CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,771 of 3,770
Would love to hear your thoughts on a comparison between your CA16's and C12's - I love my C12's, I'm curious as to how they sound in relation to CA16.
C12 are lovely, to me they are (as well as KZX) are continuation of ZS10 pro development - V-shape, more refined in some sense; work for everything I listen.

CA16 are significantly different.
Some people say "vintage sound" or "warm"; while initially it is more so, after 30+ hours, CA16 became more balanced to my ears.

What I love about CA16 again is how seamlessly DD and BAs are integrated.
It is probably a bit less bass in CA16 compared to C12 (both are sufficient for me).
Definitely, not as nicely sparkle (to me) treble as in C12.

To me CA16 fit is very nice; while CA16 look quite bulky, their insertion cross-section, so to speak, is quite close to C12 (and C12 my default nice fit shape, very comfortable but a bit less isolation since C12 are a bit smaller).

C12 build is top notch.
In CA16 some cost cutting is in several pieces of the housing with visible seams (it could be due to easier fit and alignment of all the BAs), and in the best traditions of Henry Ford, all colours can be ordered, as long as they are black :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,772 of 3,770
I'm in agreement with PhonoPhi. Out of the box and upgraded with a 16 core cable and KZ Starline /Spiral Dot tips, the CA16 isn't a clear cut winner over the C12 yet. The CA16 sound is warm and the C12 treble peaks sounds a little bit better. I've been enjoying my Monoprice M1070 a lot lately and can appreciate what the CA16 is doing for $50. We'll see how it is after a few days/weeks.

To demonstrate the warmth of the CA16, I normally have to run my tube preamp and turn up the bass tone knob a bit to get the bass tone I want. I turn it off completely for the CA16 because it's not needed.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,773 of 3,770
IMG_20200715_072359.jpg

My tips, that fits me and seals well 😄 Baby ear canals I have.
I have fairly large ears (at least I was able to work out BA10 :)) and I prefer large tips with shallow fit like Spiral Dots.

Small nozzles of CA16 were a bit unusual at first but perfectly fine in the end.

I actually really like how the nozzles (4.0 mm) have narrow (less than 0.5 mm) thicker (5.0 mm) rings not at the very end (as most common) but 1-1.5 mm from the end.

1594726032752463818830773850206.jpg
These rings hold tips in one point and give some flexibility for a SpinFit-like effect.

P. S. My common wide shallow tips work perfectly with CCA CA16
15947262262148190806220023812070.jpg

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,775 of 3,770
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,776 of 3,770
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,777 of 3,770
Seems KZ/CCA is going back down the wireless rabbithole like the start of this year. I haven't tried the KZ wireless stuff, but seems most of the reviews I read have issues with the connectivity or battery life of these wireless gear.

Will wait for reviews first man.
Im not even interested in wireless at all :joy:

Aside from SQ reasons, it would feel like my Dap is wasted on it since the SQ from the Dap is the same as your smartphone with wireless stuff.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,779 of 3,770
C12 are lovely, to me they are (as well as KZX) are continuation of ZS10 pro development - V-shape, more refined in some sense; work for everything I listen.

CA16 are significantly different.
Some people say "vintage sound" or "warm"; while initially it is more so, after 30+ hours, CA16 became more balanced to my ears.

What I love about CA16 again is how seamlessly DD and BAs are integrated.
It is probably a bit less bass in CA16 compared to C12 (both are sufficient for me).
Definitely, not as nicely sparkle (to me) treble as in C12.

To me CA16 fit is very nice; while CA16 look quite bulky, their insertion cross-section, so to speak, is quite close to C12 (and C12 my default nice fit shape, very comfortable but a bit less isolation since C12 are a bit smaller).

C12 build is top notch.
In CA16 some cost cutting is in several pieces of the housing with visible seams (it could be due to easier fit and alignment of all the BAs), and in the best traditions of Henry Ford, all colours can be ordered, as long as they are black :)

Great bit of info there, thanks @PhonoPhi
How you describe CA16 ties in with what I've read/watched so far.
Main point being they seem to have nailed the DD/BA combo so they are more coherent as a whole compared to previous KZ/CCA offerings.
CA16 sound like they would do well with classical/jazz/acoustic.
The two chi fi's I've started with are C12 and ZSX, C12 despite giving more attention to the high end in terms of presentation, actually sound more balanced as a whole.
ZSX is warmer but the scooped mids means it can at times sound like low end + high end detail. There isn't the glue in between to gel the sound together, the C12 does a bit better job of masking the hybrid drivers.
By the sounds of it the CA16 does an even better job in this respect.
I love the C12 as it hypes the pretty high end detail on songs, it just makes for a clear listen.

