Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,282 of 3,683
Has anyone listened to heavy music on RU6, isn't it too smooth for extreme metal?
I can't say for metal but I find for rock, the cymbals / crash and snare drum felt a little bit polite for me. Most notably with snare drum. Kick drum is also slightly softer than how I'd like. But guitar sounds good though. Just snare drum you don't feel the metal coil under the drum.

LOL I think I'm picky on how snare drum sounds and most higher end dongle dac tend to over smooth it. Somehow the cheaper dongle dac tend to do this better since it's less smooth. It's kind of like Grado where it's more rough / coarse but works better in genre that favours that roughness / edginess.

RU6 is not as smooth as W2 / W2-131 but smoother than Dragonfly Red.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,283 of 3,683
I can't say for metal but I find for rock, the cymbals / crash and snare drum felt a little bit polite for me. Most notably with snare drum. Kick drum is also slightly softer than how I'd like. But guitar sounds good though. Just snare drum you don't feel the metal coil under the drum.

LOL I think I'm picky on how snare drum sounds and most higher end dongle dac tend to over smooth it. Somehow the cheaper dongle dac tend to do this better since it's less smooth. It's kind of like Grado where it's more rough / coarse but works better in genre that favours that roughness / edginess.

RU6 is not as smooth as W2 / W2-131 but smoother than Dragonfly Red.
Do you find a touch more edge to cymbal hits (and snare hits too I guess) in OS versus NOS? I tend to always listen with NOS but I remember when I first got the RU6 noting that OS came off a bit more aggressive. I need to revisit OS to confirm, though.

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,284 of 3,683
Do you find a touch more edge to cymbal hits (and snare hits too I guess) in OS versus NOS? I tend to always listen with NOS but I remember when I first got the RU6 noting that OS came off a bit more aggressive. I need to revisit OS to confirm, though.
I didn't test OS too much I just remember NOS sounded more analogue and OS sounded more like other delta sigma dacs so I just stuck with NOS lol. But I do remember reading that people mentioned OS is a little bit more aggressive than NOS.

I've since sold the RU6 though so can't test it anymore unfortunately. :sweat_smile:

I sold it because I prefer source volume control (since I use keyboard to control volume) so I went with other dongles with source volume control. Also I find RU6 has subbass roll off and treble roll off somewhere. For example currently I'm using Dragonfly Red / W2 / W2-131 all 3 have more subbass extension, and all 3 have more treble quantity (though quantity is preference). But I'll give it to RU6 for imaging, where it beats the other 3 by far. Like I really enjoyed playing game with RU6. But I also remember the softer bass always bugged me.

LOL different trade off.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #2,285 of 3,683
How does it compare to DAP such as Ibasso DX160? I was just wondering because I went for the DX160 instead of the Cayin RU6
I have owned both dx160 and ru6 and still own ru6.
Firstly they are both very good devices so i wouldn't be too disappointed which ever you chose and they definitely more or less compete audio wise at the same level imo. I personally preferred the ru6 though audio wise and not really for any technical reasons just because I found it just more enjoyable musically and maybe a little because I hadn't really heard anything else quite like it. Also hardware wise for me it was better for my usage , no need to charge, smaller portability and if you have a pretty good smart phone which I do then a joy to use and I have had no issues ever with it.
Dx160 is very good at it's price range but my Bluetooth was awful and WiFi meh so I wouldn't buy 160 for this usage, obviously with a top smart phone no such issues if this is your intended usage. Both sound really good though and maybe a bit of new toy syndrome different type sound but I did I think I prefer the ru6 overall.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #2,286 of 3,683
Just PO from RU6 into WA8... background is still black, which is impressive considering it isn't a pure LO. However I'm finding this pairing a little too warm for the IE900 I'm using.

