Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #511 of 5,538
To put this speed and app support discussion to rest: it's a DAP and not a smartphone, people. It does not need the latest OS. Most streaming apps need Android 4+, some Android 5.

I assume most of us want to play music on this device, right? Not play games. It needs to be fast enough to enable comfortable browsing and that's it. Decoding various formats is done by dedicated hardware.

Why put in a new high-end CPU? This will eat battery and cost much more money.

Of course, that's only my personal opinion. I for once am grateful that stereo gear will never be outdated as quickly as a phone.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #512 of 5,538
I am happy for you to be able to drop $3K on a DAP every 2 years but not me. While I am glad the N8ii is the fastest he has ever used as it likely will be considering it is brand new. I love Cayin, which is why I invested in a C9 amp to complement my LPGT but I stand by my initial opinion on electronics vs. software and I apologize if it upsets a few individuals.
N6ii, which runs on Android 8, works flawlessly without any hitches or bugs. It's not smartphone speed, but then it's designed to play music only.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #513 of 5,538
Will drop another tidbit of info.

For example, SP2000T has SS/NuTube (single NuTube) and when you are in a hybrid or a tube mode they pick up interference when streaming. Some hear it, others don't, maybe it is dependent on your router, but I did experience that when streaming. Here, when I had a chance to test N8ii, while streaming, seems like Tubes are isolated well enough to be shielded from internal wifi antenna, and I didn't experience any interference.

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #514 of 5,538

For example, SP2000T has SS/NuTube (single NuTube) and when you are in a hybrid or a tube mode they pick up interference when streaming. Some hear it, others don't, maybe it is dependent on your router, but I did experience that when streaming. Here, when I had a chance to test N8ii, while streaming, seems like Tubes are isolated well enough to be shielded from internal wifi antenna, and I didn't experience any interference.
That buzz and overall loud hiss issues were so annoying with SP2KT to me

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #515 of 5,538

This is good to know. Its one of the reasons why I use SD card only on the Sp2000T. It picks up static when streaming on Tidal

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #516 of 5,538

When comparisons are made, would you be using Class A or Class AB ? I am talking about the section where you would compare DAP vs DAP , DAP+C9 vs DAP... I believe most of the DAPs run Class AB (Sony may be the only one running Class D) ...

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #517 of 5,538
Cayin N8 was released back in 2017-18. I am confident that this N8ii will be with us for 4-5 years easily.

The SOC also speaks for itself of a future proof of 5 years
Just to put performance into context, compare N8ii's AnTuTu score of just over 191,000 to the score of my 2-year-old LG V60:

Screenshot_20220224-235211~2.png

Let's just say playing music and basic tasks is just about all these latest SD660 players are good for today, tomorrow and in 5 years' time. No shame in that, but in Android terms, they're very much entry level at best.

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #518 of 5,538
Just to put performance into context, compare N8ii's AnTuTu score of just over 191,000 to the score of my 2-year-old LG V60:

Screenshot_20220224-235211~2.png
Let's just say playing music and basic tasks is just about all these latest SD660 players are good for today, tomorrow and in 5 years' time. No shame in that, but in Android terms, they're very much entry level at best.
Did you find a DAP that meets your android requirements yet ?

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #519 of 5,538
Did you find a DAP that meets your android requirements yet ?
Yep, the HiBy RS6 and R8 are more than fast enough for what I need to do with a DAP, which means N8ii will be equally suitable from an Android/SoC perspective. I wouldn't want an SD660 smartphone though!

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #520 of 5,538
Yep, the HiBy RS6 and R8 are more than fast enough for what I need to do with a DAP, which means N8ii will be equally suitable from an Android/SoC perspective. I wouldn't want an SD660 smartphone though!
Why are we talking about smartphones here.. I am getting confused.. Is there a problem with having SD660 in a DAP.. Do you like to see SD865 SD888 SD8 Gen 1.. something like that ?

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #521 of 5,538
Why are we talking about smartphones here.. I am getting confused.. Is there a problem with having SD660 in a DAP.. Do you like to see SD865 SD888 SD8 Gen 1.. something like that ?
I was only putting the N8ii's Android performance, which is the fastest we've seen in an Android DAP to date, in context with modern smartphones. It's unrealistic to expect SD8xx SoCs to be used in DAPs, not for a few years yet. SD660 and Android 9/10/11 are more than sufficient for smooth, fast DAP operation now and for the next few years, as long as you use them with their basic functions in mind.

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #522 of 5,538
I was only putting the N8ii's Android performance, which is the fastest we've seen in an Android DAP to date, in context with modern smartphones. It's unrealistic to expect SD8xx SoCs to be used in DAPs, not for a few years yet. SD660 and Android 9/10/11 are more than sufficient for smooth, fast DAP operation now and for the next few years, as long as you use them with their basic functions in mind.
I think @Andykong explained this conundrum in one of his posts, about how it is difficult to source for SOC given the order quantity is not as many as someone selling smartphone. I think Cayin or any other DAP manufacturer (Sony could be an exception because of their smartphone business) dont have any direct way to contact QualComm for SOCs, they have to go through vendors and middleman to place an order for say 1000-2000 SOCs for N8ii, and for that kind of an order, I believe QualComm would charge an arm and leg.. If this SOC was sourced by smartphone manufacturer like Samsung, I am sure the pricing would be way lower compared to Cayin..

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #523 of 5,538
To put this speed and app support discussion to rest: it's a DAP and not a smartphone, people. It does not need the latest OS. Most streaming apps need Android 4+, some Android 5.

I assume most of us want to play music on this device, right? Not play games. It needs to be fast enough to enable comfortable browsing and that's it. Decoding various formats is done by dedicated hardware.

Why put in a new high-end CPU? This will eat battery and cost much more money.

Of course, that's only my personal opinion. I got once an grateful that stereo gear will never be outdated as quickly as a phone.
Excellent point ! And when you account into this matter, the SD660 got upgraded to android 12. This means we will have it for 8-10 years and still be able to stream.
SD660 just get a treatment for Android12 which is the newest as well. So for a DAP, this is going no where for 5+ years. I don’t see why people is worried now, as mentioned above, it can handle upto 8-10 years just fine . This chip is much better than the one inside the new Walkman though.

I am sure 5 years from now I will be looking at another flagship already

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #524 of 5,538
It happens with every DAP release.. "oh no it's only Android (insert any "outdated" version here)"

I don't think I've seen an Android DAP yet that's actually been unable to use streaming apps because the OS itself was too outdated. The DAPs themselves get outdated far before the OS does.

It's rinse repeat. I'll take an older and more stable version of Android that comes with a snappy processor before something that has the latest Android OS with a processor from 2012 :wink:

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #525 of 5,538
SD660 just get a treatment for Android12 which is the newest as well. So for a DAP, this is going no where for 5+ years. I don’t see why people is worried now, as mentioned above, it can handle upto 8-10 years just fine .
Now all we need is for DAP vendors to start using Android 11/12, not 9! I know the only reason Cayin/HiBy are stuck on 9 is because they haven't developed their bypass code for 10/11/12 yet. Hopefully they'll do so soon, but I wouldn't expect them to update the N8ii even if they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back