CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,081 of 3,770
You can argue that Rahman, one of India’s most famous and successful musicians at 47, can afford to. After all he tasted huge success at the age of 25 with his very first soundtrack, for the Tamil language film Roja (Rose), which was listed on Time magazine’s all-time 10 Best Soundtracks in 2005.

American film critic Richard Corliss wrote that the composer’s ‘astonishing debut work parades Rahman’s gift for alchemizing outside influences until they are totally Tamil, totally Rahman.

He plays with reggae and jungle rhythms, fiddles with Broadway-style orchestrations, runs cool variations on Hollywood maestro Ennio Morricone’s scores for Italian westerns’.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,082 of 3,770
I have never heard this before, so I was just describing what I heard. How this compares to the original, I can't say, but I was impressed by the production and the clarity of the recording.
the original cd version which i heard in discman has a more holographic sound than the youtube vid with just the sony supplied discman earphones back in 1996

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,083 of 3,770
the original cd version which i heard in discman has a more holographic sound than the youtube vid with just the sony supplied discman earphones back in 1996
Discman! I still have a Panasonic portable CD player. I dug it out the other day and tried it with my C16s. It sounded very good, actually! Rahman's music is new to me, it is a genre I have not explored. There is so much music to discover.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,084 of 3,770
Discman! I still have a Panasonic portable CD player. I dug it out the other day and tried it with my C16s. It sounded very good, actually! Rahman's music is new to me, it is a genre I have not explored. There is so much music to discover.
just like how we discovered his music back in 1992... its quite intriguing journey in the whole of 90s for many Rahman fans .. when his style of music was new..however his 90s music was quite different, more articulated/experimental than what we hearing from him at present....

THis was Rahman's debut song which made him famous

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,085 of 3,770
Rahman;s music = basically the difference between the discman's sound and these youtube versions is this

Discman - more holographic treble sparkle , accurate stereo positioning , more roundness to the sound and vibrancy/ coherence
The youtube vids - sparkle and crisp is present at the expense of some loss in stereo positioning but has depth ( this is probably due to newer sound hardware on laptops and audio players)

But regardless they are very close to the CD versions,

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,086 of 3,770
Rahman is arguably India's greatest music composer. His tracks is what I use to check imaging, soundstage and coherence of any headphones/IEM.

@SweetEars yes it's originally in Tamil, since I'm not a native Tamil speaker I usually prefer these songs in Hindi. Kadhalan, Muqabla, Indian, Roja, Jeans are few if my favorites from 90s.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,087 of 3,770
thanks... i have updated with one more vid... pls check the original post..

KS ZS7 or cca A10 .. which should i get next if i want to listen to the above vids

Prefer V shape ..
sub bass and lots of sparkle and air
thanks... i have updated with one more vid... pls check the original post..

KS ZS7 or cca A10 .. which should i get next if i want to listen to the above vids

Prefer V shape ..
sub bass and lots of sparkle and air
ZS7 is more V shaped and has the sub bass you want. A10 has sparkle and air! That's quite a balancing act, another candidate would be the Tin T3. For less money the CCA CA4 has the sub bass too and a W shaped profile.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,088 of 3,770
ZS7 is more V shaped and has the sub bass you want. A10 has sparkle and air! That's quite a balancing act, another candidate would be the Tin T3. For less money the CCA CA4 has the sub bass too and a W shaped profile.
Do you think/feel that CA4 is W-shaped?
I just perceived it less V-shaped than ZSN (?)

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,089 of 3,770
Rahman is arguably India's greatest music composer. His tracks is what I use to check imaging, soundstage and coherence of any headphones/IEM.

@SweetEars yes it's originally in Tamil, since I'm not a native Tamil speaker I usually prefer these songs in Hindi. Kadhalan, Muqabla, Indian, Roja, Jeans are few if my favorites from 90s.

same here ...Whats amazing is Rahman a tamil musician is able to do hindi tracks very well.. he is extremely gifted talent

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,090 of 3,770

Although hindi versions are good but originally these songs are made for south indians and of cos they lyrics the tune and the singing style which enhances the enjoyment are undoubtedly culturally thamil, which some of the essence may be have been lost in hindi dubbed versions.

the music of the thamil movie gentleman is not in hindi..

But i recommend this song

There is also original instrumental version from rahman

Another good one to test soundstage and sub bass

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,091 of 3,770
Why don't you guys start a thread for this music and not hijack another thread

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #1,092 of 3,770
I
Do you think/feel that CA4 is W-shaped?
I just perceived it less V-shaped than ZSN (?)
I found the CA4 to be W shaped and the ZSN Pro a shallower V shape. CA4 for me has more sub bass and ZSN Pro more mid bass.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,093 of 3,770
Why don't you guys start a thread for this music and not hijack another thread
All this talk about Ramen is making me hungry! Who doesn’t like a nice hot bowl of noodles? Okay sorry, old joke. You know why it’s an old joke? It’s because it’s the same thing I said the LAST time a thread was hijacked by Rahmen fanatics!!! Hahah

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,094 of 3,770
All this talk about Ramen is making me hungry! Who doesn’t like a nice hot bowl of noodles? Okay sorry, old joke. You know why it’s an old joke? It’s because it’s the same thing I said the LAST time a thread was hijacked by Rahmen fanatics!!! Hahah
like u said there are lots of rahman fanatics all over the world... he is around for 25 years and above,,, maintaining his popularity..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back