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #2,288 of 3,683
Does RU6 scale with good power amp, if so in what qualities?
Power basically... and amplifies the good and the bad out of the RU6~ I only have the WA8 to try it with though so YMMV

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,289 of 3,683
RU6 + Monarch MKII combo is just amazing to my ears. Monarch MKII can be a bit spicy at the treble when paired with my Earstudio HUD100 (i listen to multiple genre music, i can listen to classical songs one day and modern pop songs on the next day lol). The RU6 noticeably smoothen out all the slight treble peaks that I heard from the HUD100, making Monarch MKII so enjoyable to listen to for long period and more forgiving for poorly mastered/recorded songs.
The HUD100 does push a little bit more details, but that might be due to more prominent treble at the top and overall thinner sound. RU6 sounds smooth and thicker without sacrificing too much of its detail retrieval.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #2,290 of 3,683
I found zero difference in audio quality of 3.5 vs 4.4
A/B test, I myself switch the toggle and even through, I heard nothing difference at any means.
So I must unplug a channel of RCA to verify I did not bunco myself
My guess is because RU6 is not technically a true balanced dac. What I mean is that it only duplicated the signal at the last stage (stated by Cayin also there is diagram on 1st page of this thread).

So you probably get more power but otherwise identical source signal?

Other "true balanced" dongle dac split the signal earlier in the steps. My guess is that in order to do "true balanced" they need to double the resistors which make the size limitation impossible?

Very much on the point, RU6 is a single-ended DAC with balanced drive headphone output. We added an unity amp in negative phase to the single end phone out to do that, so it will offer more power, more current, but not the full benefit of balanced design such as better channel serperation.

If we keep the current R2R DAC circuit but use a fully balanced analog circuit, the improvement will be very noticeable already. That will include duplicated LPF, Resistor array volume control and Line Drivers for the negative phase, and two independent Op-Amp for phone output. Unfortunatley, we don't have enough space inside RU6, and need to reduce output power in order to fit this design within the 120mA limit of power supply form some mobile phone.

1648311567668.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 26, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2,291 of 3,683
After A/B Ru6 2 output 3.5 and 4.4, I seriously try A/B Ru6 against SP1K output.

Insane? NO!

I know, I heard Ru6 by HD800S from day1 I got ru6 and found something special to draw me to the music.

@Andykong said SP1000 wins every meaning.
I today said ru6 wins SP1000 when feeding to the amp hdvd800.
(Both bal, se, all dac filter mode in AK)

Ru6 sound liquid, wider imagine (something like adding echoing but actually not), holographic, same clarity, nothing hash.

Idk why when UAPP shows a same moment on my smp(connect to ru6) and on SP1000, output of ru6 is much sooner (apprx 2 seconds!).
(All dsp off on Ak, try all dac filter include short delay)

Ak fw1.66cm
Super Slow roll off : the most close to ru6 but still 2D, not 3D like
Short delay Slow roll off: the most use of mine for directly drives hd800s. But sound worst when feed to the amp.
Mid imagine locate and focus at center, lacking detail overal
Short delay Sharp roll off (default mode): focus mid on center, forward, clarity than other modes, but I feel harsh abit.

Ru6 sounds something mix of Super slow roll off and Default mode but in 3D imagine.
Mid from ru6 so special! 3D, stay backward a bit, wide, realistic timbre.

Update: uapp is something wrong on AK.
Test with Default music app of AK again and I update later
I compare again Ru6 vs AK SP1000 by various include:
-Bal or SE
-Which App and which dac filter
-OS or NOS

I found there's a combination makes me answer wrongly which device is sounding. That is when 2 devices sound identically, happen when AK in SE output + Default player or Neutron + Short delay slow roll-off filter, while Ru6 in Os mode (3.5 or 4.4 doesnt mater).

In 2.5(bal) and using short delay sharp roll off mode, AK wins with more 3D imagine and resolution. If it got 5 point, Ru6 will be 4.5

Luckily I found old version of Uapp is not good on AK from this comparision.
On THAT Uapp version I did not found a case AK sound better than Ru6, just approaching.

Super slow roll off sound worst on AK.
Slow roll off is 2nd worst, for feeding to headamp, but I prefer using it to drives directly a headphone.

Ru6, a really impresive toy

I still find this fancinating, this is David vs Goliath. Hong Kong has a interesting slag to describe this kind of comparison: consider yourself a winner if you can see my tail light when I cross the finishing line. That's why I said SP1000 wins every meaning, RU6 is not even close.

This is really too good to be true, but I'll take your word. I should, unless I don't want to work for Cayin anymore, right? :sweat_smile:

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #2,292 of 3,683
Just PO from RU6 into WA8... background is still black, which is impressive considering it isn't a pure LO. However I'm finding this pairing a little too warm for the IE900 I'm using.

