Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #301 of 3,665
This is where my po-lo switch idea would come in handy.
I haven't checked if it's the case with the RU6, but with the R01 module for the N6ii, a line out option was not possible due to the higher noise floor of the design. I imagine it would be similar for the RU6. All the same, using the built-in volume rather than the volume control on the amp might be perfectly viable. We'll see how it turns out after one arrives.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #302 of 3,665
I haven't checked if it's the case with the RU6, but with the R01 module for the N6ii, a line out option was not possible due to the higher noise floor of the design. I imagine it would be similar for the RU6. All the same, using the built-in volume rather than the volume control on the amp might be perfectly viable. We'll see how it turns out after one arrives.

I guess so. Just don't forget to turn the volume down after disconnecting the amp. But I'm sure you know what you're doing. I sometimes forget and end up blasting my ears when I do.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #303 of 3,665
To be frank, the published spec, at least on face value, isn't great. It is passable. But given it is a discreted R-2R implementation, it is understandable.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #304 of 3,665
Any place in the EU where I can preorder @Andykong? After all, since I am waiting for my N6ii to return from Cayin, I am now suffering from serious R-2R withdrawal symptoms.... 😇😎
So far only our Germany dealer has pre-ordered RU6 before our product announcement, but they don't do pre-order to the best of my knowledge, you can contact them for expected availability date.

Let's hope more EU dealer will place order after we announced the product detail and specification.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #305 of 3,665
W2 can do 230 mw in 32 ohm, but what's impresive here the 138 mW single ended, where all the dongles can do only 125 mW.

To be honest, the 10mW advantage didn't mean anything significant, 10% different refer to a small advantage if the figures were obtained under the same measurement system. When the power output were obtained from two different systems, maybe under different THD requirements, you should take the 10% power output advantage of RU6 with a grain of salt.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #306 of 3,665
The only thing I hope not to see is folks trying to power (a.k.a driving them to full potential) high impedance or low sensitivity headphones with these dongles. For the first case, we are needing lot of voltage and for the second case, we require voltage as well quite significant amount of current (planar magnetics - I am looking at you).

Dongles are built purposefully for powering IEMs and anything more they can drive is "PLUS" in my books.

Exactly. When the power supply to Dongle DAC are limited at around 100mA from mobile phones, this kind of "hope" is unrealistic.

Maybe they can convince Apple to give up their protection practise and allow a dongle to drain 500mA from the iPhone, then we can see something muscular down the road.

1637814204224.png

Last edited:

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #307 of 3,665
Hi Andy, glad to read about this new dongle.

Coming from an experience with the Hifiman R2R2000, I am more than interested. :)

Any plan in a "tour" or chances to test/review/demo and enjoy this little thing here in EU?

Cheers.

Yes, there will a tour in near future. When we ramped up our production capability and when RU6 is widely available to all our dealers, I'll start a RU6 tour.

But let me put this upfront. The cost and reliability of logistic is causing a lot of unhappy experience in product tour. Several carrier has suspended International Economy due to COVID, making it very costly to send the tour package to a different country. There are a lot of disputes and discontent during the tour because of that, so I probably will limited my product tour to Norther America and EU until the logistic system resumed to pre-COVID condition.

Last edited:

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #308 of 3,665
When the power supply to Dongle DAC are limited at around 100mA from mobile phones, your "hope" is unrealistic.

Maybe you can convince Apple to give up their protection practise and allow a dongle to drain 500mA from the iPhone, then we can see something muscular down the road.

1637814204224.png
I think you have got my comment wrong.

I was mentioning that people expecting the dongle to power difficult to drive headphones is unrealistic.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #309 of 3,665
I think you have got my comment wrong.

I was mentioning that people expecting the dongle to power difficult to drive headphones is unrealistic.

Sorry, I misunderstand your statement. My fault indeed, and I have corrected my respond immediately. :beerchug:

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #310 of 3,665
I'm still in the old school camp with a 2.5mm. I need a 4.4mm adapter onto RU6... it's gonna be a long train

Something like this? Yes, it is kind of inconvenient to move around when you add the 4.4 to 2.5 adapter.

11628945.jpg

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #311 of 3,665
Sorry, I misunderstand your statement. My fault indeed, and I have corrected my respond immediately. :beerchug:
Not to muddy this thread with the following question.

I am just curious - given Cayin's foray (entry) into R-2R systems with N6ii-R01 and RU6 , would there be considerations for desktop R-2R DACs in the future if there is significant consumer interest in this area ? I know Cayin iDAC-6 used ESS DACs, so just wondering. I do understand the chip supply chain crisis has hurt the industry overall.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #312 of 3,665
I absolutely must listen to this device! :)

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #313 of 3,665
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #314 of 3,665
To be frank, the published spec, at least on face value, isn't great. It is passable. But given it is a discreted R-2R implementation, it is understandable.

To be honest, there is a good reason why I mentioned as my concluding statement in RU6 announcement.

If you look at what Cayin did in past few years, we put vacuum tubes into DAP, spend more effort on Single-end phone out than balanced phone out, "small power" discrete Class A in compact Audio Motherboard, and develop discrete R-2R technologies for portable applications, .... none of this options put specification as our priority consideration.

1637820099179.png

Last edited:

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #315 of 3,665

Definitely worthy trying out. :beerchug:

If you tried connecting R01 to C9, you get the picture already. In my experience, use pre-amp input mode of C9 and control the volume through R01 works better then setting the R01 volume to a fixed position and use it as line out to C9. RU6 is inferior to R01 on this regard, the SNR and THD+D explained part of the story, and mobile phone is inferior to N6ii main unit as digital audio source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back