Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,187 of 3,685
May be worth trying from other OS ? Is there any OS level setting to limit power draw from USB? just guessing. I have used DietPi and RopieeXL but just for audio HAT and never with DAC

I could try LibreElec on spare Pi. I use Volumio to network offline music and Tidal at home. It's nice to control all the Pis with one app.
Not a huge issue as I have many other dacs that work fine.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,188 of 3,685
Try it with a powered USB hub. The RU6 may be drawing too much power from the Pi.
I think you could be on to something here... Will try this 👍🏻

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,189 of 3,685
camera adaptor ( gen 1 with only usb slot without lightning slot )? So there are multiple Gen of camera adaptor and not all of them are equal? This is new to me, I am a stranger to iOS ecosystem.
Oh really!!!! I didn’t know this!!! My camera adaptor had to be updated when I plugged it in, I will say that! It was purchased from the apple store. For what that’s worth! I have an iPhone and iPad… that’s as deep in the echo system I’m in… I have no need for a laptop or desktop.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,190 of 3,685
1640089946484.png
this is the one that i use, only usb A slot.

1640089989441.png
and the other one is this, have usb A and lighting slot.
I was using the 2nd one… the one with the lightning port so I can charge my phone at the same time. (That was the whole idea of the adaptor) otherwise I would have bought the Cayin adaptor to begin with and say… piss on the apple adaptor.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,191 of 3,685
I went to Apple today and I made progress! I can use the Apple adaptor. USB-A with the lightning charger. It HAS TO BE the Apple branded charger. I was using a Belkin charger and it wouldn’t work, but I used an APPLE charger… and it works! Volume up to 60-65… I’m pretty sure OS and NOS!!! So this is progress! Maybe I got a bad adaptor last time? Maybe it was the Belkin charger. I’m still awaiting the Cayin cord, as I’ll use it for backup! I’ll play with this a bit and let y’all know what I find out!!! 😁😁😁😁

This is with the 4.4mm balanced cable. 😊

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,192 of 3,685
Got this in today and have been listening to it for a bit. This was literally an impulse buy when I saw there was an R2R dongle that was also compatible with the iPhone. So far I'm impressed. Overall better quality than straight out of the phone. Even when playing rhythm games, there's no noticeable lag and the music sounds great!

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,193 of 3,685
Got this in today and have been listening to it for a bit. This was literally an impulse buy when I saw there was an R2R dongle that was also compatible with the iPhone. So far I'm impressed. Overall better quality than straight out of the phone. Even when playing rhythm games, there's no noticeable lag and the music sounds great!
What is your setup exactly? 😊 I think I have nine as good as I can get it.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,194 of 3,685
What is your setup exactly? 😊 I think I have nine as good as I can get it.
Nothing special. Just phone, dongle, then earbuds/IEMs. It's more of a casual set up. Details in my signature.

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,195 of 3,685
Here’s what I found out. This will be my last post on this, as I’m satisfied…

iPhone 12 Pro max… APPLE camera adaptor …. USB A on the left and lightning charge cable on the right, yes, I repurchased it today. 😊

Using factory Apple lightning to USBC cable… to an apple charger…

USBA to all Cayin products. USBA - USBC adaptor that comes with the RU6, the USBc to USBc that comes with the RU6

The RU6, obviously…

Balanced cable to JH Layla IEMs 20 ohm

Here goes…

Gain L

NOS and OS

Volume limit 65 (I didn’t go any louder, as this is more than enough for me) — no cut out

Gain H

NOS and OS

Volume limit 55 (again I didn’t go any louder… I don’t wanna damage anything) - no cut out

I hope this helps someone here!

I should receive my Cayin lightning to USBc tomorrow and I’ll use that for if I’m out and about. It’ll make a nice back up, if nothing else. 😊

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,196 of 3,685
Here’s what I found out. This will be my last post on this, as I’m satisfied…

iPhone 12 Pro max… APPLE camera adaptor …. USB A on the left and lightning charge cable on the right, yes, I repurchased it today. 😊

Using factory Apple lightning to USBC cable… to an apple charger…

USBA to all Cayin products. USBA - USBC adaptor that comes with the RU6, the USBc to USBc that comes with the RU6

The RU6, obviously…

Balanced cable to JH Layla IEMs 20 ohm

Here goes…

Gain L

NOS and OS

Volume limit 65 (I didn’t go any louder, as this is more than enough for me) — no cut out

Gain H

NOS and OS

Volume limit 55 (again I didn’t go any louder… I don’t wanna damage anything) - no cut out

I hope this helps someone here!

I should receive my Cayin lightning to USBc tomorrow and I’ll use that for if I’m out and about. It’ll make a nice back up, if nothing else. 😊
Good to know that it is finally working out for you. I have no experience with JH Layla but does it need this much juice? May be you are listening outdoors? I’m low level listener and max I have gone on volume is 30 and even that got louder for me personally

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,197 of 3,685
If you want to charge your phone when using RU6, why not wireless power bank?

1640240650751.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,198 of 3,685
If you want to charge your phone when using RU6, why not wireless power bank?

1640240650751.png
For me, two major reasons:
1. Wireless charging is less efficient than wired and generates more heat, which is in the long term detrimental to the phone battery.
2. Not every device I want to use the RU6 with also supports wireless charging.

There is definitely convenience with wireless charging but wired is better for the long term health of the phone.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,199 of 3,685
1. Wireless charging is less efficient than wired and generates more heat, which is in the long term detrimental to the phone battery.

There is definitely convenience with wireless charging but wired is better for the long term health of the phone.
May be we can use it when we are listening to RU6 and phone is low on battery and avoid wireless charging when using phone standalone. I mean we have to balance between wireless and wired. However I was not aware of detrimental affect of wireless charging now that Apple is whole heartedly supporting it but thanks for info.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,200 of 3,685

I thought charging when listening to RU6 only happens occasionally?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back