CD Prices too high? Steal it! - i didnt say that
May 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 165
Steal the CD's if you can't afford them. That is bad!

May 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 165
Pay for your torrent access and it's not stealing
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, neither do the artists...

At least they saw the money for the original purchase, though.

I buy new and used. New for CDs, used for old vinyls. I find both to be particularly rewarding, and I like having a physical collection, too. I would never steal an album. Trent is held up on some ridiculous pedestal because he's not in the "norm", but I think now he's acting more on reputation than anything else.

May 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikermalli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pay for your torrent access and it's not stealing
smily_headphones1.gif

...That comment just fails on so many levels, I can't even imagine where to start criticizing it.

May 14, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 165
I am only going to say two things.
The first advice is go to concerts and gigs and support bands this way.

Secondly and most importantly.
YARR' YARR' where is me parrot and me ship...

Yes one can argue that stealing is wrong but then again I am going to bring up the age old argument that its not stealing its still copying and sharing and generally a good idea. Imagine if I buy my cd and share it with my friend and in return I get one of his cd-s to listen to...well we have split our expenses so to say. Now igagine 2million people buying cd-s and then swapping them but in a mechanised manner so you can do it quickly and efficently. Yes I belive it is wrong to steal music from the artist or studio before its release etc but if it's payed for once...well its my business with whom im going to share it.
Several years ago there was an argument that one should only be allowed to have up to 7 friends listening to one cd otherwise et would be considered as stealing.
And in the end musicians should earn their living from lives and concerts and if they do it for money...well let them go and leave the thing because they are not doing it for the right reasons. I am not a proffessional musician but I do some with my friends and as a hobby and I am a proffessional artist and yes I have some works under copyright but only the ones which are owned by some company.

Me myself I will not copyright my own works they are free for all and so should be music. I have struggled years to reach this competence level but that does not mean that I am doing it for the money, I am doing it because I cant live without doing it. I dont belive that one should be payed for one idea again and again. Sold it few times...well its time for something new prove that you are worth being in the top of the charts. Have lives and if you are good enough you wont starve.

beerchug.gif

I can imagine I am not earning any + points here with my thouhts but I have never been good at keeping my jaws shut in these matters.
As everyone here already know im sure the copyright issues started with Guthenberg's printing Press and cathlic church claiming that only it can release bibles...
In the 70's movie and film industries were worried that they will die because of tapes and cassettes...

They are still here....

May 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlekiin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LoL might be the best way to support some one you like.
And if they are a good live artist it will be worth it and you would have to buy 30 or 40 cd's in order for them to make as much a buying one ticket to one show..... I saw Prince that way and hooked up with a girl/woman ...... it gets kinda fuzzy after that
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

Also i remeber going to NIN and watching this group called STP open for them and like everyone else there was stunned and amazed and a fan for life. Absolutely killed NIN, people started booing them after the 2nd song, it was brutal.

May 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 165
Quote:

Arrr!

...What? I didn't make any noise just then.

Anyway, I like buying the stuff when I can. Nothing sounds better than a CD that you ripped yourself.

Unless you like 96kbps, in that case you should go away.

EDIT: oh, and if you live where I do in the US, and like the music I do, you don't get to see anything live. All of it is in UK/JP/AUS. >:C

May 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arrr!

...What? I didn't make any noise just then.

Anyway, I like buying the stuff when I can. Nothing sounds better than a CD that you ripped yourself.

Unless you like 96kbps, in that case you should go away.

EDIT: oh, and if you live where I do in the US, and like the music I do, you don't get to see anything live. All of it is in UK/JP/AUS. >:C

Well yes It can be hard from time to time. But you have to have some local bands that are good enough? Have you looked into them? I recently discovered alot of local undergroud music which is way better than I ever suspected.

And also about being a fan for life... Well I went to see Metallica when I was young and stupid and they where warmed by Monster magnet and immediately I was hooked. I don't listen to them too much anymore but Monster magnet is till one of most influential bands in my life. In my personal top with Jethro tull and Pink floyd.

I also have to argue that without filesharing I would buy alot less music because I only buy things I really like and sharing has introduced me to loads of different artists and I have actually bought few DVD's now with concerts on them just because I can and I want to support them.

Another funny story.

Years back I bought a metal cd from a bandmember and well he himself copied it for me from his original. We met under the blanket of darkness I payed him 50bucks and we left our separate ways. Only time in my life when I have bought a copied cd from the most legit source imaginable.

May 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 165
Trent's a ******, and he stole this idea (and most of his good ideas) from his old friends in Pigface.

May 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #28 of 165
Arr' deuce indeed he should walk the plank.

He does not even come close to Skinny puppy and Ministry but that is a matter of taste. I think he is emo and when it comes to emoness and eating prozak well then at least Peter Steele does that with style (Type O negative).
biggrin.gif

Edit: Is this what they call flaming? or Trolling? if it is let me know ill stop.

May 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #29 of 165
A few things:

1) buying from Big Music actually mostly supports the record label and not the artist, since the labels rip off the artists just as much as they rip off the customers, if not more so.

2) file-sharing is actually financially beneficial to independent artists, since it allows them to be discovered by many more people, and the majority of people that pirate music are never going to be paying customers in the first place. Targeting them and making sure that they can't pirate music isn't going to put more money into your coffers since these people were never your customers to begin with. They can't afford your music and they aren't suddenly going to start paying money they don't have.

File-sharing lets the music spread to more people and some of those people have the means to pay for it. And in my experience, they usually do. Simply to support the artists and the independent labels that support them.

The industry is killing itself by raising prices, cracking down on file-sharing, and attempting to max out revenue by appealing only to the lowest common denominator. Instead it needs to focus on offering a better product - lossless downloads, no DRM or draconian licenses, and of course better music. However this won't happen IMO and big labels will crash and burn, lashing out at people and destroying lives in the process until they're finally in hell where they belong, and in their place independent labels will become the norm and be more successful - until that is they conglomerate and become the new Big Music, and the cycle will repeat ad nauseum.

May 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 165
Quote:

Well yes It can be hard from time to time. But you have to have some local bands that are good enough? Have you looked into them? I recently discovered alot of local undergroud music which is way better than I ever suspected.

And also about being a fan for life... Well I went to see Metallica when I was young and stupid and they where warmed by Monster magnet and immediately I was hooked. I don't listen to them too much anymore but Monster magnet is till one of most influential bands in my life. In my personal top with Jethro tull and Pink floyd.

I also have to argue that without filesharing I would buy alot less music because I only buy things I really like and sharing has introduced me to loads of different artists and I have actually bought few DVD's now with concerts on them just because I can and I want to support them.

Another funny story.

Years back I bought a metal cd from a bandmember and well he himself copied it for me from his original. We met under the blanket of darkness I payed him 50bucks and we left our separate ways. Only time in my life when I have bought a copied cd from the most legit source imaginable.

This is eastern TN, the mainstream is country and bluegrass, the underground is metal and the sort. No good dance music at all, less so hardcore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back