Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #2,986 of 5,538
Never listened to the Obravo before but have heard how incredibly difficult it is to drive. Are referring to the SP2K or N8ii?

Accepting what is heard is a subjective thing. Not saying you have lower expectations, certainly not with the gear you own. I'd probably not have the awareness if I hadn't experienced how the Annihilator kept scaling upwards on another rig to levels I didn't believe existed in this portable, more significantly in-ear, space, as to feeling that on something with undeniably as much power as the 300Max, the quality of sound was now to me... inadequate. And the cause of this was not the IEM, that was constant, not the DAC, though that played a considerable role, but the external amp+psu, which leads me to conclude that the power/current variable is the bane, the choke point if I may exaggerate to drive home a point, of the leading integrated DAPs today.
Was referring to the SP2K. Best DAP I have owned thus far- it also had an impeccable integration with Roon.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,988 of 5,538
I don't use Roon, but for a long time, it was my best DAP too! Lets not hijack this thread any further. If you like, we can move this conversation over to the SP2K thread.
I am waiting for the next successor from AK, the SP3K-2T...which has 2 tubes. May be they need to release SP3K first and wait 5 years later to catch up with dual tubes just like they did with SP2K-T. That is all good though, flagship products deserve a 5 years cycle.

SoNy is bluntly using the same DAC chips that is found on their cheapest product lines toward their flagships with fancy word salads and selling the same power output of 250mW Walkman. I am tired of the low power Walkman , with a lot of word salad, but no other specs are disclosed like SNR or THD..etc...

sadly to say that but Cayin is leading the way now, together with LP which is aimed at a higher spending crowd and there is also Ibasso which is aiming at a lower spending crowd but with great performances. Doesn’t matter what, I will enjoy the N8ii for a while until the next product that can cramp dual Korg tubes in a portable released as a competition and see.

the craziest thing is that as the N8ii is sitting, giving it a little more space and it can fit 4x Korg tubes😂. To fit in 2X tubes in this small foot print and has little to zero microphonic is mind blowing

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #2,989 of 5,538
Only 85%. Wow. The LP6, any edition, would be my bet that could drive any IEM on its own. But again, it's not about making sound come out of it, is it? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, current plays as important, if not more so, than power, and apparently, there's no way of finding out from the tech specs sheet, so say the experts. Perhaps you can consider amping your LP6 Ti; additionally, freeing it from having to power its DAC will improve performance.
I have with the Pico Audio Orige SE. TBH the LP6Ti sound quality does not need the Pico Audio AMP. Ultimately, it adds harmonics to the overall sound coming out which kind of defeats the object. Maybe there is vaccum tube that will give me a sound I like? I am trying a few like Telefunken and Amperex bugle boy. I feel the Pico amp works best with the N8ii and actually improves it by a noticeable difference compared to pairing with the LP6TI.
I have an audiophile friend who is pushing the Obravo via a McIntosh MA8900 because he was not happy about it going through an LP6TI:) Again, it defeats the objective of having a portable IEM. He might as well be listening to it via an over the ear headphone which should give a better sound or go direct to floor standing speakers. LOL.

IMG_3191.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #2,990 of 5,538
I am waiting for the next successor from AK, the SP3K-2T...which has 2 tubes. May be they need to release SP3K first and wait 5 years later to catch up with dual tubes just like they did with SP2K-T. That is all good though, flagship products deserve a 5 years cycle.
Well, with this AKM news, perhaps the SP3K is not too far off.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #2,991 of 5,538
SoNy is bluntly using the same DAC chips that is found on their cheapest product lines toward their flagships with fancy word salads and selling the same power output of 250mW Walkman. I am tired of the low power Walkman , with a lot of word salad, but no other specs are disclosed like SNR or THD..etc...

sadly to say that but Cayin is leading the way now, together with LP which is aimed at a higher spending crowd and there is also Ibasso which is aiming at a lower spending crowd but with great performances. Doesn’t matter what, I will enjoy the N8ii for a while until the next product that can cramp dual Korg tubes in a portable released as a competition and see.
Too be fair, Sony makes products for and sells to consumers. The niche brands, like Cayin and iBasso, on the other hand, are targeting the prosumers. Vey different business models.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,992 of 5,538
Too be fair, Sony makes products for and sells to consumers. The niche brands, like Cayin and iBasso, on the other hand, are targeting the prosumers. Vey different business models.
Yeah, but their pricing is not saying that....Walkman is selling to the consumers LOL! But you are right. I do see your points. I am seeing the NW-WM1Z M2 is a glorified Zx507 and nothing more LOL

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #2,993 of 5,538
I have with the Pico Audio Orige SE. TBH the LP6Ti sound quality does not need the Pico Audio AMP. Ultimately, it adds harmonics to the overall sound coming out which kind of defeats the object. Maybe there is vaccum tube that will give me a sound I like? I am trying a few like Telefunken and Amperex bugle boy. I feel the Pico amp works best with the N8ii and actually improves it by a noticeable difference compared to pairing with the LP6TI.
I have an audiophile friend who is pushing the Obravo via a McIntosh MA8900 because he was not happy about it going through an LP6TI:) Again, it defeats the objective of having a portable IEM. He might as well be listening to it via an over the ear headphone which should give a better sound or go direct to floor standing speakers. LOL.

