Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #826 of 5,547
It was, back in 2018. HiBy has released iphone version of HiByLink years ago. Android version still works better, iphone version is slighlty slower at time, but if all he need is to control volume only, then both Android and iphone version of HiByLink should works fine.
Just tried it on the RS6 and like you said its a bit slower on the iPhone. Is there a release date set for Hong Kong?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #828 of 5,547
I have the official review unit on burn in with me now, and doing a little more comparison. N8ii with Tubes (Class AB) sounds very close to P6 Pro, kind of between SP2000 SS and P6 Pro, more toward P6 Pro smoother natural tonality. N8ii with Solid State (Class AB) sounds somewhere between DX300 MAX SS and SP2000SS, not as bright as 3MAX SS. And, as I mentioned before, just analyzing LO by itself with a transparent external amp, ROHM sound reminds me a lot of AK4499.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #829 of 5,547
I have the official review unit on burn in with me now, and doing a little more comparison. N8ii with Tubes (Class AB) sounds very close to P6 Pro, kind of between SP2000 SS and P6 Pro, more toward P6 Pro smoother natural tonality. N8ii with Solid State (Class AB) sounds somewhere between DX300 MAX SS and SP2000SS, not as bright as 3MAX SS. And, as I mentioned before, just analyzing LO by itself with a transparent external amp, ROHM sound reminds me a lot of AK4499.
That's very useful info. thanks! Any impressions against the LP6 or LP6 Ti?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #830 of 5,547
This is useful, thanks. In terms of SS timbre, how would it compare to R01?

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #831 of 5,547
This is useful, thanks. In terms of SS timbre, how would it compare to R01?

Don't have LP6 for comparison.

Regarding N8ii SS vs N6ii w/R01 - R01 tonality is brighter.

Also, just to be clear, my brief comments above were related to timbre/tonality because I have been asked about it by many people, not the overall technical performance or general comparison of one dap vs the other. Other details will be covered in my full review.

Furthermore, as a consumer you judge which DAP is better because you are trying to narrow it down to what fits your overall needs the best before making the final purchase. As a reviewer, I would like to share how each product sounds, functions, and compares. Then, you guys make the final decision which one is the best for you :wink:

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #832 of 5,547
Don't have LP6 for comparison.

Regarding N8ii SS vs N6ii w/R01 - R01 tonality is brighter.

Also, just to be clear, my brief comments above were related to timbre/tonality because I have been asked about it by many people, not the overall technical performance or general comparison of one dap vs the other. Other details will be covered in my full review.

Furthermore, as a consumer you judge which DAP is better because you are trying to narrow it down to what fits your overall needs the best before making the final purchase. As a reviewer, I would like to share how each product sounds, functions, and compares. Then, you guys make the final decision which one is the best for you :wink:
Thanks, have you listened to the N8ii with your EVO yet? Just curious your thoughts on the combo.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #833 of 5,547
Try this , made to hit very low

Violin of course does not extend to low frequencies, but I am sure you get the idea and can extend the imagination to Double Basses or Bass Viols made by different Luthiers like Amati or Bergonzi. Every Instrument has fundamental frequencies and harmonics above and below the fundamental, the relative strengths of the harmonics define the character of the instrument and makes it different from another maker's even from the same maker's other output.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #834 of 5,547
Violin of course does not extend to low frequencies, but I am sure you get the idea and can extend the imagination to Double Basses or Bass Viols made by different Luthiers like Amati or Bergonzi. Every Instrument has fundamental frequencies and harmonics above and below the fundamental, the relative strengths of the harmonics define the character of the instrument and makes it different from another maker's even from the same maker's other output.
That is a real world scenarios! Not reproduced music

They are very different scenarios. Especially digital vs A-A-A (Analog recorded - Analog reproduced - Analog output)

Only AAA vinyl systems that is carefully catered to carry out such, can reproduce those ultra sonic and sub harmonic

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #835 of 5,547
Has anyone direclty compared the N8ii to the SP2000? If you don't consider the Tube Amp mode, but pure op amp...how do they stack up? How are the ROHMs to the AKMs? I love my SP2000 but wondering how the resolution and sound compares here. Thank you everyone!!

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #836 of 5,547
Has anyone direclty compared the N8ii to the SP2000? If you don't consider the Tube Amp mode, but pure op amp...how do they stack up? How are the ROHMs to the AKMs? I love my SP2000 but wondering how the resolution and sound compares here. Thank you everyone!!
I think @twister6 just mentioned those points at post 828 above. Seems like the ROHM is sounding like an AKM4499 to his ear. I am surprised as I fully expecting people to be comparing it to an ESS chip, but I guess so much depends on implementation that a DAC chip need not have a specific sound in every setting.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #837 of 5,547
I think @twister6 just mentioned those points at post 828 above. Seems like the ROHM is sounding like an AKM4499 to his ear. I am surprised as I fully expecting people to be comparing it to an ESS chip, but I guess so much depends on implementation that a DAC chip need not have a specific sound in every setting.
I am excited to hear what N8ii can bring !!! The power that is draining away 10kMAh battery in 10 hours is pretty crazy!! And that is a good indicators

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #838 of 5,547
Based on specs can anyone offer opinions on how well the N8ii will drive full sized headphones compared with the DX300 Max ti. Will one or the other likely be better at driving cans with moderate power needs? I realize both will do fine with the Utopia and neither will do well with the Susvara. I'm just trying to get an idea of how the N8ii will stack up on the power side of things versus the DX300 Max ti.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #839 of 5,547
I have the same request as @kwilkins , and would love to get some ideas of full sized open and closed back cans that may be good synergistic options to go with the N8ii. Fully realize that the N8ii isn't even out in the wild yet, so a bit premature, just looking to get some likely candidates to audition perhaps at CanJam Chicago, with my own N8ii in hand. I didn't have a 4.4mm adapter with me this weekend to test the N8ii with my ZMF VO's, so unforced error on my part, lol.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #840 of 5,547
Based on specs can anyone offer opinions on how well the N8ii will drive full sized headphones compared with the DX300 Max ti. Will one or the other likely be better at driving cans with moderate power needs? I realize both will do fine with the Utopia and neither will do well with the Susvara. I'm just trying to get an idea of how the N8ii will stack up on the power side of things versus the DX300 Max ti.

From the specs the N8ii is way more underpowered than DX300 Max. It’s even slightly lower than my Shanling M8.
But based on that, it should be able to drive Sennheiser HD series and ZMF headphones with some room to spare. But whether they can drive them as well as DX300 Max is another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back