Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #616 of 3,679
Couldn't the system mute all switching relays at once when adjusting the volume? This way it will handle cases when jumping between the relays - I'm guessing this is handled via firmware control.. or it could be made more intelligent - if the volume step starts getting close to the second switching relay, it can mute it few steps before its reached to give it time... I deal with these kind of problems all the time when I'm programming - how to load data before getting to it to ensure smooth scrolling etc etc.

Another solution is: cache the volume steps if they're added quickly and only provide periodic volume samples from the relays once they're synchronised with the cached step so it doesn't get quickly overridden by the next volume step (resulting in a pop). The cache effectively can act as a buffer to ensure correct timing synchronisation with the relays muting. Anyway I'm just throwing ideas out there - with firmware update there should be a more elegant solution - as an engineer I dislike computer says no arguments, where there is a will there's a way.
You are assuming there is microprocessor in RU6 to oversee the resistor array. A very logical idea and in fact that's how electronically controlled analogue volume chipset such as PGA2311A is fumctioned. Unfortunately that's a semiconductor level solution, the RU6 implementation is no where near that.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #617 of 3,679
You are assuming there is microprocessor in RU6 to oversee the resistor array. A very logical idea and in fact that's how electronically controlled analogue volume chipset such as PGA2311A is fumctioned. Unfortunately that's a semiconductor level solution, the RU6 implementation is no where near that.

I'm guessing there is some sort of interfacing between pressing the buttons, presenting the volume step on screen, long pressing control for auto scroll, and controlling the resistor array - if the resistor array muting mechanism can't be controlled then perhaps the volume data feed can be staggered before it reaches the resistor array, especially before the jump to the next switching relay to give it enough time.. I'm just throwing ideas I don't know the exact implementation but just that there's some software control (for the screen and speed scrolling) gives me hope - if there's really zero possible chance to fix this via software then that's a shame and it's something that should have been managed in the original design. There's no excuse for loud pops and crackles in 2021 when listening to headphones - r2r or not.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #618 of 3,679
I did a live unboxing at someone's suggestion (Why didn't I think of doing that before?!?). I almost drifted off into the music listening though, so the whole thing is a bit long and drawn out. That being said, while not an R01, so far it is doing nicely with the IEMs and even the Meze Elite I have here. Treble is still a bit edgy, but we'll see how it goes after some more hours of use.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #619 of 3,679
I did a live unboxing at someone's suggestion (Why didn't I think of doing that before?!?). I almost drifted off into the music listening though, so the whole thing is a bit long and drawn out. That being said, while not an R01, so far it is doing nicely with the IEMs and even the Meze Elite I have here. Treble is still a bit edgy, but we'll see how it goes after some more hours of use.

Keep us posted please on how it matures with the burn in. I'm hoping the edgy treble you mentioned will be smoothed out as I'm sensitive there.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #620 of 3,679
I'm guessing there is some sort of interfacing between pressing the buttons, presenting the volume step on screen, long pressing control for auto scroll, and controlling the resistor array - if the resistor array muting mechanism can't be controlled then perhaps the volume data feed can be staggered before it reaches the resistor array, especially before the jump to the next switching relay to give it enough time.. I'm just throwing ideas I don't know the exact implementation but just that there's some software control (for the screen and speed scrolling) gives me hope - if there's really zero possible chance to fix this via software then that's a shame and it's something that should have been managed in the original design. There's no excuse for loud pops and crackles in 2021 when listening to headphones - r2r or not.
This is a design limitation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #621 of 3,679
Another idea I can think off the top of my head is digitally muting the signal on before reaching the 10-20-30 etc volume segments coniciding with the relays, so there's no pop.

I guess if Cayin engineers are adamant there's no possible way to do any tweaks at all on how the volume steps are handled from the input to the relays, then that's that.

If the pops when I adjust the volume through my sensitive Andromeda earphones will endanger my ears I will be returning the RU6. It's not something that was disclosed as design limitation with the official sale of the device

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #622 of 3,679
I got RU6 today.
At the first minutes after unbox, sound pressure level seems slightly goes up down up down few minutes.
(Same as listening music while short notify comes to my smartphone, music volume will down, but actually not any notify coming).
After 2 hours phenomenon's gone.

I don’t get pops when adj volume. It response to a key press within 0.2s.
I think no problem.

Good sounding dac. It drives ibasso SR1 so well.
Feeding to shure 1500 also good.
Worth any penny

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #625 of 3,679
20211205_212057.jpg

I have been trying it with my Oriolus Vaccum Amp and I think the combo goes well. Adds an extra splash of mellow. Nice intimate female vocals.
I've had a big dose of RU6 over the weekend. I'm sold on the upper end layering of the RU6. Sounds all so natural, detailed and never overpowering.
Listened to Phil Collins, Thru These Walls from 3mins onwards many times already lol.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #626 of 3,679
Are there going to be chances on firmware updates like the other dongles ?

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #627 of 3,679
If you adjust the volume quickly and jumped two segments of resistor array in one continuous volume adjustment, the system will mute the first switching relay but it won't catch up with secnd switching relay. If this is what you run into, this is a deIgn limitation of resistor array volume control, not a software bug. Theoretically if you pause between every 10 steps, this won't happen. If you change 20 steps at a time, yhis will happen. If you change 12 or 15 or 18 steps at a time, it might or might not happen, depends on where is your initial position in the resistor array segment.

Can you please try this theory in you set up and check if there the loud pop at 20 or 50 still exist ?

Nope there isn't if I pause a second between sector's. It's just when going fast.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #628 of 3,679

I have been trying it with my Oriolus Vaccum Amp and I think the combo goes well. Adds an extra splash of mellow. Nice intimate female vocals.
I've had a big dose of RU6 over the weekend. I'm sold on the upper end layering of the RU6. Sounds all so natural, detailed and never overpowering.
Listened to Phil Collins, Thru These Walls from 3mins onwards many times already lol.

I bet this thing sounds awesome amplified. I really like the tonality but if you've got a dap with a powerful amp you get that more depth and 3d effect. This is true with any dongle I've tried, makes sense since power output is limited.

Not that it sounds weak by any means the width is excellent, and the tone and speed are great. Good dynamics too.

I hope they make a stand alone dap with r2r that doesn't break the bank. 😀 that would be an instant buy for me. Still burning junior in :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #629 of 3,679
I bet this thing sounds awesome amplified. I really like the tonality but if you've got a dap with a powerful amp you get that more depth and 3d effect. This is true with any dongle I've tried, makes sense since power output is limited.

Not that it sounds weak by any means the width is excellent, and the tone and speed are great. Good dynamics too.

I hope they make a stand alone dap with r2r that doesn't break the bank. 😀 that would be an instant buy for me. Still burning junior in :wink:
The BA300s above is not the amp you want for more power. From memory, I think it only adds 3db of gain.

RU6 and Cayin C9 on the other hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back