IMG_3191.jpg
Hmm. Well, then there's this thing called synergy, which is even harder to explain and ascertain. I have heard even the C9 adds little to no value to the N8ii. Not going to say too much, let me test a new incoming amp with the N8ii, and maybe share what I've learned then. I am currently using an Aroma power stack -- A100TB+PSU, newly upgraded op amp (v5i-D) on my HM1K Quad, perhaps that might synergize better with the LP6 Ti since both have R2R DAC implementations. You're from HKG, should be familiar with those gear. Perhaps you could give it a test drive...

You're absolutely right about powering an IEM with a hardcore audiophile system, bit like using a laser to kill a fly! I think folks, especially oldies like me haha, having come from a hifi past will appreciate separating gear on the transport/clock/DAC-preamp-amp-speaker chain will improve sound quality regardless how good or powerful an integrated box is! And that, my friend, is exactly what these DAPs, N8ii and LP6 Ti inclusive, are.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #2,994 of 5,538
Yeah, but their pricing is not saying that....Walkman is selling to the consumers LOL! But you are right. I do see your points. I am seeing the NW-WM1Z M2 is a glorified Zx507 and nothing more LOL
Again, pricing is relative. The Walkman is a branded player. It's a Sony, man, come on haha! In addition to the sound of music reproduced, for better or worse, there are intangible benefits to ownership that is quite uniquely Sony. Like Apple. Can't beat that. 🙄

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,995 of 5,538
Hmm. Well, then there's this thing called synergy, which is even harder to explain and ascertain. I have heard even the C9 adds little to no value to the N8ii. Not going to say too much, let me test a new incoming amp with the N8ii, and maybe share what I've learned then. I am currently using an Aroma power stack -- A100TB+PSU, newly upgraded op amp (v5i-D) on my HM1K Quad, perhaps that might synergize better with the LP6 Ti since both have R2R DAC implementations. You're from HKG, should be familiar with those gear. Perhaps you could give it a test drive...

You're absolutely right about powering an IEM with a hardcore audiophile system, bit like using a laser to kill a fly! I think folks, especially oldies like me haha, having come from a hifi past will appreciate separating gear on the transport/clock/DAC-preamp-amp-speaker chain will improve sound quality regardless how good or powerful an integrated box is! And that, my friend, is exactly what these DAPs, N8ii and LP6 Ti inclusive, are.
Actually, I was considering the Aroma A100TB but decided on the Pico since a lot more to customize and play with. Yes, there are mods on the Aroma which might just be good for the LP6 TI but do we wait for the LP7 since apparently this could be the end game:wink:

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #2,996 of 5,538
There are Iems that demand more than 6v of power? Woowwww that's new for me, according to what is in the sp2000 thread translates in more than 1000 mw at 32ohms , so more than the n8iiScreenshot_20210604_104045_com.huawei.browser.jpg
Hey wrong thread , again you bringing your bias posts.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,997 of 5,538
Actually, I was considering the Aroma A100TB but decided on the Pico since a lot more to customize and play with. Yes, there are mods on the Aroma which might just be good for the LP6 TI but do we wait for the LP7 since apparently this could be the end game:wink:
End game until LP8, just like N8ii is the endgame for now LOL! The game can never end, the manufacturer will not run out of idea to dip into your pockets, but your pocket may run out of money, and until then, no end game for you

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,998 of 5,538
End game until LP8, just like N8ii is the endgame for now LOL! The game can never end, the manufacturer will not run out of idea to dip into your pockets, but your pocket may run out of money, and until then, no end game for you
Yeah, I don't subscribe to the end-game concept too. There's always something better looming in the horizon, otherwise, what's the fun of this whole game? 😈

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,999 of 5,538
At some point it is good to breath and try to let your mind know it is okay to enjoy what gear you have. The jump straight to TOTL is all about finding what clicks with you for the majority of the music you listen to, the signature. There is the music listening side of this hobby and the race to the "next best thing" side of the hobby. Then there is the melding of two. For me, it is difficult to chase "perceived perfection" and take time to listen. This is also part of the reason I only do a handful of reviews a year, trying to listen critically removes a great deal of the fun and enjoying the music for me.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,000 of 5,538
At some point it is good to breath and try to let your mind know it is okay to enjoy what gear you have. The jump straight to TOTL is all about finding what clicks with you for the majority of the music you listen to, the signature. There is the music listening side of this hobby and the race to the "next best thing" side of the hobby. Then there is the melding of two. For me, it is difficult to chase "perceived perfection" and take time to listen. This is also part of the reason I only do a handful of reviews a year, trying to listen critically removes a great deal of the fun and enjoying the music for me.
Well said. I use my modded Sony WM1Z with Mr.Walkman's firmware mod as my DAP. mainly and am so happy with it. I stick with 64Audio A18t as my iem. I've Cayin N6ii R01 and Lotoo Paw 6000 for different flavors. These serve my audio needs exceptionally well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back