CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 22, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #2,716 of 3,770
I have been listening to the top IEMs in my collection, TRI i3, Starsea, MT300 and Believe. Today I tried the CKX and it certainly holds up well in this exalted company. I think CCA have tuned this really well, as they did with the CSN. Looking forward to the next model!

May 22, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #2,717 of 3,770
I have been listening to the top IEMs in my collection, TRI i3, Starsea, MT300 and Believe. Today I tried the CKX and it certainly holds up well in this exalted company. I think CCA have tuned this really well, as they did with the CSN. Looking forward to the next model!
How was CCA CKX compared to Tri i3 and Starsea?
CKX is fair bit cheaper in my place but i wonder on the audio quality gap between them.

May 22, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #2,718 of 3,770
The CKX does not have the refinement of the Starsea nor the dramatic presentation of the i3, but it is very well balanced, W shaped with deep bass, excellent mids and detailed extended treble. It is also very well made. If it had a better cable and a fancy presentation I dare say they could easily charge twice the current price and it would still be good value. I am using a TRI Through cable with the CKX and it suits it very well.

May 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,719 of 3,770
The CKX does not have the refinement of the Starsea nor the dramatic presentation of the i3, but it is very well balanced, W shaped with deep bass, excellent mids and detailed extended treble. It is also very well made. If it had a better cable and a fancy presentation I dare say they could easily charge twice the current price and it would still be good value. I am using a TRI Through cable with the CKX and it suits it very well.
Is the CKX a significant improvement over the CSN? I got the CSN and I'm really stunned at how good it is for the money. Zpolt put up a review of the CKX with a graph that suggests some excess energy in some spots in the treble. After some time with them, is the treble annoying you at all? I'm fine with using EQ but it would be nice to not have to do that. The BA8 and VX are already in that obligatory-EQ niche for me.

BTW, I got the Starsea and I'm not impressed at all. It's a nice tuning and a nice package, but it's just not resolving enough for me to be worth the money. I haven't given up on them yet but that's where I'm leaning. The CSN sounds a lot better to me.

May 22, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,720 of 3,770
I am not treble sensitive but do appreciate extension and clarity up top. I enjoy the VX in this respect. The CKX is not as bright as the VX. The CSN is very good at its price level but the CKX is superior in all areas IMO. I am surprised you find the Starsea lacking in resolution, for me it is one of the most resolving IEMs I have. It does need extra amplification and I found the Balanced setting to suit me the best.

May 22, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,721 of 3,770
I am not treble sensitive but do appreciate extension and clarity up top. I enjoy the VX in this respect. The CKX is not as bright as the VX. The CSN is very good at its price level but the CKX is superior in all areas IMO. I am surprised you find the Starsea lacking in resolution, for me it is one of the most resolving IEMs I have. It does need extra amplification and I found the Balanced setting to suit me the best.
Thanks for that. I'll spend some more time with the Starsea on the balanced setting. I'll probably have to get the CKX now. :sweat_smile:

May 24, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,722 of 3,770
Following my success with the CKX and the TRI Through cable, I have ubeen testing the CA16 with the KBEAR Limpid Pro cable in an attempt to give a little bit more sparkle up top. I can report that it was successful! There is an even better balance than before and the CA16 is a very satisfying listen. Another bonus is the improved transient response, they are now very "snappy" indeed.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,723 of 3,770
Revisiting my C16, fitted with KBEAR wide bore tips and 16 core SPC, it is clear that synergy is very important. Via my Xduoo X20 the sound is amazing on these, the tuning is excellent and the soundstage is huge. This is one of the tracks I have been listening to:

Thanks for reminding me about Mark Dwane. I'm a fan of his music and for some reason forgot to check in the past four years for any recent material he'd done. The CKX is my current favorite iem--nice low end heft and clarity in the mids and treble. It does well with my library of tunes.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,724 of 3,770
Thanks for reminding me about Mark Dwane. I'm a fan of his music and for some reason forgot to check in the past four years for any recent material he'd done. The CKX is my current favorite iem--nice low end heft and clarity in the mids and treble. It does well with my library of tunes.
Mark Dwane has been very active. You can see all of his albums on Bandcamp. You are right about the CKX, it has the perfect profile for this kind of music.

May 24, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,725 of 3,770
So far, I've been listening to the CKX and will be reviewing them soon. But, I must say, they are incredibly good sounding for the price. They're not just surprisingly compact, but they sound mature and more expensive then the price they're currently going for.

