Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 7, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,081 of 5,543
I don't have N8, but I do own N6ii Ti with R01/E02 and I just bought an A02. I can't wait to hear N6ii Ti with A02 + C9. I really like the N6ii Ti and find it complementary to N8ii. I didn't like it too much with the E02 because I found it sounded too much like my DX300. Since I love RS6 + C9, I expect to love N6ii/A02 + C9. I love my RS6, but N6ii Ti R01 sounds better. The difference is that N6ii is a bit warmer and IEMs like EVO and Odin sound a little less harsh in the upper mids. But EXT and Traillii are glorious with N8ii. I see no reason to sell C9 or N6ii. Together they complement N8ii and provide better synergy with different IEMs.

edited to note: I did A/B test RS6 + C9 to N8ii and I found N8ii to be better. I also A/B tested N8ii vs N8ii + C9 and in this scenario, C9 did not add much value. Only a slightly warmer tonality. Maybe 1-2% difference.
rs6 still sound harsh after firmware update?

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #1,082 of 5,543
Just spotted this from a Chinese local Hifi shop.

The wallpaper of the N8ii demo machine there says: Please do NOT demo it until you have warmed up the machine for 30 minutes.

I guess whoever is about to receive/try it should follow this advice.

A0A7A398-EFE9-40D1-971F-166161619002.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #1,083 of 5,543
I thought that with my n8 tbh, I'd usually give it a good 20 minutes play before listening. :L3000:

Don't know if it was placebo being class A but could swear it sounded better once warm.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #1,084 of 5,543
Just spotted this form a Chinese local Hifi shop.

The wallpaper of the N8ii demo machine there says: Please do NOT demo it until you have warmed up the machine for 30 minutes.

A0A7A398-EFE9-40D1-971F-166161619002.jpeg
I don’t think this can be taken seriously. A customer can not be expected to wait for 30 min for a DAP to warm up. This would defeat the use case of a convenient portable device.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #1,085 of 5,543
I don’t think this can be taken seriously. A customer can not be expected to wait for 30 min for a DAP to warm up. This would defeat the use case of a convenient portable device.
I guess this works for the shop…they can just have it always on.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #1,087 of 5,543
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,088 of 5,543
Agreed !! LOL
Nah, the Chinese review basically says he dislikes how N8ii sounds unless he warms it up for 30 min. He also suggests a very extensive machine burn-in.

https://weibo.com/ttarticle/x/m/show/id/2309404744723117245039?_wb_client_=1

Edit: He then suggested it to the owner of the local Hifi shop, who subsequently added this warm up thing to the demo machine…

So, just plan everything ahead by 30
Minutes each time you want to listen !! Take it as a “foreplay”!

On a serious note, equipments warm up is a thing for some. The effects will varies depends on the designs of the systems. I can say that the C9 does better in class A/B and tubes after 30 minutes. But it isn’t to the severe effects to advise the customer to “Do not Listen until after 30 minutes warm up”!!

However, desktop Tubes amplifiers that is Non Negative Feedbacks and with Input and Output Transformers do have a serve effects without warming up at least 20 minutes before listening. Some of the R2R will also be under this case, and there are scientific explanations for them all

I have yet to witness anything about a portable DAP and it severity that way. The most severe from anything that is portable is Class A, and when it is ICE-COLD by the weather like just freshly dropped off by the mailman to your door in a 0 temperature degree. Then you take it for a spin….yeah…horrible mistakes. I have witnessed that. Otherwise, normal use cases, I haven’t observed it that noticeably

One thing I am sure, if I do witness it that bad, and or I have to prepare in advance by 30 minutes each time on the N8ii, I would not be keeping it, seriously….because these 30 minutes is cumulative…..and the player is based on Lithium battery packs that are non user replacement friendly

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #1,089 of 5,543
All this talk about N8ii is warming me up quite a bit :grin:

I am quite eager to get shipment notification from Andrew!

I must say I'd be quite pleased to have the opportunity to compare N8ii and M9 before I ship it to @JSBachFan, can't keep them all so M9 goes but it's a fantastic DAP in its own right...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #1,090 of 5,543
Nah, the Chinese review basically says he dislikes how N8ii sounds unless he warms it up for 30 min. He also suggests a very extensive machine burn-in.

https://weibo.com/ttarticle/x/m/show/id/2309404744723117245039?_wb_client_=1

Edit: He then suggested it to the owner of the local Hifi shop, who subsequently added this warm up thing to the demo machine…

He is a dear old friend of Cayin user group, always one of the first batch reviewers to publish review on Cayin portable products. That is his writing style, try to be humour, making lots of jokes and adding dramatic effect in his writing, unfortunately the jokes was lost in translation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 8, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #1,091 of 5,543
Just spotted this from a Chinese local Hifi shop.

That is equivalent to an Internet meme, our usual response is "if you ar serious with this, you lost the game already". :wink:

I am not saying warming up is non-existing, I frequently feel the second song (~5 mins.) is more invoving than the first song with my N8ii. I am not sure if the DAP was warming up or I was warming up (i.e., gradually putting everything behind and able to focus on the music). Do I care the player sound better at 30 minutes when compare to 25 minutes? I don't, so I can't falsify the the joke either, but 30 minutes warm up time is about "right" when I was using Class A amplifier on speaker system, probably where the meme comes from.

Last edited:

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #1,092 of 5,543

I must say I'd be quite pleased to have the opportunity to compare N8ii and M9 before I ship it to @JSBachFan, can't keep them all so M9 goes but it's a fantastic DAP in its own right...

That was exactly the point, to introduce talking point and warm up the market. :beerchug:

If it takes 4 days for the package to arrive from Zhuhai to Hong Kong, I think we better expect 10-14 days delivery from Cayin to MusicTeck, you better find something to keep yourself busy in next few days.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,093 of 5,543
That was exactly the point, to introduce talking point and warm up the market. :beerchug:

If it takes 4 days for the package to arrive from Zhuhai to Hong Kong, I think we better expect 10-14 days delivery from Cayin to MusicTeck, you better find something to keep yourself busy in next few days.
I don't complain, I have quite a bit of gear to keep me busy and work, kids and buying a new appartment while selling the current one takes a bit of time as well :p

The wait is part of the fun too, like knowing you're taking off for vacations, just instead of reading tour guide I am reading this thread :D

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #1,094 of 5,543
That is equivalent to an Internet meme, our usual response is "if you ar serious with this, you lost the game already". :wink:

I am not saying warming up is non-existing, I frequently feel the second song (~5 mins.) is more invoving than the first song with my N8ii. I am not sure if the DAP was warming up or I was warming up (i.e., gradually putting everything behind and able to focus on the music). Do I care the player sound better at 30 minutes when compare to 25 minutes? I don't, so I can't falsify the the joke either, but 30 minutes warm up time is about "right" when I was using Class A amplifier on speaker system, probably where the meme comes from.
The shop was serious, and the users got furious….I just hope it wouldn’t have any lingering and rippling effects 😂

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,095 of 5,543

I heard From Andrew that it would start shipping out from 14-15th ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back