part very interesting. Over loudspeakers I could hear the original blues version of "Jailhouse Rock" and then I heard Elvis's version. I have never heard the blues version before and I was quite taken by it, but then again, when I heard Elvis's contrasting version of "Jailhouse Rock" I was completely blown away by it. Elvis took the blues version and doused it with acid (one could argue that Led Zepplin did the same thing a decade later). It was shocking to hear side by side and I could immediately see why, in the context of the times, he was considered a threat to common culture. I really liked the museum part of Graceland because it wasn't trying to hide any of Elvis's influences and I was able to study the blues and Elvis's early music together. It was an education for me. I still don't listen to Elvis but I will never say a disparaging word about his artistic talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back