Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 7, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #752 of 2,224
Not at all (and no audio).

So, TC28i Pro only has a problem with new original iPhone fast charger? I'm surprised you get no audio. I would have assumed your adapter is defective, but you got it to work with every other charger. I tried it with a dozen of Anker and other random brand chargers, even tried it from usb port of my laptop, all works. I might have to get that iPhone fast charger; only have a used iPhone XS Max for test purpose and it came without the original charger. I also got 20W iPhone fast charger from amazon, dozens of non-Apple brands selling it so it's probably a knock-off.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #753 of 2,224
So, TC28i Pro only has a problem with new original iPhone fast charger? I'm surprised you get no audio. I would have assumed your adapter is defective, but you got it to work with every other charger. I tried it with a dozen of Anker and other random brand chargers, even tried it from usb port of my laptop, all works. I might have to get that iPhone fast charger; only have a used iPhone XS Max for test purpose and it came without the original charger. I also got 20W iPhone fast charger from amazon, dozens of non-Apple brands selling it so it's probably a knock-off.
Apologies, just did another test and with my i-phone 11 Apple charger I do get audio
but no charging. I have a couple of Anker ones, one with an IQ port and that charges as well apparently. They do mention this on the product sheet "The TC28i Pro can NOT work with the quick charger. If the spec of the charger or power bank exceeds 5V/1A, it can NOT make iPhone charged when connecting with the TC28i Pro."

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #754 of 2,224
I re-do the power draw test so it is more consistent with how I did the W4 test, here are the result

SE: Vol65
DSD64:​
USB: 5.184V 0.171A 0.89W
Output: 0.0915V 13.59ma 1.24mW
DSD128:​
USB: 5.183V 0.187A 0.97W
Output:: 0.0915V 13.59ma 1.24mW
DSD256:​
USB: 5.181V 0.217A 1.12W
Output: 0.0913V 13.53mA 1.23mW

BL: Vol65
DSD64:​
USB: 5.181V 0.211A 1.09W
Output: 0.1797V 24.82mA 4.46mW
DSD128:​
USB: 5.181V 0.231A 1.09W
Output: 0.1796V 24.86mA 4.46mW
DSD256:​
USB: 5.178V 0.262A 1.36W
Output: 0.1793V 25.02mA 4.49mW
----

Output impedance are calculated to be 0.6 ohm for SE output and 1.1 ohm for BL output.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #756 of 2,224
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #757 of 2,224
An Android DAP for FPS gaming. What’s the latency like ?
It's a multi-platform DAC+amp dongle, not a DAP. I've been using RU6/M15 off my PC(gaming, music, etc) for a while now. No latency lag that I'm aware of. Played Amnesia - The Bunker last night; it was awesome.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #758 of 2,224
Thought some will be interested (47ohm dummy loud, 1kHz test tone)

RU7 (Vol 65)
USB Power Draw: 5.161V 0.143A = 0.74mW
SE Output: 0.0915V 13.63mA = 1.25mW

For roughly the same output power:

W4 (Vol 77)
USB Power Draw: 5.189V 0.118A = 0.61mW
SE Output: 0.0972V 12.59mA = 1.22mW

I hope you can write about the sound quality/impressions of RU7 vs W4. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #759 of 2,224
My RU7 just out of the box, sounds better than the RU6 (tighter bass, stage). Connected Fir Xe6 iems and fed by lossless Roon Arc. Wonder how will it perforns after burn in (if required).
Apparently it sounds even better with burn-in (100HRs+), I been extremely happy with the RU7 as-is so if it gets even better that would be spectacular.

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #760 of 2,224
So chances are you have old iphone/ipod, Blackberry cheap slow charging chargers usb-A, it will work fine? If you have 15w/30w fastcharge PD etc etc usb-c chargers it won't work?

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #761 of 2,224
Some dealers offer a package deal with iPhone cable bundled.

From what we gathered through our dealers, less than half of our customers need the CS-L2C cable. Users with Android device or iPad don't need that cable.

Less than half is still a big percentage.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #762 of 2,224
Less than half is still a big percentage.
Yes, thats why we made the cable, we didn't ignore the need to take care of our customers . The number is not significant enough to increase the retail price and business risk so that we can include the L2C cable as standard accessories.

