Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 2, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #571 of 2,385
I feel badly for you that you had a bad experience. I have ordered from Hifigo, Shenzenaudio, and Linsoul many times in the past and never had a bad experience with them. Maybe my expectations are low, though, because I know up front that it will take a while to receive my order - it is not like ordering from Amazon with usually short and accurate delivery times.
I too was happy with Hifigo, but sometimes they don't have the goods immediately available, for example just last week I ordered a Questyle M15 and an Ares S 8W cable from them. After a few days the M15 was on its way, the cable wasn't... I contacted them and when they told me they weren't available I canceled the order and I was right because yesterday a promotional campaign started directly from Effect Audio and I ordered it there paying 60 euros less. For Hifigo, just check, if they don't ship you cancel the order and move on. :wink:

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #572 of 2,385
I use an app that can store music offline, such as Qobuz.
I used to do that with limited data plan. But it was always a hassle as you had to plan for going out, do download prep, or just resort to listening same tunes over and over, defeating the benefit of streaming altogether. And while it should not be problem with DAPs, on phones to avoid Android 48K resampling UAPP was required, and that app cannot play Qobuz offline content due to legal restrictions.
DAP with own battery can have better amplification, but you can have Gryphon, Topping G5, or even BTR7 which is super compact and also features BT for even more convenience than taping dongle to the phone..

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #573 of 2,385
Someone from Cayin can confirm whether Hifigo has stock of RU7?

Can't speak for Cayin, but why would they have it in stock when they are not an authorized seller of Cayin products? This has been mentioned before in other threads, and some manufacturers posted on their social media channels, warning people about Hifigo being unauthorized seller who buys it through 3rd party broker. And if something happens with your product, you can't contact manufacturer with a direct warranty claim, and have to go through Hifigo to see if they can replace it for you.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #574 of 2,385
Yes. All non-DSD music has to be up-sampled to DSD for the RU7. So, either you have your app do the up-sampling (if it can) or the RU7 do it. With your iPhone though, DSD256 up-sampling (set on the RU7) may not work without drop-outs, due to excessive power draw. At least that is what happens with my 12 Pro Max.

You can download the same music player apps as you can get on any DAP on to your phone, with all the same features. The benefit of a DAP is that you may get better amplification. At least you do in the $1k+ models. DAPs in general are arguably poor value though. Listening between the RU7 and N7, the latter is not $1700 better than the former. It's for people who wont baulk at a $2k spend because they want specifically what it gives as a total package.
Thanks, does it matter if my Iphone app does the DSD up-sample or the DAC? I'm guessing the DAC is better? The only options in my app are DSD to PCM quality modes and DSD over PCM(DoP) which I have enabled and up sampling off not sure if I should turn that on

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #575 of 2,385
The benefit of a DAP is that you may get better amplification.
I always thought DAPs were much more audiophile-geared/spec'd than phones, so the processing and signal cleanliness, accuracy, were a lot better than phones. Android, at least. Maybe phones are generally good enough to not tell a difference, except for the amp section.

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #576 of 2,385
Now only the last dongle is missing from my collection... the RU7 because the M15 arrived yesterday and it's really a beast... with the RU7 I can sit still and wait for something truly miraculous... if there will be...

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #578 of 2,385
I know many people haven't gotten this unit yet but is there any DAC/amp combo in this same price range I should look into that are great for sensitive IEMs and powerful enough that I could use my headphones sometimes if I wanted? Also play nice with Iphones. I guess this is much better than the Fiio Q3?

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #579 of 2,385
I know many people haven't gotten this unit yet but is there any DAC/amp combo in this same price range I should look into that are great for sensitive IEMs and powerful enough that I could use my headphones sometimes if I wanted? Also play nice with Iphones. I guess this is much better than the Fiio Q3?
It’s probably smth with more power. Dongles are for iems buds, dac amps are for both. I’m sure you can research headfi - there’s a limitless count of threads about this, most notable would be The discovery thread
And The watercooler thread
Correct me if I’m wrong

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #580 of 2,385
It’s probably smth with more power. Dongles are for iems buds, dac amps are for both. I’m sure you can research headfi - there’s a limitless count of threads about this, most notable would be The discovery thread
And The watercooler thread
Correct me if I’m wrong
Thanks yeah, I've been looking at the Discovery thread quite a lot(how I found out about the new RU7) just wanted to know if people had opinions here of a DAC/amp that's similar to this spec-wise, seems the Questsyle M15 is one of them but the more I read of peoples opinions the I lean more towards the RU7

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #582 of 2,385
The RU7 arrived earlier today.
Currently burning in along with my Penon 10th AE.
I have sold my RU6 so I don't have it on hand for direct comparisons, but I think I prefer the tonality of the RU7 more.
It has a bit of softness and analogue-like warmth while retaining the technicality and detail-retrieval that I felt was lacking with the RU6.
I am using a Hiby R6 III [Android 12] > RU7 [DSD256, LdB, 42 Volume] > Penon 10th AE
Great job, Cayin!
Now back to listening...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #583 of 2,385
The RU7 arrived earlier today.
Currently burning in along with my Penon 10th AE.
I have sold my RU6 so I don't have it on hand for direct comparisons, but I think I prefer the tonality of the RU7 more.
It has a bit of softness and analogue-like warmth while retaining the technicality and detail-retrieval that I felt was lacking with the RU6.
I am using a Hiby R6 III [Android 12] > RU7 [DSD256] > Penon 10th AE
Great job, Cayin!
Now back to listening...
Great! Congratulations! I'm listening to my fw1800 and ru7

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #585 of 2,385
So today this is Happening! Happy Friday 🤩
IMG_3752.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back