Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 27, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #796 of 5,543
Technicalities are better than the original. Less roll-off in both ends. Wider stage that opens EE Odin up. Details improved for sure. Still a fun sounding one with a little of the warmth left. I spent all my time with iems and tubes on, so I'm not sure about the solid state and power improvement.

I think some people may still prefer the more tube flavor in n8, but mk2 is capable for more genres. C9 on the other hand sounds more like linear OTL. Overall N8ii reminds me of wa8.
Thank you. So did you hear any upper mids and treble sharpness or glare with Odin?

Would you say the MKII is better overall?

Any other DAPs (from memory) you could compare with?

Thanks a lot for your impressions!!!🙏☺️

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #797 of 5,543
Thank you. So did you hear any upper mids and treble sharpness or glare with Odin?

Would you say the MKII is better overall?

Any other DAPs (from memory) you could compare with?

Thanks a lot for your impressions!!!🙏☺️
Well, I haven't had any sharpness issue from Odin. Or I should say I'm a big fan of tia trio. That can probably speak to my tolerance.

Yes, n8ii is better overall, if I take a weighted average across things. Again these are just my weights and being able to stream is important for me.

I had my L&P P6Pro with me by that time. I cannot tell which one is absolutely better. For example, I prefer to pair Odin with n8ii and legend evo with P6Pro.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #798 of 5,543
Well, I haven't had any sharpness issue from Odin. Or I should say I'm a big fan of tia trio. That can probably speak to my tolerance.

Yes, n8ii is better overall, if I take a weighted average across things. Again these are just my weights and being able to stream is important for me.

I had my L&P P6Pro with me by that time. I cannot tell which one is absolutely better. For example, I prefer to pair Odin with n8ii and legend evo with P6Pro.
You just answered one more question: The comparison to LP6 Pro. From what I read, you find both devices on the overall same quality level with differences in tonality (naturally), is that right? Again: Thanks so much!

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #799 of 5,543
Interesting. What kind of music is that based on? Are they, ie P6Pro and N8ii, along the same flavor or different — tonality, timbre wise, etc. What about the LP6, how would you rate that against the N8ii? So many questions… but thanks. Really.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #800 of 5,543
You just answered one more question: The comparison to LP6 Pro. From what I read, you find both devices on the overall same quality level with differences in tonality (naturally), is that right? Again: Thanks so much!
I’ve heard quite polarizing opinions of the LP DAPs. To some, they’re the best thing since sliced bread and others, well, have said the much lauded LP6 Ti is like the 300 Max SS, except half a notch lower. But they’re so rare that it’s near impossible to find demo units to listen to.

With the LP7 looming, I’m in a bind to jump on the N8ii now or wait for the LP7…

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #801 of 5,543
I’ve heard quite polarizing opinions of the LP DAPs. To some, they’re the best thing since sliced bread and others, well, have said the much lauded LP6 Ti is like the 300 Max SS, except half a notch lower. But they’re so rare that it’s near impossible to find demo units to listen to.
True. It took me quite a while to get them for my shop. I have a demo of LP6 Pro and find it to be the best DAP I have heard personally so far. Again: My personal opinion.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #803 of 5,543
My P6Pro is the original version (vs. a later silver version with more mid and bass). The p6pro is a bit more transparent so I pair it with the "boomy" evo to make sure it doesn't get muddy. N8ii sounds wider for Odin than P6Pro to me. P6Pro (again early version) focuses on precison more than coloration.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #806 of 5,543
My P6Pro is the original version (vs. a later silver version with more mid and bass). The p6pro is a bit more transparent so I pair it with the "boomy" evo to make sure it doesn't get muddy. N8ii sounds wider for Odin than P6Pro to me. P6Pro (again early version) focuses on precison more than coloration.
Hmm. I thought the later Gray Obsidian model was more analytical, ie leaner, more neutral and better for vocals. But I certainly can appreciate how 'wider' sounds better for the more forward Odin.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #807 of 5,543
I just heard the EVO with LPGT-Ti for the first time and found it to be the best match for EVO so far. Tighter bass, better mid- and treble extension and silky smooth overall. I hope the N8ii will do the same.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #808 of 5,543
I'm hoping the N8ii to offer the best of LP6 Pro (warmth, emotion and verve) and LPGT-Ti (details, stage and air).
I wish there is such a DAP, too. I doubt about that possibility though. I even think sometimes details are against emotion, cause they can be overwhelmingly distracting.

Someone who tried the SS part of n8ii can probably tell whether it's achievable with all the different modes in n8ii.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #810 of 5,543
I wish there is such a DAP, too. I doubt about that possibility though. I even think sometimes details are against emotion, cause they can be overwhelmingly distracting.

Someone who tried the SS part of n8ii can probably tell whether it's achievable with all the different modes in n8ii.
Yeah. Well, good thing is there are different settings to adapt to different needs, so the N8ii should be rather versatile in terms of sound and synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back