Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 7, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #2,476 of 3,685
If there's a drawback to the ru6 it's the significant battery draw and the fact that it doesn't work properly at low volumes... Feeding into my mt604 it still needs significant volume, at least 30+, to sound good, but boy does it sound good

I've found that getting all pure silver for the interconnects helps with the battery life, the lower impedance wire draws less

I don't want to move on that territory. I only have two choices. Either an external amp that regulates the power better even at low volume or a device up to €500 that has the same sound level but also has a lot more power

May 7, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,477 of 3,685
Gryphon has a fair amount of noise (Balanced Out) which can be eliminated using the inbuilt IEMatch setting, toggling it "On" does increase the Output Impedence upto 10 Ohm if I remeber correctly, which effects the frequency response of some IEMs for better or for worse.

It's been a while since I sold my xCAN but I don't remeber it being noisy. The XD-05 Plus has some noise (less than Gryphon), XD-05 BAL has even lesser noise. You can get the IEMatch accessory if you do notice noise with sensitive IEM's.

As an AIO package, Gryphon does a lot of things right, but if you don't need the extra features i.e. purely considering sound quality, it's not worth the cost. To my ears, the micro iDSD Signature was a better product for a modest increase in price over the Gryphon. the XD-05 BAL is a better AIO option IMO because it costs less and sounds just as good as Gryphon with the ability to swap Opamps to tune the overall sound.

To pair with the RU6 and with cost to performence in mind, the xCAN>BAL>Gryphon.

Which cable do I need to connect the Cayin RU6 to the xCan to operate both as Balanced on my mobile phone via USB C

May 7, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2,478 of 3,685
I
If there's a drawback to the ru6 it's the significant battery draw and the fact that it doesn't work properly at low volumes... Feeding into my mt604 it still needs significant volume, at least 30+, to sound good, but boy does it sound good

I've found that getting all pure silver for the interconnects helps with the battery life, the lower impedance wire draws less
I'm not sure that your final statement is correct as an infinitely high impedance (IE: unplugging the interconnects ) would draw zero current. According to Ohm's Law, increasing resistance decreases current. ( E/R=I )
Below is a practical rather than theoretical example:

Silver and Copper Conductivity

Measured in ohms, the difference in the resistance (the amount of electricity lost as a current travels from point A to point B through a material) of 24-gauge, 1000-foot-long silver and copper wire is minor. The resistance of the copper wire is a mere 2 ohms higher.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #2,479 of 3,685
I could get the xCan for 200€. I love the RU6 in combination with my Vision Ears VE8 Custom InEars, but I have the feeling that when the volume is lower, the dynamics and the definition in the sound suffer. With high gain, I get nicer, stronger, more lifelike vocals, but the hissing and hissing noises make it not the most pleasant experience. My hope is that with an external amp there is more power behind the sound even at low volume, so that the sound sounds full even at lower volume and low gain on the RU6. Should I get the xCan for my purpose?
With my gear, I don't have any of the issues you mentioned. I'm using Kinera Norn, CA Mammoth & Meze 99C. Infact, RU6 has lower noise than Gryphon or XD-05 Plus in my testing.

If you just want to eliminate noise and have some headroom, why not give just the IEMatch a try? If power is also an issue then external Amp is worth a try.
Which cable do I need to connect the Cayin RU6 to the xCan to operate both as Balanced on my mobile phone via USB C
For the xCAN you need a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm Aux cable, you can use the Balanced Headphone out on the xCAN even with SE Input so a 4.4mm (RU6) to 2.5mm (xCAN) won't be necessary i think, maybe it will have a bit more power because of higher power output on RU6 with 4.4? need to test that.

Remeber to Max the volume on phone & RU6, volume adjustments should be done on the xCAN.

