Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 4, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #601 of 3,665
Is it possible to use the RU6's lightning cable to listen to an iPhone through other Cayin devices with USB-C like the N3Pro?

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #602 of 3,665
IMG_20211204_170501.jpg

Great pairing (better than I expected) so far with my Oriolus SE02 as EQ/amp. RU6 is easy to detach for solo use with phone.

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #603 of 3,665
IMG_20211204_170501.jpg

Great pairing (better than I expected) so far with my Oriolus SE02 as EQ/amp. RU6 is easy to detach for solo use with phone.
There's your global EQ everyone!!

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #605 of 3,665
Mine pops sometimes around 50 volume and 20 volume does anyone else's do this? Andy is this normal? What's weird is it doesn't do it everytime changing volume. It's quite a loud pop.
Just increasing above 20 or to 20. But nothing at 50

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #606 of 3,665
Sorry to hear. Any news?

Just out of curiosity: Where are you located / did you buy it?

Musictech, but I found out at high volume sometimes it can pop when switching relays. There's a mute but sometimes it doesn't work. So it's normal. If I change volume slowly I don't get them. Plus I'm at a more normal volume now. And it didn't happen eveytime just occasionally.

It's normal I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #607 of 3,665
Musictech, but I found out at high volume sometimes it can pop when switching relays. There's a mute but sometimes it doesn't work. So it's normal. If I change volume slowly I don't get them. Plus I'm at a more normal volume now. And it didn't happen eveytime just occasionally.

It's normal I guess.

Yeah, volume control here is very different, using resistor array. Interesting read per what has been covered in the updated first post of this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113/

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #608 of 3,665
Very interesting read about the volume design. All kinds of problems trying to do an r2r in a dongle format. To me they did a great job despite the space and power limitations.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #609 of 3,665
If I try and change the volume quickly I start to get pops.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #610 of 3,665
If I try and change the volume quickly I start to get pops.

I think the volume relay mute system can't keep up. It's 10 banks of 10 resistors that have to jump from one to the other. I've been changing the volume slower with better results. Andy was upfront about the pops and the lower measuments of r2r in general.

My pops were pretty loud, but I did have an iem jammed in my ear and the volume at 70 on high gain 😉

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #611 of 3,665
I think the volume relay mute system can't keep up. It's 10 banks of 10 resistors that have to jump from one to the other. I've been changing the volume slower with better results. Andy was upfront about the pops and the lower measuments of r2r in general.

I think this should be solvable in firmware - it's likely the mute time needs to be extended when it detects fast volume changes, and the unmute should be staggered further. All of this should be achievable in code hopefully. Shame it got past QC.

I have super sensitive Andromedas hopefully I won't be deafened by the pops

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #612 of 3,665
I think this should be solvable in firmware - it's likely the mute time needs to be extended when it detects fast volume changes, and the unmute should be staggered further. All of this should be achievable in code hopefully. Shame it got past QC.

I have super sensitive Andromedas hopefully I won't be deafened by the pops

I would think it's fixable, and if not it only happened in 2 places in the volume scale to me, around 20 and 50. And that's when I was going fast. Plus I listen to stuff too loud so most won't be bothered I think.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #614 of 3,665

My pops were pretty loud, but I did have an iem jammed in my ear and the volume at 70 on high gain 😉
If you adjust the volume quickly and jumped two segments of resistor array in one continuous volume adjustment, the system will mute the first switching relay but it won't catch up with secnd switching relay. If this is what you run into, this is a deIgn limitation of resistor array volume control, not a software bug. Theoretically if you pause between every 10 steps, this won't happen. If you change 20 steps at a time, yhis will happen. If you change 12 or 15 or 18 steps at a time, it might or might not happen, depends on where is your initial position in the resistor array segment.

Can you please try this theory in you set up and check if there the loud pop at 20 or 50 still exist ?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #615 of 3,665
If you adjust the volume quickly and jumped two segments of resistor array in one continuous volume adjustment, the system will mute the first switching relay but it won't catch up with secnd switching relay. If this is what you run into, this is a deIgn limitation of resistor array volume control, not a software bug. Theoretically if you pause between every 10 steps, this won't happen. If you change 20 steps at a time, yhis will happen. If you change 12 or 15 or 18 steps at a time, it might or might not happen, depends on where is your initial position in the resistor array segment.

Can you please try this theory in you set up and check if there the loud pop at 20 or 50 still exist ?

Couldn't the system mute all switching relays at once when adjusting the volume? This way it will handle cases when jumping between the relays - I'm guessing this is handled via firmware control.. or it could be made more intelligent - if the volume step starts getting close to the second switching relay, it can mute it few steps before its reached to give it time... I deal with these kind of problems all the time when I'm programming - how to load data before getting to it to ensure smooth scrolling etc etc.

Another solution is: cache the volume steps if they're added quickly and only provide periodic volume samples from the relays once they're synchronised with the cached step so it doesn't get quickly overridden by the next volume step (resulting in a pop). The cache effectively can act as a buffer to ensure correct timing synchronisation with the relays muting. Anyway I'm just throwing ideas out there - with firmware update there should be a more elegant solution - as an engineer I dislike computer says no arguments, where there is a will there's a way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back