CD's dying?
Aug 28, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats why I only buy Taiyo Yuden now.

Interesting, I had read that TY were among the best, too, then decided to look at user reviews on newegg.....and found that some folks think TY's protective coating is flimsy and peels off easily.

Any Ritek/RiData fans out there?

I normally only use what are $5.99 after rebate, whatever brand is available, at Office Depot.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 38
My oldest CD from 1981 works fine, but I had a Vivaldi CD (Hogwood) literally fade away until you could see right through it. It became unplayable.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called "CD rot" and it doesn't affect the first gen Japan & WG CDs (and many early USA CDs such as WEA and DADC pressings) which were made to much higher standards than today's discs. The problem starts with second-generation CDs pressed in plants with second-generation machines that were cost-reduced, materials cost reduced, etc.

Makes sense. My oldest CDs are my Japanese and W. German Target discs (mid 80s/mid-late 80s pressings I believe) and all of them still read and play fine.

I haven't found a DVD-R brand so far that meets my expectations. Taiyo Yudens I've used have had their coating peel off in 3 years. Ritek G04s have developed CRC errors in less than two years. I haven't tried Verbatim DVD-Rs, but their AZO-Blue CD-Rs are the best I've used (in about 200+ discs, some as old as 8 years, all have held up fine).

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard on the radio today that some of the oldest CD's, 25+ years old, the ones they said would last forever, are dying.

I'd type more but I don't want to miss the bus
rolleyes.gif

well its only to be expected when they use biodegradable materials
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, I had read that TY were among the best, too, then decided to look at user reviews on newegg.....and found that some folks think TY's protective coating is flimsy and peels off easily.

Any Ritek/RiData fans out there?

I normally only use what are $5.99 after rebate, whatever brand is available, at Office Depot.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178622 (how to find TY's)
http://www.cdr-zone.com/reviews/dvd_...-r_page_1.html
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Newegg reviews aren't always the best, there is some knowledgeable people, but far more don't know much.

It's easier to find TY DVD's than CD's now though. Since I believe they quit making CD's to focus on DVD's. And that caused TY CD prices to jump, as well as the number of fake TY's on the market.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 38
heh, well I haven't had a cd rot on me yet.. but then again i'm pretty obsessive about keeping them in their cases, and out of sunlight or humidity. With the oldest cd's now reaching 25 years, that's not a bad lifespan really. (I think my oldest is 22 years old) I'm curious how all my old cassettes have held up.. just dug out Substance last week.. must try it soon.. I'm wondering if magnetic media will last as long

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 38
I sitll have my old Decca "breakable" records of "The Magic Flute" from what, 80 years ago? A bit noisy, but plays fine.
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes sense. My oldest CDs are my Japanese and W. German Target discs (mid 80s/mid-late 80s pressings I believe) and all of them still read and play fine.

I haven't found a DVD-R brand so far that meets my expectations. Taiyo Yudens I've used have had their coating peel off in 3 years. Ritek G04s have developed CRC errors in less than two years. I haven't tried Verbatim DVD-Rs, but their AZO-Blue CD-Rs are the best I've used (in about 200+ discs, some as old as 8 years, all have held up fine).

Try Sony DvD+RWs. They have lasted my 5.5 years so far. Great DVDs. Although they were the older 2/4x type.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg reviews aren't always the best, there is some knowledgeable people, but far more don't know much.

Yup........I discount reviews from people who say that 1/3 of their discs are coasters, as I have to believe that's a hardware problem. The peeling/flimsy part is what bothered me--I don't think newegg would be selling counterfeits, but then again, who knows if the reviewers are writing about legit TY's actually purchased from newegg?

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Verbatim DVD+Rs (not -R) are some of the best.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 38
I'm amazed at the replies! I feel that I'm the only one that has seen this problem. Fortunately, the damage has not destroyed too many CD's.

I can hold the disc up to a light and see pinholes of light shine through. I spent more than a few years of keeping CD's in my car or truck in Florida, so I have to wonder if the extreme heat helped break down the surface. Some still play, others won't.

I'm glad I have them all backed up on a hard drive, but still hate to see the damage that was done.

I'm only considering redbook CD's as having problems. Any read/write copy that I made isn't an issue to me. I can alway burn another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back