Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
May 5, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #2,461 of 3,678
Can you help me choose an IEMs that work best with the RU6? My budget is $800-$1000. I came across an IEMs ranking list by a head-fi member named crinacle and his most value IEMs pick is the thieaudio monarch mkii, which is within my budget so this is what I lean toward, I just don't know how this IEMs will sound with my RU6

May 5, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #2,462 of 3,678
Can you help me choose an IEMs that work best with the RU6? My budget is $800-$1000. I came across an IEMs ranking list by a head-fi member named crinacle and his most value IEMs pick is the thieaudio monarch mkii, which is within my budget so this is what I lean toward, I just don't know how this IEMs will sound with my RU6
Friend, a brief word on professional reviewers... they're shills, take anything they say very critically and as a rough starting point for your own research at best... consider the type of music you listen to, try to audition a few different kinds like DD, BA, hybrids, planars...any iem will sound much better on the ru6 than from a phone alone

May 5, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #2,463 of 3,678
It's all on you. One will work for someone but it won't work for you. Go in a hifi store and try different earphones or buy online and return them if you don't like them. No one can decide for you what are your music tastes and preferences.

May 5, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,464 of 3,678
I have my own ranking list (in my sig), but you need to provide more info than a budget. You'll need type of music you listen to, your current or current gear you like, etc... otherwise you can be recommended anything from something super-bassy to something super bright and anything in-between. It's a pretty personal thing as you'll see people disagree a lot on what they think is good and bad.

May 5, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,468 of 3,678
by clean I mean sterile. I want an amp that doesn't distort the sound but has a high output power and that can be combined with the RU6

If you order a KAEI TAP-1S, you have the option of getting the desktop power supply, or operating it from the internal rechargeable battery. You also have the option of switching the vacuum tube input section on or off; and using the balanced or single-ended input, and output. The power output into 32-Ω ranges from 1.5-W/ch (battery) to 2.45-W/ch (power supply).

EDIT: There are also 2x socketed dual op-amps that can be swapped - but due to the case design, only devices around the height of a standard DIP will fit, and not the various discrete op-amps. Even the fairly short Burson V5i-Dual is too tall. The amp is available from Linsoul - https://www.linsoul.com/products/wishcolor-kaei-tap-1s?variant=42342154207449

NOTE: The photos I've seen of the amp all show a gain switch on the back, with 0dB & -6dB, but the amp I received has the switch labeled as 10dB & 0dB.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,469 of 3,678
by clean I mean sterile. I want an amp that doesn't distort the sound but has a high output power and that can be combined with the RU6
Got it. The xCAN would be my rec, if you can find it. Other non-sterile alternatives are Gryphon (my setup with RU6) or the XD-05 Plus/BAL with an Opamp swap to suit your tastes, I recommend Burson v5i.

On the higher end, I've read a lot of good things about Cayin C9 and RU6 pairing.

May 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #2,470 of 3,678
Got it. The xCAN would be my rec, if you can find it. Other non-sterile alternatives are Gryphon (my setup with RU6) or the XD-05 Plus/BAL with an Opamp swap to suit your tastes, I recommend Burson v5i.

On the higher end, I've read a lot of good things about Cayin C9 and RU6 pairing.
Thqnk you very much for your choices. Which one is the best for sensitive Custom InEars? Is the Gryphon worth twice the price?

May 6, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,471 of 3,678
Thqnk you very much for your choices. Which one is the best for sensitive Custom InEars? Is the Gryphon worth twice the price?
Gryphon has a fair amount of noise (Balanced Out) which can be eliminated using the inbuilt IEMatch setting, toggling it "On" does increase the Output Impedence upto 10 Ohm if I remeber correctly, which effects the frequency response of some IEMs for better or for worse.

It's been a while since I sold my xCAN but I don't remeber it being noisy. The XD-05 Plus has some noise (less than Gryphon), XD-05 BAL has even lesser noise. You can get the IEMatch accessory if you do notice noise with sensitive IEM's.

As an AIO package, Gryphon does a lot of things right, but if you don't need the extra features i.e. purely considering sound quality, it's not worth the cost. To my ears, the micro iDSD Signature was a better product for a modest increase in price over the Gryphon. the XD-05 BAL is a better AIO option IMO because it costs less and sounds just as good as Gryphon with the ability to swap Opamps to tune the overall sound.

To pair with the RU6 and with cost to performence in mind, the xCAN>BAL>Gryphon.

May 7, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,472 of 3,678
Friend, a brief word on professional reviewers... they're shills, take anything they say very critically and as a rough starting point for your own research at best... consider the type of music you listen to, try to audition a few different kinds like DD, BA, hybrids, planars...any iem will sound much better on the ru6 than from a phone alone
Hi from a "professional reviewer". :wink:

Definitely consider music first, but also, critically, how loud you listen. The demands on amplification rise exponentially with volume.

May 7, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #2,473 of 3,678
Hi from a "professional reviewer". :wink:

Definitely consider music first, but also, critically, how loud you listen. The demands on amplification rise exponentially with volume.
C'mon now aus bro, you know I didn't mean anything by that, everybody wants your to hear your recommendations on the best high power tube amp to pair with the ru6.

May 7, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,474 of 3,678
Gryphon has a fair amount of noise (Balanced Out) which can be eliminated using the inbuilt IEMatch setting, toggling it "On" does increase the Output Impedence upto 10 Ohm if I remeber correctly, which effects the frequency response of some IEMs for better or for worse.

It's been a while since I sold my xCAN but I don't remeber it being noisy. The XD-05 Plus has some noise (less than Gryphon), XD-05 BAL has even lesser noise. You can get the IEMatch accessory if you do notice noise with sensitive IEM's.

As an AIO package, Gryphon does a lot of things right, but if you don't need the extra features i.e. purely considering sound quality, it's not worth the cost. To my ears, the micro iDSD Signature was a better product for a modest increase in price over the Gryphon. the XD-05 BAL is a better AIO option IMO because it costs less and sounds just as good as Gryphon with the ability to swap Opamps to tune the overall sound.

To pair with the RU6 and with cost to performence in mind, the xCAN>BAL>Gryphon.
I could get the xCan for 200€. I love the RU6 in combination with my Vision Ears VE8 Custom InEars, but I have the feeling that when the volume is lower, the dynamics and the definition in the sound suffer. With high gain, I get nicer, stronger, more lifelike vocals, but the hissing and hissing noises make it not the most pleasant experience. My hope is that with an external amp there is more power behind the sound even at low volume, so that the sound sounds full even at lower volume and low gain on the RU6. Should I get the xCan for my purpose?

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #2,475 of 3,678
If there's a drawback to the ru6 it's the significant battery draw and the fact that it doesn't work properly at low volumes... Feeding into my mt604 it still needs significant volume, at least 30+, to sound good, but boy does it sound good

I've found that getting all pure silver for the interconnects helps with the battery life, the lower impedance wire draws less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back