There are other inconvenience that we can't talk about publicly, such as the legal and business risk to include a cable that is not certified by the "A" ecologic system. If we run into trouble (from legal case or cable stop working after firmware update), we can recall all cables from dealer and stop selling a cable, but if we include the cable as stabdard accessories, ..... you can imagine the consequences.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #764 of 2,224
Quick impression:

First of, RU7's RMAA measurement (via E1DA's Cosmos, 32 ohm dummy load) is pretty good. Better than RU6 noticeably, not quite the level of W2 / W4 but definitely among front row of my USB dongle collections, so not too shabby.

First thing to notice when compared to RU6 is that RU7 offers much better power and control. It almost has the same level of texture, especially for DSD64 mode, but without too much of the warm fuzziness of R-2R. I think those who find RU6 just a little too old school analog'ish sounding will appreciate the added technicality of the RU7 sound. It just resolves the overall music in better defined detail.

Next, it is hard to talk about RU7 as a whole without differentiating DSD64 vs DSD128 vs DSD256 mode. DSD64 has the most organic and textured sound. Notes are denser, vocal is sweeter and presentation is more intimate. DSD256 on the other hand has the best image / instrument separation with a grander soundstage, but presentation, especially on the mid-range, is flatter and more lifeless when compared to DSD64 mode. DSD128 is in between the two - not quite as grand as DSD256 and not quite as sweet as DSD64, but a little bit of both.

The big difference between RU7 and W4 for me, is that W4 offers the same / better grandness of presentation as RU7's DSD256 without sacrificing the textured on mid-range. W4 also resolves micro-detail noticeably better. It is however not nearly as sweet and intimate as DSD64 mode . So technically speaking, W4 still wins on its neutrality and cleanness, but RU7 holds its own with sweetness and texture. I personally rated my W2 to be just a little ahead of RU6, but I can see RU7 equaling W2 in certain aspects when it comes to vocal heavy music genres. I'll still rate W4 a little ahead, but not as much as the price difference would suggest. Yes, I think RU7 is the better buy price wise compared to W4, but more of a toss up compared to W2.

Last thing to note is RU7 power consumption - definitely on the higher side of things. It gets a little warm during use, so don't except it to be great battery saver.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #765 of 2,224
Quick impression:

First of, RU7's RMAA measurement (via E1DA's Cosmos, 32 ohm dummy load) is pretty good. Better than RU6 noticeably, not quite the level of W2 / W4 but definitely among front row of my USB dongle collections, so not too shabby.

First thing to notice when compared to RU6 is that RU7 offers much better power and control. It almost has the same level of texture, especially for DSD64 mode, but without too much of the warm fuzziness of R-2R. I think those who find RU6 just a little too old school analog'ish sounding will appreciate the added technicality of the RU7 sound. It just resolves the overall music in better defined detail.

Nest, it is hard to talk about RU7 as a whole without differentiating DSD64 vs DSD128 vs DSD256 mode. DSD64 has the most organic and textured sound. Notes are denser, vocal is sweeter and presentation is more intimate. DSD256 on the other hand has the best image / instrument separation with a grander soundstage, but presentation, especially on the mid-range, is flatter and more lifeless when compared to DSD64 mode. DSD128 is in between the two - not quite as grand as DSD256 and not quite as sweet as DSD64, but a little bit of both.

The big difference between RU7 and W4 for me, is that W4 offers the same / better grandness of presentation as RU7's DSD256 without sacrificing the textured on mid-range. W4 also resolves micro-detail noticeably better. It is however not nearly as sweet and intimate as DSD64 mode . So technically speaking, W4 still wins on its neutrality and cleanness, but RU7 holds its own with sweetness and texture. I personally rated my W2 to be just a little ahead of RU6, but I can see RU7 equaling W2 in certain aspects when it comes to vocal heavy music genres. I'll still rate W4 a little ahead, but not as much as the price difference would suggest. Yes, I think RU7 is the better buy price wise compared to W4, but more of a toss up compared to W2.

Last thing to note is RU7 power consumption - definitely on the higher side of things. It gets a little warm during use, so don't except it to be great battery saver.
Interesting, have you tried Phatlab Rio? It’s quite the rival of W4, especially on amp part, and I know that the amplifier is anywhere from 50 to 70% of the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back