Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #1,546 of 2,176
It depends on the device. It easily outperforms everything I've heard in its price range, but the DX240 is no slouch, especially with AMP8MK2. Even the DX170 probably had a wider soundstage. And the DX240 had better pure resolution and detail retrieval. But the RU7 sounds better and the imaging on DSD128 is unlike anything I've ever heard. I'm not sure how appropriate it is to even compare it to other devices I've heard since it presents the music so differently.
ok, that makes sense! thank you for clarification! I hope it does something regarding soundstage depth and layering. wideness wouldnt be my primary target tbh.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,547 of 2,176
ok, that makes sense! thank you for clarification! I hope it does something regarding soundstage depth and layering. wideness wouldnt be my primary target tbh.
Interestingly, as far as depth goes the RU6 was better. I like the RU7 much more but the RU6 had a cavernous soundstage that could dig into your body.

Also, while the RU7 doesn't have the best soundstage it does have the most organic presentation out of everything I mentioned. It sounds effortlessly correct and often lifelike.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,548 of 2,176
Anyone facing this issue?

I plugged in on my friend's Samsung Note 20 U, the moment there is an audio sound, I can hear cracking sound.

However, on the same phone, plugged in a MoonDrop Dawn, the cracking sound is gone.

Anyone know what is wrong?

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #1,549 of 2,176
I can hear a real difference when RU7 is connected to PC vs Phone ( Galaxy S10+ ). On PC the sound is clearer, fuller, better overall. Wondering if a better source like a DAP with usb output could help improve the sound. Anyone felt this difference?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,550 of 2,176
Does RU7 able to drive a dynamic driver headphone like AKG K371 (32 ohm, 99 db/mw) ?

I mean dynamic driver like voltage and I wonder if RU7 would fully exploit K371 (which is supposed to be easy to drive).

Note: I will use iPhone and 3.5mm RU7 output.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #1,551 of 2,176
I can hear a real difference when RU7 is connected to PC vs Phone ( Galaxy S10+ ). On PC the sound is clearer, fuller, better overall. Wondering if a better source like a DAP with usb output could help improve the sound. Anyone felt this difference?
Android phones like to re-sample audio to 44.1k/48kHz, even if you have an external dac like the RU7.

To get around this you'll need something like the Cayin/HiBy Music apps with the option to have exclusive use of the connected DAC (RU7) - if you're using streaming services like Spotify, AM etc you may be out of luck. You could get a DAP - but I'm not sure theres any merit to using a dap -> dongle dac

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #1,552 of 2,176
Android phones like to re-sample audio to 44.1k/48kHz, even if you have an external dac like the RU7.

To get around this you'll need something like the Cayin/HiBy Music apps with the option to have exclusive use of the connected DAC (RU7) - if you're using streaming services like Spotify, AM etc you may be out of luck. You could get a DAP - but I'm not sure theres any merit to using a dap -> dongle dac

Just my though on this,

I think Tidal app itself output bit perfect on andriod phone. Tidal to me sound much better than spotify, KKbox etc whether it is bit perfect or not.

Getting a chifi DAP (that bypass andriod resampling) is a alternative for streaming app that does not output bit perfect (spotify etc). DAP as a source is much better than andriod phone as a source, I personally can here the different in music between the 2. As I am on Tidal, so I usually use andriod phone as a source to DAC when I am outdoor. In room I will still use DAP as source to DAC.

Having bit perfect to me is not a piority, as my sony wm1am2 play music better to my ear, vs ibasso dap that output bit perfect music.

So the answer your first question, use Tidal app on andriod for your RU7 will give u the best result without getting into DAP.

Just my amature experience ..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,553 of 2,176

Recently got the Samsung Fold 5 and was quite surprised that I was able to get bit perfect audio from it when using it with the RU7.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,554 of 2,176
Recently got the Samsung Fold 5 and was quite surprised that I was able to get bit perfect audio from it when using it with the RU7.
You mean with apps like UAPP right?

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #1,555 of 2,176
Does RU7 able to drive a dynamic driver headphone like AKG K371 (32 ohm, 99 db/mw) ?

I mean dynamic driver like voltage and I wonder if RU7 would fully exploit K371 (which is supposed to be easy to drive).

Note: I will use iPhone and 3.5mm RU7 output.
It should be fine with your K371. My Focal Clear MG Pros are 55 ohms, 104db/mw and I can get to my normal listening volume at 40 on low gain or 35 on high gain. This is using a cable with 3.5mm.

It sounds a lot better using LO to an amp though!

Aug 30, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #1,556 of 2,176
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,558 of 2,176
Just my though on this,

I think Tidal app itself output bit perfect on andriod phone. Tidal to me sound much better than spotify, KKbox etc whether it is bit perfect or not.

Getting a chifi DAP (that bypass andriod resampling) is a alternative for streaming app that does not output bit perfect (spotify etc). DAP as a source is much better than andriod phone as a source, I personally can here the different in music between the 2. As I am on Tidal, so I usually use andriod phone as a source to DAC when I am outdoor. In room I will still use DAP as source to DAC.

Having bit perfect to me is not a piority, as my sony wm1am2 play music better to my ear, vs ibasso dap that output bit perfect music.

So the answer your first question, use Tidal app on andriod for your RU7 will give u the best result without getting into DAP.

Just my amature experience ..

I agree with you on Tidal vs Spotify.
I am using UAPP for Android phone with Tidal, but still can hear a difference compared to PC.

Even with bitperfect ON and bypassing the re-sample audio to 44.1k/48kHz, PC audio quality is just a step above.

Maybe it is related to the USB output, that is why a DAP would make sense if used as source linked to my RU7.

You seem to think that a DAP USB output can be better right ? I am sold !

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,559 of 2,176
I've noticed with the ddhifi lightning cable the RU7 has the best imaging and clarity when I set the iPhone volume at one notch above 0. I haven't tried it with any other cables.
you tested with the 07s Nyx Series or 09s?

I'm thinking of getting the 09s but was told that it is very stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back