Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #421 of 3,679
I think it is very sexy without the case 😄
20211201_075848.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #424 of 3,679
Strangely I found that using the lightning-USB-C cable that came with my Violectric Chronos I was getting the lights showing up on the RU6, but no sound. Then, trying the Cayin cable, everything works. No idea why. Just a heads up in case others find they're not getting audio out of an iPhone.

Some cables are directional. Maybe switch ends?

How's it sound :) 😀 😃 🙂 🙃

Oh iphone, ignore me lol. I was thinking you had a C to C cable.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #428 of 3,679
Probably as sweet as fine demerara 😀
I think it's a bit too early for me to give a reliable impression of the sound :wink: that's also why I was asking about burn in - I wonder how much it will change (if at all); I wouldn't want to mislead people on first impressions only to realize in two days it's altering.

I used to have N6ii/R01. It's a pity I don't have it here for side-by-side comparison. It was in many ways the most impressive sounding DAP I've heard. But I sold it largely because it felt like the music flowed so smoothly out of the R01 that it felt a little tooo relaxed/unhurried, and since I mainly listen to metal that presented something of a dilemma :) But I'm not getting that feeling with the RU6 so far. The resolution is probably bit lower on the RU6 though, based on memory only of the R01 sound - but I wouldn't expect a dongle to sound quite the same.

So all I can really say so far is it sounds good :wink: One thing that really stood out to me with the R01 and now I find the same with RU6 (I wonder if it's the same with all R2Rs) is that different albums have more of their own flavour. It's as if a delta-sigma DAC, or even FPGA like Mojo, has more a normalizing effect where different music is all herded into a similar sound. With the R01 and RU6 the differences between albums in tonality/mixing/instrument timbre are more noticeable than I'm used to hearing with other gear. Which can be good or bad, depending on how well an album is mixed!

The RU6 definitely drains my phone battery faster than the Violectric Chronos, and is a little warm to the touch after use, but certainly not as toasty as Mojo levels. Also, for reference, I'm only using the 3.5mm out as I don't have any balanced cables/headphones.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #429 of 3,679
I think it's a bit too early for me to give a reliable impression of the sound :wink: that's also why I was asking about burn in - I wonder how much it will change (if at all); I wouldn't want to mislead people on first impressions only to realize in two days it's altering.

I used to have N6ii/R01. It's a pity I don't have it here for side-by-side comparison. It was in many ways the most impressive sounding DAP I've heard. But I sold it largely because it felt like the music flowed so smoothly out of the R01 that it felt a little tooo relaxed/unhurried, and since I mainly listen to metal that presented something of a dilemma :) But I'm not getting that feeling with the RU6 so far. The resolution is probably bit lower on the RU6 though, based on memory only of the R01 sound - but I wouldn't expect a dongle to sound quite the same.

So all I can really say so far is it sounds good :wink: One thing that really stood out to me with the R01 and now I find the same with RU6 (I wonder if it's the same with all R2Rs) is that different albums have more of their own flavour. It's as if a delta-sigma DAC, or even FPGA like Mojo, has more a normalizing effect where different music is all herded into a similar sound. With the R01 and RU6 the differences between albums in tonality/mixing/instrument timbre are more noticeable than I'm used to hearing with other gear. Which can be good or bad, depending on how well an album is mixed!

The RU6 definitely drains my phone battery faster than the Violectric Chronos, and is a little warm to the touch after use, but certainly not as toasty as Mojo levels. Also, for reference, I'm only using the 3.5mm out as I don't have any balanced cables/headphones.

It's cool you're not finding it too smooth. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to enjoy this dongle. Thanks for your firsr impressions.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #430 of 3,679
Please,
some impression on the sound ...
Is it sweet and analog, or what?
Thanks
I will give detail later.
First impression: (NOS)Dynamic is good, the macro dynamic is clear and impact(This is what impressed me). The structure and layer are quite clear. Voice is clean and organic. The top-end lacks airy and extension. I use stock C to C cable with MacBook pro 2019 16"

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #431 of 3,679
Quick question to @Andykong, please: I see there is an RU6 driver for Windows on the Cayin official website, on the RU6 product page under ”Downloads (1)“. Is that a special driver, or is it the same as the one for the N6ii? In other words, if one has both the N6ii and the RU6, do I need two drivers on my PC or just one? Thanks.

EDIT: I do see the two driver downloads to have different sizes.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #432 of 3,679
Quick question to @Andykong, please: I see there is an RU6 driver for Windows on the Cayin official website, on the RU6 product page under ”Downloads (1)“. Is that a special driver, or is it the same as the one for the N6ii? In other words, if one has both the N6ii and the RU6, do I need two drivers on my PC or just one? Thanks.

EDIT: I do see the two driver downloads to have different sizes.
They are different USB Audio drivers, you need both drivers on your PC if you have both N6ii and RU6.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #434 of 3,679
Comparisons between W2 and RU6 please.

I hope we can make a comparison with the S2, and understand which of the two reproduces a more analog and less digital sound.

I did some initial impressions with a brief comparison to W2 and S2 last week here in case if you missed my post.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #435 of 3,679
I will give detail later.
First impression: (NOS)Dynamic is good, the macro dynamic is clear and impact(This is what impressed me). The structure and layer are quite clear. Voice is clean and organic. The top-end lacks airy and extension. I use stock C to C cable with MacBook pro 2019 16"

Just curious, when you say it lacks treble air/extension, relative to what other usb-dac dongle and using which IEMs? Also, what is the source used to drive RU6 and do you have your source set to max volume? And, how much burn in does RU6 demo you tried in the store has? Discrete R-2R needs at least 100hrs before sound is finalized and you do need to set your source to max digital volume for the optimal performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back