Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 15, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2,506 of 3,685
Does it worth to upgrade from the RU6 to the Fiio 15 or the Sony WM1A?
You are going to get a more refined sound for sure, improved details, separation, power... but if you are looking for a direct portable upgrade, why not consider getting R2r DAPs like HiBy RS6 or Cayin N6ii (with R01 board). I've heard the M11 and have read that it has a similar sound signature to M15 but less refined. To me it was a few steps ahead of the RU6 in technicalities, power and refinement but not as musical.

May 16, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #2,507 of 3,685
Does it worth to upgrade from the RU6 to the Fiio 15 or the Sony WM1A?
What are you trying to improve? Adding an amp might be a more worthwhile upgrade imo. Unless u want an all in one.

May 16, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2,511 of 3,685
You are going to get a more refined sound for sure, improved details, separation, power... but if you are looking for a direct portable upgrade, why not consider getting R2r DAPs like HiBy RS6 or Cayin N6ii (with R01 board). I've heard the M11 and have read that it has a similar sound signature to M15 but less refined. To me it was a few steps ahead of the RU6 in technicalities, power and refinement but not as musical.

How does compared the sound between the HiBy RS6 or Cayin N6ii (with R01 board)? I would get the RS6 for around 700€ maybe i would give it a try

May 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,512 of 3,685
How does compared the sound between the HiBy RS6 or Cayin N6ii (with R01 board)? I would get the RS6 for around 700€ maybe i would give it a try
There's two major factors in r2r decoders, the total number of resistors and the precision of the matching of the resistors, ru6 is the most budget friendly entry into r2r and while it sounds very nice coming from budget tier delta sigma dacs, it is a clear step down from hiby or the r01, which are fairly close in performance to each other

May 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,513 of 3,685
There's two major factors in r2r decoders, the total number of resistors and the precision of the matching of the resistors, ru6 is the most budget friendly entry into r2r and while it sounds very nice coming from budget tier delta sigma dacs, it is a clear step down from hiby or the r01, which are fairly close in performance to each other
my hope was that the RU6 could keep up with the other DAPs and deliver a similarly good sound due to the hardware savings such as processor, screen, battery etc. then I will get the HiBy RS6 and compare. could you tell me what sound I get compared to the RU6

May 16, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,514 of 3,685
my hope was that the RU6 could keep up with the other DAPs and deliver a similarly good sound due to the hardware savings such as processor, screen, battery etc. then I will get the HiBy RS6 and compare. could you tell me what sound I get compared to the RU6
While I haven't done any proper a/b comparison of the two myself, in general r2r performance, the natural smooth characteristic of the sound is enhanced the higher quality the r2r ladder is

May 16, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #2,515 of 3,685
While I haven't done any proper a/b comparison of the two myself, in general r2r performance, the natural smooth characteristic of the sound is enhanced the higher quality the r2r ladder is
I know it's one of those stupid hi-fi terms, but what's really important to me with audio devices over time is that the background is "black", that there's no noise from the amp or DAC. difficult to explaine.

Im a bit confused the Hiby RS6 which i found:

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/10....0.21ef5c5fmdBj7j&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2deuMsite

Is this a different Player? It has the same Name and the Dealer is Hiby official

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #2,516 of 3,685
I know it's one of those stupid hi-fi terms, but what's really important to me with audio devices over time is that the background is "black", that there's no noise from the amp or DAC. difficult to explaine.

Im a bit confused the Hiby RS6 which i found:

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/10....0.21ef5c5fmdBj7j&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2deuMsite

Is this a different Player? It has the same Name and the Dealer is Hiby official
it's so called "R6 New", not RS6. Everythings on that offer is fine. R6 is based on ess 9038Q2M.

May 16, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,518 of 3,685
SNR from r-2r is usually higher than delta sigma.

May 16, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #2,519 of 3,685
May 16, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #2,520 of 3,685
In such a market where audio players are already a special niche, one does oneself no favors by naming one's products, which vary greatly in specs, almost identical. In addition, "new" is also rather misleading because it automatically suggests something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back