Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,746 of 3,665
I have been using an RU6 with an iFi xCAN for about the last three weeks with the volume on the RU6 at 100 with excellent results. I would start with the Cayin recommended vol setting of 70 to 80 and see what works best for your system and go from there. I am using the 3.5mm single ended output on the Cayin to the 3.5mm SE input on the xCAN with the headphones on the xCAN's 2.5mm balanced output. I did not feel I would get much benefit from using the 4.4mm balanced out on the Cayin as it is not a true balanced design.
I have also been using this setup for the last month having purchased the xCAN too. I agree it is great. I purchased the iCAN so that I could drive my Beyer DT880s with a bit more juice. Great synergy 👍

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #2,747 of 3,665
RU6 only supports 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone output, there is no line out or pre-amp output from RU6, not even shared or pseudo line out is supported. If you connect RU6 to an external amplifier, you will double amping.

To do that, and understand the reasons behind my suggestion, you need to know the NOISE PATTERN or RU6, so please read THIS.

Then please read my suggestion to set up your system for double amping with a dongle DAC that uses dedicated analog volume, such as RU6

Finally, please understand the reason behind the volume setting in RU6 double amping.

If you still want to proceed with double amping, I personally recommend 3.5mm single-ended output over 4.4mm balanced output, as discussed HERE and HERE.

Please be reminded that Cayin officially discourages using RU6 as DAC to external amplifiers because it doesn't have a line out, and the noise characteristic of R2R DAC is technically not ideal for "pseudo" line out applications, so these are my suggestion based on my personal experience,

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 27, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #2,748 of 3,665
RU6 only supports 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced headphone output, there is no line out or pre-amp output from RU6, not even shared or pseudo line out is supported. If you connect RU6 to an external amplifier, you will double amping.

To do that, and understand the reasons behind my suggestion, you need to know the NOISE PATTERN or RU6, so please read THIS.

Then please read my suggestion to set up your system for double amping with a dongle DAC that uses dedicated analog volume, such as RU6

Finally, please understand the reason behind the volume setting in RU6 double amping.

If you still want to proceed with double amping, I personally recommend 3.5mm single-ended output over 4.4mm balanced output, as discussed HERE and HERE.

Please be reminded that Cayin officially discourages using RU6 as DAC to external amplifiers because it doesn't have a line out, and the noise characteristic of R2R DAC is technically not ideal for "pseudo" line out applications, so these are my suggestion based on my personal experience,
Thank you so much for a lot of very informative stuff! Can't wait for my RU6 to arrive:)

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #2,749 of 3,665
Okay, that's explained why my setting ( RU6 -> Flux FA-10 sounds so inferior to Modi3 -> FA-10).

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #2,750 of 3,665

I connect my RU6 to the BURSON Soloist via a 3.5 jack to 2xRCA cable, while setting the volume on the RU6 to 100 and choosing NOS, and on the BURSON Soloist I set the volume comfortable for my ears and I do not hear any distortion, the sound is so good. like a real DAC R2R

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #2,751 of 3,665
I connect my RU6 to the BURSON Soloist via a 3.5 jack to 2xRCA cable, while setting the volume on the RU6 to 100 and choosing NOS, and on the BURSON Soloist I set the volume comfortable for my ears and I do not hear any distortion, the sound is so good. like a real DAC R2R

Is the RU6 not a real R-2R DAC? I was under the impression it was which is why I'm asking.

I'm probably being thick or failing to understand some technical delineation that makes the RU6 a pseudo R-2R DAC instead of a real one so don't be too brutal when explaining my stupidity to me, please.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,752 of 3,665
Is the RU6 not a real R-2R DAC? I was under the impression it was which is why I'm asking.

I'm probably being thick or failing to understand some technical delineation that makes the RU6 a pseudo R-2R DAC instead of a real one so don't be too brutal when explaining my stupidity to me, please.

It's a true R-2R DAC, with selectable Over-Sampling or No Over-Sampling.
It doesn't have a true Line Out, so @Andykong has recommended setting the output level to 70-80 to start with, to get a pseudo Line Level voltage, to drive the input of of a connected amplifier.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #2,753 of 3,665
It's a true R-2R DAC, with selectable Over-Sampling or No Over-Sampling.
It doesn't have a true Line Out, so @Andykong has recommended setting the output level to 70-80 to start with, to get a pseudo Line Level voltage, to drive the input of of a connected amplifier.

That's what I thought. If you read the post I replied to the poster says "like a real R2R DAC" so I figured I must be missing something. I like mine a lot so it wouldn't have changed that for me, but for a second I felt a bit stupid lol! Thanks for setting the universe right again.

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #2,754 of 3,665

maybe I wanted to say like a real stationary DAC R2R))

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,756 of 3,665
maybe I wanted to say like a real stationary DAC R2R))

No worries. I was just making sure I understood the product I owned like I thought I did. That's all.

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #2,757 of 3,665
hi guys, currently i am waiting for my yuin pk1 just for nostalgia thing
do you guys think ru6 enough to feed pk1's 150 ohm power hungry

or it will become underpower

I have used the RU6 with my 160ohm Ucotech ES-P1s (100db/mW sensitivity) and 150ohm HE 150Pros (103db/mW sensitivity) and it does an admirable job. Your PK1s are more sensitive (109db/mw according to Penon Audio) than either of them so I think the RU6 will drive them quite well.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #2,758 of 3,665
Had the screen come off recently. Possibly the heat wave we’ve been experiencing. Idk. I might have to send this unit to musicteck if they are cool with it for a replacement.
I'm surprised my comment some weeks back got overlooked in the myriad of celebrating this tech. I get it a lot of you like this device, after pages and pages. but this is a serious problem and could happen to you after months.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #2,759 of 3,665
I'm surprised my comment some weeks back got overlooked in the myriad of celebrating this tech. I get it a lot of you like this device, after pages and pages. but this is a serious problem and could happen to you after months.
If the RU6 itself works, then the fact that the screen has peeled off is not a big problem, you can fix it at the service center where smartphones are repaired, they will glue this protective glass of the screen.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,760 of 3,665
Mine arrived yesterday and just a few minutes of listening and boy was it a bliss to listen with. This is my first experience with an R2R DAC but I have a pretty good idea of highly resolving sources as I've tried various gears that are plain underwhelming to my ears regardless of price which I won't name here.

For me this dongle is not warm by any means. It has a very realistic note definition which makes them weightier than a typical DAC hence the impression that it is leaning on the warm side. The sound to me is very open. Spatial information is very good given the spherical stage. There is a lot of information with each instrument and nothing sounded forced. I was really expecting a warmer and less resolving sound presentation but this device is very clean sounding and didn't lack any resolution to my ears. It pairs very with well with my HD 560S. I prefer NOS like 99% of the time but use OS from time to time with my ER2SE. What a great product.

20220902_174334.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back