...Thereafter, I'll be reviewing their flagship model, CS16, and a new camper, CA2 later within a few weeks apart from each other.:thumbsup:

-Clear

May 24, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #2,726 of 3,770
So far, I've been listening to the CKX and will be reviewing them soon. But, I must say, they are incredibly good sounding for the price. They're not just surprisingly compact, but they sound mature and more expensive then the price they're currently going for.

...Thereafter, I'll be reviewing their flagship model, CS16, and a new camper, CA2 later within a few weeks apart from each other.:thumbsup:

-Clear
Looking forward to your reviews. I posted my review of the CS16 here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cca-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.900149/post-16138165
And my CKX review here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cca-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.900149/post-16236515
It will be interesting to compare our findings!

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,727 of 3,770
CCA CA16 Tiandirenhe tuning filter mod:

Tiandirenhe TD06 and TD08 IEMs come with a set of tuning filters for specific frequency range boost: bass, mids, and treble. These filters look OEM but I haven't seen them sold separatly.

Randomly discovered that these filters sit perfectly on the lip at the end of CA16 nozzle. Although there's no area to screw filters in, they stay put once tips are in place. They work well as they slightly adjust the sound as intended without any distortion.

Sorry I do not graph but here are my impressions:

Red (bass) filter: CA16 are not bass-shy in stock form. However, midbass is more prominent. Red filter improves bass extension sub low. With this filter, CA16 reach basshead territory.

Black (mids) filter: CA16 is already mid-oriented with a soundstage that's more wide than tall. Black filter boosts the mids even more, and as the result the soundstage gains some depth including improved vocal performance that comes across slighty holographic.

Blue (treble) filter: the biggest knock against CA16 is the treble extension which makes it a pretty good pick for treble sensitive crowd. Not me. In bid to improve treble, I have been using SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips due to wide bore and thin material. Blue filter adds some high extension and a little sparkle appears. It's honestly still not enough for me and I was expecting more but it's an improvement nonetheless. This filter is the best option overall since it makes CA16 more all-around sounding.

Using these filters on CA16 is fun and makes them more enjoyable to listen to due to added variety of sound.

IMG_20210525_155036.jpg

May 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,728 of 3,770
CCA CA16 Tiandirenhe tuning filter mod:

Tiandirenhe TD06 and TD08 IEMs come with a set of tuning filters for specific frequency range boost: bass, mids, and treble. These filters look OEM but I haven't seen them sold separatly.

Randomly discovered that these filters sit perfectly on the lip at the end of CA16 nozzle. Although there's no area to screw filters in, they stay put once tips are in place. They work well as they slightly adjust the sound as intended without any distortion.

Sorry I do not graph but here are my impressions:

Red (bass) filter: CA16 are not bass-shy in stock form. However, midbass is more prominent. Red filter improves bass extension sub low. With this filter, CA16 reach basshead territory.

Black (mids) filter: CA16 is already mid-oriented with a soundstage that's more wide than tall. Black filter boosts the mids even more, and as the result the soundstage gains some depth including improved vocal performance that comes across slighty holographic.

Blue (treble) filter: the biggest knock against CA16 is the treble extension which makes it a pretty good pick for treble sensitive crowd. Not me. In bid to improve treble, I have been using SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips due to wide bore and thin material. Blue filter adds some high extension and a little sparkle appears. It's honestly still not enough for me and I was expecting more but it's an improvement nonetheless. This filter is the best option overall since it makes CA16 more all-around sounding.

Using these filters on CA16 is fun and makes them more enjoyable to listen to due to added variety of sound.

IMG_20210525_155036.jpg
Great find for fun tuning!
Then these filters should fit other KZ/CCA with narrow nozzles - should be even more fun :)
Actually DQ6 may be the best recipient for such tuning.

P. S. I did actually got these nice green Tiandirenhe, just need to locate the filters to try one day :)

May 25, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,729 of 3,770
Great find for fun tuning!
Then these filters should fit other KZ/CCA with narrow nozzles - should be even more fun :)
Actually DQ6 may be the best recipient for such tuning.

