CD's dying?
Aug 29, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

I can hold the disc up to a light and see pinholes of light shine through.

A number of CDs I bought, especially in the late 80's, had pinholes at the time that I bought them. They still play fine.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, well I haven't had a cd rot on me yet.. but then again i'm pretty obsessive about keeping them in their cases, and out of sunlight or humidity. With the oldest cd's now reaching 25 years, that's not a bad lifespan really. (I think my oldest is 22 years old) I'm curious how all my old cassettes have held up.. just dug out Substance last week.. must try it soon.. I'm wondering if magnetic media will last as long

I remember reading somewhere that magnetic media will last a hundred years or longer, but have yet to test that claim.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading somewhere that magnetic media will last a hundred years or longer, but have yet to test that claim.
biggrin.gif

I know cassette tapes use magnetics, and I've got some that are maybe 15 years old and sound like crap...

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting that all the new or well cared-for vinyl I've gotten has played like the day it was made, even stuff like 50 years old.

I've been converting tapes and LPs for my dad into digital, and I've noticed the LPs are vastly better SQ than tapes, even though they are 15-20 years older.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #38 of 38
i have never had a CD die on me and some of them are easily 10-15 years old, maybe older. i have always taken very good care of them. maybe that has helped or maybe i have just been lucky or am way overdue for some CD failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back