CD's dying?
Aug 28, 2007 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Gautama

1000+ Head-Fier
I heard on the radio today that some of the oldest CD's, 25+ years old, the ones they said would last forever, are dying.

I'd type more but I don't want to miss the bus
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 38
Presumably meaning they don't play any more. Some of the early CDs (and produced later) had problems with the materials used in manufacture which meant that corrosive chemicals 'bled' through destroying the surface of the disc. Having said that my first CD (The Doors) still plays (and looks) as good as brand new...

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 38
It's called "CD rot" and it doesn't affect the first gen Japan & WG CDs (and many early USA CDs such as WEA and DADC pressings) which were made to much higher standards than today's discs. The problem starts with second-generation CDs pressed in plants with second-generation machines that were cost-reduced, materials cost reduced, etc.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, no issues of "disc rot" on my end. Yet.

ditto and some of mine are 20+ years old.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 38
I always make 3 copies or more on CD for critical data or stuff I really want to save like pictures and what not. CD's are still more reliable than DVD's I believe because of the superior error correction. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had two. I'm more worried about CDRs and DVD-/+Rs.

Yeah, the ones you burn yourself have something like a 10 year lifespan before the dyes within start to decay (although you can always just burn another copy).

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 38
I've had zero redbooks, but two SACD's - "Ziggy Stardust" and "The Colour of Spring" begin the rot.

I spent forty bones on that last one. That'll tick you off, so I mailed EMI, who sent me a new one. So far, there's been no problems...so far.

With the money I have invested in High Rez, it makes me worry about my hybrids.

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 38
My copy of OTT: Blumenkraft won't play properly without skipping on anything I have, and I bought it brand new maybe a year ago and it's completely scratchless. The only way I can listen to it is to listen to the EAC rip, which suits me, but kind of irritates me at the same time. Maybe I should burn a copy and put it in the case
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the ones you burn yourself have something like a 10 year lifespan before the dyes within start to decay (although you can always just burn another copy).

Some MUCH less than that, you need good discs to backup data.

I've had verbatim and maxell, tdk, etc discs all crap out in 2 years and less.

When it comes to saving data on CD for protection, you need good CD's. Usually the ones marketed as archive grade are the crappy ones rebranded.

Thats why I only buy Taiyo Yuden now.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 38
I put my Discs in the freezer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back