P. S. I did actually got these nice green Tiandirenhe, just need to locate the filters to try one day :)
Gonna try on DQ6 later, good call:L3000:

May 28, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,730 of 3,770
How was CCA CKX compared to Tri i3 and Starsea?
CKX is fair bit cheaper in my place but i wonder on the audio quality gap between them.
Unfortunately, I don't own the TRI i3, so I can't comment on their performance, but I can make some comments regarding the Starseas. Edit: forewarning that all of my comments regarding the Starseas are made with the Bass boost switch enabled and no other switch tweaks. Both IEMs are using Defean TWS-Pro tips because their smaller bore nozzle aperture and foam construction help boost bass and mids while taming treble. This is mainly because I am treble sensitive. If you are not, then it may not be a necessary consideration to use a small bore tip or foams.

I'm currently doing my burn-in on my Starseas, but I can say already that they're a much more resolving IEM compared to the CCA CKX. CCA has done excellent work tuning the Bellsing BA drivers for the CKX, but they still aren't quite at the level of the Knowles and TRI custom BA drivers. On top of that, the CKX has some unfortunate peaks in the treble response that I'm cautiously attributing to the use of a coaxial nozzle-placed BA driver. If you can get them on sale at around $50, the CCA CKX perform well above their price point. In terms of fit and finish, they're already hitting above their price point. The Starseas have better resolution and a more open, airy sound that lends itself to a larger and more atmospheric soundstage compared to the CKX. Personally, I also prefer the resin shell of the Starsea for the weight, since the CKX is quite heavy for such a compact IEM. Thanks to a slightly longer nozzle and lighter overall weight, I find the Starseas to be a bit more comfortable to wear, but I never really had any problems wearing the CKX for 6-8 hours at a time, so it'll really be down to personal preference here too.

Bass: Both perform about the same, with decent sub-bass response, solid bass, and excellent mid-bass with minimal bleed into the mids thanks to the use of BA drivers for the majority of the mid-frequency reproduction.

This song really pounds those 40Hz wubs and can show how well your IEMs handle the transition from bass to sub-bass nicely.

Mids: The CKX has more mid strength, owing to the use of quite a few more BA drivers, but the Starseas have more resolution in their mids and the instrumentation reproduction sounds more natural and authentic. For a $65-$70 IEM, the CKX is pretty admirable for its fidelity here, but it isn't quite as good in my opinion.

Here you get interesting strings and breathy wind instruments

and here you get a song that covers the whole spectrum with great mids, twinkling highs, and a subtle sub-bass rumble partway through.

Speaking of more natural instrumentation reproduction, the Starseas really make the strings and the rain sticks sound incredibly realistic. It's just a comparatively marginal improvement over the CKX, like saying the CKX have a 7/10 in timbre and reproduction, the Starseas get an 8/10.

Treble: The CKX has modestly elevated treble, but the peaks from all of the BA drivers and their respective placement can contribute some harshness and make the treble quite hot in some tracks. Adding equalization can dramatically improve these qualities to make the CKX an extremely competitive and well-rounded budget IEM. The Starseas have distinctly elevated treble, contributing to their sense of airy reproduction, and the relatively minimal peaks in this frequency speaks highly of TRI's tuning department.

One of my go-to treble demos. Loads of highs that can routinely sound strident or piercing on lesser IEMs, or can easily indicate where you need to EQ to tame a wayward BA driver.

EQ isn't strictly necessary on the Starseas to tame them, but adding some additional kick to the ultra-high frequencies can improve their upper extension further. Both lack extension past around 14kHz, though that's rarely a problem for most average listeners, since these can prove challenging to hear in the first place unless you're treble sensitive or very young. I'm treble sensitive and like some additional grunt in the mids, bass, and sub-bass. My EQ for the CKX can be seen below:

2UWuXs9.jpg

I find that this provide a slightly bass-heavy neutral signature with moderate treble lift. YMMV, since everyone has vastly different hearing and preferences for their sound signature. If you aren't treble-sensitive, you may not need to do anything to enjoy the CCA CKX.

Final notes: Both of these IEMs benefit tremendously from tip rolling and source selection. I usually go with a small nozzle tip to help tame the treble on both without needing to do even more work with EQ, plus the additional resistance helps add some resolution back into the bass by loading the drivers up more, but it isn't strictly necessary. Just another point of personal preference. What isn't personal preference is that both of these IEMs like a high-res source with some driving power, particularly the CKX. They aren't so high impedance that they can't be used on lesser sources, but they do kick much better with some more power behind them. I ran both balanced off my HiBy R3 Pro Saber (an excellent inexpensive DAP if you want something compact and cheap that can also function as a LDAC bluetooth transceiver for your PC) and the CKX can easily take more power than the Starseas before they threaten to deafen you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back