May 7, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #2,480 of 3,685
I

I'm not sure that your final statement is correct as an infinitely high impedance (IE: unplugging the interconnects ) would draw zero current. According to Ohm's Law, increasing resistance decreases current. ( E/R=I )
Below is a practical rather than theoretical example:

Silver and Copper Conductivity

Measured in ohms, the difference in the resistance (the amount of electricity lost as a current travels from point A to point B through a material) of 24-gauge, 1000-foot-long silver and copper wire is minor. The resistance of the copper wire is a mere 2 ohms higher.
The numbers you are using there are for the theoretical maximum purity metals, and for equal cross sectional areas of wire... Neither are true in this case because the stock cable is much smaller cross sectional area than the gucraftsman silver cable

May 7, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,481 of 3,685
With my gear, I don't have any of the issues you mentioned. I'm using Kinera Norn, CA Mammoth & Meze 99C. Infact, RU6 has lower noise than Gryphon or XD-05 Plus in my testing.

If you just want to eliminate noise and have some headroom, why not give just the IEMatch a try? If power is also an issue then external Amp is worth a try.

For the xCAN you need a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm Aux cable, you can use the Balanced Headphone out on the xCAN even with SE Input so a 4.4mm (RU6) to 2.5mm (xCAN) won't be necessary i think, maybe it will have a bit more power because of higher power output on RU6 with 4.4? need to test that.

Remeber to Max the volume on phone & RU6, volume adjustments should be done on the xCAN.
I use other headphones, of course the experience is always different and not universally applicable and representative. That's why I can only say how it is with the VE8. Do you think the xCan would help? would it bring more volume or power at a lower volume

May 7, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,482 of 3,685
I use other headphones, of course the experience is always different and not universally applicable and representative. That's why I can only say how it is with the VE8. Do you think the xCan would help? would it bring more volume or power at a lower volume
xCAN will drive some IEMs/Headphones with more authority compared to RU6 sure and the onboard DSP is nice to have, the trade off is a small decrease in clarity, probably because of double amping but in this case that can't be avoided.

For my gear (Norn, Diana, Meze, Mammoth...) this is not much of an issue, and I will confidently recommend xCAN to anyone using similar gear, with VE8 🤷‍♂️. If you don't mind the risk, go for the xCAN. If not, hopefully someone else here can chime in.

May 7, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,484 of 3,685
Thank you please send me a link for the cable i need to run it balanced
get a cable like this
Screenshot_20220507-221041.png

google is your friend here, I have no experience with this type of cable.

Just to clarify RU6 does not have a true balanced output and so you won't get better sound using 4.4 out, just more power and even if you use 3.5 input with xCAN, you can use the balanced headphone out of xCAN for more power without any issues.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #2,485 of 3,685
get a cable like this
Screenshot_20220507-221041.png

google is your friend here, I have no experience with this type of cable.

Just to clarify RU6 does not have a true balanced output and so you won't get better sound using 4.4 out, just more power and even if you use 3.5 input with xCAN, you can use the balanced headphone out of xCAN for more power without any issues.

Im just found cables like this no others

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-07-19-42-09-145_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-07-19-42-09-145_com.android.chrome.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,486 of 3,685

It'll need significant volume, at least 30? Do you refer to the volume level of RU6 or the volume of your mobile phone after connecting to RU6?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,487 of 3,685
What smartphone do you use with your ru6 dongle? I've been using my LG V30 for many years, never felt the need to upgrade smartphone often because I only use it to make phone calls, music listening and occasionally check emails. Unfortunately my V30 isn't working properly anymore, and LG discontinued making phones and so I thought about choosing other brand
Can't tell exactly which mobile is the best match, but I'll recommend you to avoid:
  • Apple phones because they strict the power supply to peripherals.
  • Google Pixel 6 can't work with external DAC, Google is working on the bug and expect to provide a solution by June, but we better wait till someone test and confirm that the fix is working fine with popular Dongle and DACs.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,489 of 3,685
It'll need significant volume, at least 30? Do you refer to the volume level of RU6 or the volume of your mobile phone after connecting to RU6?
I was referring to the volume on the ru6, I connect my dx160 to it and the volume control on the dx160 does nothing at all at that point, but that is for feeding into my amp, the mt604, and I believe that volume setting is what's an approximation of a line level out since ru6 doesn't have a set line level out

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back