Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,931 of 5,538
such as?
I have been asking all along about the FPGA, because the N8ii as a digital transport out is amazing toward my external DAC

I also want to know more about the analog tuning, the DC coupling capacitors, and what is the unity gain of the N8ii.

Need to look forward more info into the chassis as a heatsinks design that while the player is warmed up, it is just conducting heat dissipation very efficient. There are 2 ways to deal with the heat generated. You don’t touch it, and contain it inside the chassis like SP2000. It will warm up the player as the ground plane PCB will eventually transfer the heat toward the chassis. But this will give the illusions that your player isn’t as hot….simply because the heat is trapped inside. Or you can vent it and dissipate it with all the components to be fixed toward the aluminum chassis. So then the aluminum chassis will dissipate the heat away from the internal components as much as possible. The best way to tell how efficient it is dissipating heat is by judging the temperature of the chassis. The warmer it is, the better it is doing at it job.

I suspect the N8ii has a very efficient ways to dissipate the heat due to the chassis temperature. But the longer Cayin is holding back this technicality, the more people will mistaken it and thinking that the SP2000 is running cooler…in the while it isn’t

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,932 of 5,538
I have been asking all along about the FPGA, because the N8ii as a digital transport out is amazing toward my external DAC

I also want to know more about the analog tuning, the DC coupling capacitors, and what is the unity gain of the N8ii.

Need to look forward more info into the chassis as a heatsinks design that while the player is warmed up, it is just conducting heat dissipation very efficient. There are 2 ways to deal with the heat generated. You don’t touch it, and contain it inside the chassis like SP2000. It will warm up the player as the ground plane PCB will eventually transfer the heat toward the chassis. But this will give the illusions that your player isn’t as hot….simply because the heat is trapped inside. Or you can vent it and dissipate it with all the components to be fixed toward the aluminum chassis. So then the aluminum chassis will dissipate the heat away from the internal components as much as possible. The best way to tell how efficient it is dissipating heat is by judging the temperature of the chassis. The warmer it is, the better it is doing at it job.

I suspect the N8ii has a very efficient ways to dissipate the heat due to the chassis temperature. But the longer Cayin is holding back this technicality, the more people will mistaken it and thinking that the SP2000 is running cooler…in the while it isn’t
I try to answer these questions with my "English level"

Let's talk about heat dissipation first When I released the n8ii, I had a live broadcast in China, which demonstrated an inner frame made of all aluminum CNC. In addition to effectively shielding wireless interference, this aluminum frame also has the greatest function of heat dissipation

PCBA is installed close to the aluminum frame, so that we can obtain the maximum physical contact area, and then conduct heat to the shell with Panasonic graphene

Therefore, according to the perception of many users, the shell of cayin DAP will be relatively hot. In fact, the internal heat is rapidly exported through the shell I believe no one will doubt that the metal shell is the only way to conduct heat for portable DAP

There are so many daps on the market, depending on the design and materials, the working current, efficiency and final heat of each DAP will be different How to choose depends on your usage scenario

For some people, heat is not a problem, but for others, it may be a problem We can only stick to our own design to win the approval of some people

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #2,933 of 5,538
I am not talking about differences is sound signature which are more than obvious.

I am talking about driving and matching with various types of headphones.

As an example, the solid state mode sounds to me better in driving planars, I have the suspicion that it provides more current than the tube mode.

My two cents, as we await Andy's return.

The tube/solid-state timbre circuit exists within the small-signal, voltage gain stage.

The output stage disregards whatever precedes it (as long as Cayin's driver stage has enough juice to push its power stage, you're OK).

Therefore, the output stage's current-handling ability remains the same regardless of the timbre you've selected.

If the "solid-state mode sounds better in driving planars", we assume there's more control, and transients are more defined? And tubes sound more euphonic and hence transients are more blurred and liquid, implying 'the tube doesn't drive planars' as well?

If that's the implication, your findings perhaps have more to do with the timbre circuit delivering results between SS and tube, rather than any inability to drive planars.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #2,934 of 5,538
My two cents, as we await Andy's return.

The tube/solid-state timbre circuit exists within the small-signal, voltage gain stage.

The output stage disregards whatever precedes it (as long as Cayin's driver stage has enough juice to push its power stage, you're OK).

Therefore, the output stage's current-handling ability remains the same regardless of the timbre you've selected.

If the "solid-state mode sounds better in driving planars", we assume there's more control, and transients are more defined? And tubes sound more euphonic and hence transients are more blurred and liquid, implying 'the tube doesn't drive planars' as well?

If that's the implication, your findings perhaps have more to do with the timbre circuit delivering results between SS and tube, rather than any inability to drive planars.

That is precisely correct, NuTube ckt is part of "timbre" block, it is there just to change the timbre of the sound and as it was explained by Andy in one of the previous posts, in Tube mode it is enabled and in Solid State it is disabled/bypassed. So, in a way, you have either Solid State or hybrid NuTube/Solid state modes. Headamp section is doing all the heavy lifting, driving the final output stage.

1650254954089.png

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #2,935 of 5,538
I thank both of you for explaining.
As I said earlier it might be placebo or as @Z_Showmaster suggested differences in sound flavor that due to matching issues may be perceived as driving issues.
It is not about power, I just thought that Solid state is moving planars with better control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back