I for one am super exited to see what KZ do next with this driver arrangement, BA not in nozzle CA16 style......

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,780 of 3,770
Great bit of info there, thanks @PhonoPhi
How you describe CA16 ties in with what I've read/watched so far.
Main point being they seem to have nailed the DD/BA combo so they are more coherent as a whole compared to previous KZ/CCA offerings.
CA16 sound like they would do well with classical/jazz/acoustic.
The two chi fi's I've started with are C12 and ZSX, C12 despite giving more attention to the high end in terms of presentation, actually sound more balanced as a whole.
ZSX is warmer but the scooped mids means it can at times sound like low end + high end detail. There isn't the glue in between to gel the sound together, the C12 does a bit better job of masking the hybrid drivers.
By the sounds of it the CA16 does an even better job in this respect.
I love the C12 as it hypes the pretty high end detail on songs, it just makes for a clear listen.

I for one am super exited to see what KZ do next with this driver arrangement, BA not in nozzle CA16 style......

C16 also didn’t have drivers in the nozzle also. And possibly a few others.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,781 of 3,770
C16 also didn’t have drivers in the nozzle also. And possibly a few others.
Thanks @Slater, I thought this was a KZ/CCA first.
I guess driver placement aside it's all down to how they sound!

Also I'm stumped as to the right Comply tips to get for C12's - I just went to order but I can't work out which size will fit, they do 100/200/400 series etc, despite google and CCA website I'm still clueless...
Nozzle size on C12 is 4.2mm -
Comply doesn't list CCA in their guide so I can't go off their recommendation.
Please help a brother out!

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,782 of 3,770

Also I'm stumped as to the right Comply tips to get for C12's - I just went to order but I can't work out which size will fit, they do 100/200/400 series etc, despite google and CCA website I'm still clueless...

Unfortunately I don’t have the C12. But the T200 should fit based on the measurement you provided :)

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,783 of 3,770

How did you measure 4.2 mm for C12?

My caliper take is 5.2-5.3 mm, exactly as most recent KZ, so T500 are commonly used.

CA16 have a thinner nozzle, there 4 mm foams work.
The same 4 mm ones do not fit well for C12 (it is possible to put them on but they look quite thoroughly squished :)).

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,784 of 3,770
How did you measure 4.2 mm for C12?

My caliper take is 5.2-5.3 mm, exactly as most recent KZ, so T500 are commonly used.

CA16 have a thinner nozzle, there 4 mm foams work.
The same 4 mm ones do not fit well for C12 (it is possible to put them on but they look quite thoroughly squished :)).

Oh man thank you. I think you just saved me from wasting £15 so much appreciated.
I was given the measurement from a fellow head fi member that has C12's and a caliper.
I will go for T500, I think it's the same nozzle size as ZSX for C12?
Everyone here with aftermarket ear tips makes it look a doddle to order replacements lol

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #1,785 of 3,770
Seems KZ/CCA is going back down the wireless rabbithole like the start of this year. I haven't tried the KZ wireless stuff, but seems most of the reviews I read have issues with the connectivity or battery life of these wireless gear.

Will wait for reviews first man.

Dont be the first man and I wont for sure.
Definitely they are using same technologies as KZ Z1, exact same charging case, similar battery capacity (written 3 hours - 2.5 hours reality), and maybe they have other bugs as well (hiccups when batt is low), stuttering issue when source is blocked by something (wall is 1 thing but table, etc).
I like my Z1 sound after EQ (original tuning is very v shape, big quantity in bass and boosted trebles, recessed mids which is oppose of my preference of forwarded mids). They have great 10mm xun turbocharger whatever gimmicks but i like the moving air produced by them.
But this CX10 are using 7mm driver (i guess same DD with CA16) so that impact of 10mm XUN is questionable.

Still how bad or nice the tuning, they need to improve on TWS technicalities. They have improvements from KZ BT infamous drop connection when phone in your pocket / bag. But still have many problems on batt life / connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back