Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Mar 21, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,266 of 3,686
I found zero difference in audio quality of 3.5 vs 4.4
A/B test, I myself switch the toggle and even through, I heard nothing difference at any means.
So I must unplug a channel of RCA to verify I did not bunco myself
My guess is because RU6 is not technically a true balanced dac. What I mean is that it only duplicated the signal at the last stage (stated by Cayin also there is diagram on 1st page of this thread).

So you probably get more power but otherwise identical source signal?

Other "true balanced" dongle dac split the signal earlier in the steps. My guess is that in order to do "true balanced" they need to double the resistors which make the size limitation impossible?

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,267 of 3,686
My guess is because RU6 is not technically a true balanced dac. What I mean is that it only duplicated the signal at the last stage (stated by Cayin also there is diagram on 1st page of this thread).

So you probably get more power but otherwise identical source signal?

Other "true balanced" dongle dac split the signal earlier in the steps. My guess is that in order to do "true balanced" they need to double the resistors which make the size limitation impossible?

Known fact, and various different people have measured SINAD differences between L/R~ It's not perfect, but it sounds good.

v2-8357d926f9e11bdb73813612dfeaeaf7_r.jpg

In particular NOS mode, even though the majority of us prefer using NOS...

Cayin RU6 - Overlapped OS-NOS Impulse.png

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,268 of 3,686
Mar 21, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #2,269 of 3,686
Going the RU6 fan club here. Everything just sounds a little better coming from this thing: richer, fuller, weightier with better extension on both ends of the audio spectrum compared to the basic Apple dongle.

It does hammer my iPhone's battery, which is totally expected. As a non-scientific experiment, RU6 sucked roughly 20% battery charge in 50 minutes playing downloaded Spotify music on an iPhone 12 mini in airplane mode. So, if you're using my particular phone, you're looking at little over 4 hours of listening.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #2,270 of 3,686
Going the RU6 fan club here. Everything just sounds a little better coming from this thing: richer, fuller, weightier with better extension on both ends of the audio spectrum compared to the basic Apple dongle.

It does hammer my iPhone's battery, which is totally expected. As a non-scientific experiment, RU6 sucked roughly 20% battery charge in 50 minutes playing downloaded Spotify music on an iPhone 12 mini in airplane mode. So, if you're using my particular phone, you're looking at little over 4 hours of listening.
Doesn't the 12 mini only have like 6hours of SOT anyway? That's pretty good! xD

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,271 of 3,686
In the past, we had a discussion about using RU6 connected to a smartphone while charging the phone. One solution was to use usb-c splitter, another one to charge the phone wireless so there is no need for a splitter. But you have to be sure wireless charging pad is horizontal, unlike some wireless charger stands that block usb-c port at the bottom.

Here, I found the ultimate portable wireless solution for use on the go :wink: Anker PowerCore III 10k powerbank with 10W wireless Qi charging. Just bought it, only $50, and it's a perfect for my S22 when on the go with RU6. You can use it with a splitter as well since it is a powerbank, but why bother if your phone supports wireless. Here, it is next to my regular S22. I mean, it is a universal solution for any phone with a wireless charging and any usb-dac dongle.

RU6_anker_wireless_charging-01.jpg

RU6_anker_wireless_charging-02.jpg RU6_anker_wireless_charging-03.jpg

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #2,272 of 3,686
Here, I found the ultimate portable wireless solution for use on the go :wink: Anker PowerCore III 10k powerbank with 10W wireless Qi charging. Just bought it, only $50, and it's a perfect for my S22 when on the go with RU6. You can use it with a splitter as well since it is a powerbank, but why bother if your phone supports wireless. Here, it is next to my regular S22. I mean, it is a universal solution for any phone with a wireless charging and any usb-dac dongle.

I was going to do something similar, but honestly battery-life hasn't been an issue yet. If it was, I'd velcro the RU6 to a MagSafe battery back, which sticks onto the back of the iPhone. Too bulky for everyday, but good for travel.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #2,273 of 3,686
I was going to do something similar, but honestly battery-life hasn't been an issue yet. If it was, I'd velcro the RU6 to a MagSafe battery back, which sticks onto the back of the iPhone. Too bulky for everyday, but good for travel.
Stick the RU6 to the side instead! You're welcome~

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #2,275 of 3,686
Mar 23, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #2,276 of 3,686
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #2,278 of 3,686
Has anyone listened to heavy music on RU6, isn't it too smooth for extreme metal?
It works well with metal. Plenty of punch in the low end (but not elevated) and the R-2R architecture takes a slight edge off of cymbal crashes but it's definitely not too smooth. I don't hear it rounding off notes per se. There's still good note definition and detail retrieval but it presents everything with a slightly analog tonality which sounds more organic and natural compared to some delta sigma DACs. I almost always use NOS which is a bit smoother than OS. IEM dependent though of course. I've had good results with the RU6 paired with VE EXT, 64 Audio Nio and the 7Hz Timeless.

Black, death, tech death, prog, doom, etc. all sound great through the RU6.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,279 of 3,686
How does it compare to DAP such as Ibasso DX160? I was just wondering because I went for the DX160 instead of the Cayin RU6

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2,280 of 3,686
I compare again Ru6 vs AK SP1000 by various include:
-Bal or SE
-Which App and which dac filter
-OS or NOS

I found there's a combination makes me answer wrongly which device is sounding. That is when 2 devices sound identically, happen when AK in SE output + Default player or Neutron + Short delay slow roll-off filter, while Ru6 in Os mode (3.5 or 4.4 doesnt mater).

In 2.5(bal) and using short delay sharp roll off mode, AK wins with more 3D imagine and resolution. If it got 5 point, Ru6 will be 4.5

Luckily I found old version of Uapp is not good on AK from this comparision.
On THAT Uapp version I did not found a case AK sound better than Ru6, just approaching.

Super slow roll off sound worst on AK.
Slow roll off is 2nd worst, for feeding to headamp, but I prefer using it to drives directly a headphone.

Ru6, a really impresive toy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back