Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #526 of 5,538
Now all we need is for DAP vendors to start using Android 11/12, not 9! I know the only reason Cayin/HiBy are stuck on 9 is because they haven't developed their bypass code for 10/11/12 yet. Hopefully they'll do so soon, but I wouldn't expect them to update the N8ii even if they do.
SD660 is pretty much open and resourceful, all we need is someone who is well versed into Android and Linux OS kinda guy. You can do whatever you want

A dual booting OS ? Custom OS ? Or overclocking ….etc… as long as we have some of them XDA guy who is interested

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #527 of 5,538
It happens with every DAP release.. "oh no it's only Android (insert any "outdated" version here)"

I don't think I've seen an Android DAP yet that's actually been unable to use streaming apps because the OS itself was too outdated. The DAPs themselves get outdated far before the OS does.

It's rinse repeat. I'll take an older and more stable version of Android that comes with a snappy processor before something that has the latest Android OS with a processor from 2012 :wink:
Yep for sure. Sony misread the room in that regard, big time. Then again Sony has its own room and doesn't really care what anyone else is doing in other rooms. 😅

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #528 of 5,538
It happens with every DAP release.. "oh no it's only Android (insert any "outdated" version here)"

I don't think I've seen an Android DAP yet that's actually been unable to use streaming apps because the OS itself was too outdated. The DAPs themselves get outdated far before the OS does.

It's rinse repeat. I'll take an older and more stable version of Android that comes with a snappy processor before something that has the latest Android OS with a processor from 2012 :wink:
I completely agree. I bought an N6ii Ti worried about the Android version. It's not a problem at all. It isn't even that slow.

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #529 of 5,538
Yep for sure. Sony misread the room in that regard, big time. Then again Sony has its own room and doesn't really care what anyone else is doing in other rooms. 😅
For Sony, this business is like a drop of water in pond... I dont think their C-level executives would care what is Z1R or WM1Z or whatever..

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #530 of 5,538
Is this DAP going to stock out before it launches? I want to hear it first as I am not sure if I want to buy it.

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #534 of 5,538
Canjam has it on display :), the best way to hear it. Otherwise, jump in blindfolded like the rest of us :)!!!
I will be at CanJam. It's near the top of my list of products to hear. I just want to make sure they don't sell out before I get a chance to hear it on Saturday.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #537 of 5,538
Are these going to sell out? Pretty close to ordering one but wonder if there is going to be an SS or TI version.
That's probably quite a ways out (if they even do that at all).
Cayin isn't Unique Melody or anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They are probably the only company I would blind bye from right now due to their stellar track record and classy up-front business style. Always impressive.
Also the fact they seem to be reading my wish list at the time I wish it. Not sure how they do that, honestly.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #538 of 5,538
Just to put performance into context, compare N8ii's AnTuTu score of just over 191,000 to the score of my 2-year-old LG V60:

Screenshot_20220224-235211~2.png
Let's just say playing music and basic tasks is just about all these latest SD660 players are good for today, tomorrow and in 5 years' time. No shame in that, but in Android terms, they're very much entry level at best.
You are looking at this the wrong way, I think.

A phone works in what is called "race to idle" mode - it needs to execute tasks as fast as possible, then quickly go to idle. This is because you need it to be responsive when you interact with it, but also to last the entire day. Phones have fast cpus that can execute tasks quickly but can only maintain that performance for a short time - they would overheat and drain the battery in no time.

A DAP is quite different - it needs a cpu that is only fast enough to stream, decode the files it is playing, and do some audio processing. But it needs to do this continuously and for an extended period of time.

If you were to have a flagship phone cpu in a DAP, it will have to be massively downclocked or else it will use way to much power, it will overheat, the battery will last 2h and will generate a lot of electrical noise.

So way pay for a top of the line cpu only to force it to be just as slow as low end one, and probably less efficient also.

It is much better to use a cpu designed for efficiency.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #539 of 5,538
So way pay for a top of the line cpu only to force it to be just as slow as low end one, and probably less efficient also.
Same reason I bought a Lambo to cruise the city streets. Give me props.
edit: you make excellent points.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #540 of 5,538
Congratulation, I’ve never been so excited about this new release before. The N8 Gold already was my favourite DAP, paired with the Black Erlkonig. The human voice on the N8 Gold just captured it for me. I am looking forward to ordering this new one and seeing where this sound takes me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back