I have steer users away to use RU6 as DAC to portable amplfiier becuse it doesn't have a line out, and the noise characteristic of R2R DAC is technically not ideal for "pseudo" line out application. However, I did try to connect RU6 to C9 to test how it work out. On top of using the pre-amp input mode of C9, which was frequently used with DAP without a proper line out, I noticed that when I connect RU6 to 3.5mm line input of C9, the quality is actually better then using 4.4mm balanced line input of C9. Therefore if someone really want to sue RU6 as line out to external amplifier, I'll recommend you to stay with single-ended connection.

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,293 of 3,683
I suspect this is an issue similar to the one I have been having with the iPhone maximum power output over lightning. I am not 100% sure but I feel like OS uses more power and NOS uses less power. Thus, when I was having clipping issues when playing Tidal Masters using my iPhone, it would always happen more frequently in OS mode than in NOS mode. As an example, when I play a bass heavy track on Tidal (The Weeknd - Starboy) using my iPhone, I could induce clipping in OS mode in High Gain at a volume of 60, but in NOS mode, I could induce clipping in NOS mode at High Gain at a volume of 74.

Try playing with the volume settings, playing with the Gain and maybe you'll find you have a similar issue.

As an aside, Penon Audio informed me that their Lightning - USB C cable is 5V and 200mAh so it shouldn't be the issue. Butttt I splurged and bought the OEAudio OTG cable that many have recommended. Will update the group when it arrives and see if this resolves my clipping problem.

Honestly, it isn't a huge deal as I don't listen to my music that loud and the Meze Liric is quite efficient but it just sorta bugs me that I can't use the full range of the wonderful RU6!

So my OEAUDIO Lightning to USB C OTG cable arrived yesterday! And..... I can confirm that the clipping is definitely an iPhone power draw issue. Sigh. For my testing, I used my iPhone 13 pro, Tidal Masters using Wifi, with the MQA track Florence and the Machine - My Love (Edit).

OEAudio OTG Lightning to USB C Cable
High Gain - OS - Clips at Volume 57
High Gain - NOS - Clips at Volume 61
Low Gain - OS - Clips at Volume 66
Low Gain - NOS - Clips at Volume 72

Penon Audio Lightning to USB C OTG Cable
High Gain - OS - Clips at Volume 56
High Gain - NOS - Clips at Volume 62
Low Gain - OS - Clips at Volume 66
Low Gain - NOS - Clips at Volume 74

The RU6 does not clip at any volume when using USB C output from my Macbook. I would be curious if any Android users have power draw clipping issues using their USB C outputs! Damn you iOS!

Fortunately... The volume required to produce clipping is pretty darn loud and requires some pretty heavy bass thumps so not really a major issue for me.

If anyone is Canada is interested... I have an OEAudio OTG Lightning to USB C cable for sale...

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,294 of 3,683
As an aside, I also have now faced the dreaded EMI issue with my iPhone 13 pro, with both Penon Lightning and the OEAudio OTG cable. It only happens when I turn off wifi and play Tidal Masters using 4G LTE. When I am playing off of wifi, I don't hear any EMI. My internet went down yesterday and decided to play some tracks using LTE and that was the first time I've noticed it.

The RU6 is a wonderful dongle DAC and has gotten me interested in trying out larger R2R for my desktop and main room set up. However, to get such wonderful sound, there are some compromises when it is such a small form factor.

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,295 of 3,683
I have steer users away to use RU6 as DAC to portable amplfiier becuse it doesn't have a line out, and the noise characteristic of R2R DAC is technically not ideal for "pseudo" line out application. However, I did try to connect RU6 to C9 to test how it work out. On top of using the pre-amp input mode of C9, which was frequently used with DAP without a proper line out, I noticed that when I connect RU6 to 3.5mm line input of C9, the quality is actually better then using 4.4mm balanced line input of C9. Therefore if someone really want to sue RU6 as line out to external amplifier, I'll recommend you to stay with single-ended connection.
Exactly what I'm doing currently. 3.5mm out to WA8 which also only takes 3.5mm in. Thankfully still a very black background, so while it isn't a line-out, it is more than useable~ Enjoyable even. A very musical and powerful combo~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back