Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,911 of 5,538
Oh my ghost, thank you! I was foolishly hunting for it in the Cayin Apps ....because my Ibasso has that in the Ibasso music app settings LOL! <== still a very newb Cayin user

And you also get an option of Audio In with and without USB power so you can prevent it from draining your source if you are connecting it to your smartphone.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,913 of 5,538
Finally I was able to make N8ii to play in USB DAC. Some how it didn’t realize the iPad at first, until I plugged into the PC and opted for USB to be Audio input (no power)

USB C-OTG solid silver to Type C shielded on Data lines and Isolated away from power V-bus. Compare to Ibasso Dx300, the N8ii actually has some glitches over usb-DAC features. I hope Cayin will solve it in the next firmware too.

0E2D1360-6BB5-4A6A-90A5-5675842F6D10.jpeg
44F9750E-D5FB-4BD3-B90D-5E9023A84F93.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #2,915 of 5,538
Finally I was able to make N8ii to play in USB DAC. Some how it didn’t realize the iPad at first, until I plugged into the PC and opted for USB to be Audio input (no power)

USB C-OTG solid silver to Type C shielded on Data lines and Isolated away from power V-bus. Compare to Ibasso Dx300, the N8ii actually has some glitches over usb-DAC features. I hope Cayin will solve it in the next firmware too.

0E2D1360-6BB5-4A6A-90A5-5675842F6D10.jpeg
44F9750E-D5FB-4BD3-B90D-5E9023A84F93.jpeg
Interesting, I got the same problem when using the RU6, there was a break every once in a while. I did not know whether it was because I was playing the sound from youtube and caused by the network delay in downloading the video or was it another thing? Great to know if same problem?

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #2,916 of 5,538
Walkman is the coolest player out there, and there are technical reasons

1/ it is using Class D output amplifications, which is 90% efficient, that means only 10% energy is wasted as heat

2/ Walkman is merely 1/4 the output power of Cayin N8ii

250mW output at 16 ohms load VS 1200mW

3/ Walkman does not have dual Korg tubes

Once again, please brings any other players that offer what Cayin N8ii do have, and we can compare which one run the coolest

If you wanted a Walkman, then go for it.

You are comparing Orange to Apple and calling one of them to be an issues ?
I love my NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A. Having said that, I am very curious about the N8ii. The Sonys are a cool delight, but owners have to be extremely careful about what headphones you pair with them, due to limited power. If I ever get the N8ii, then I can begin experimenting with hard-to-drive headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #2,923 of 5,538
Hey guys, is there any difference in current delivery between the various modes?
Solid state vs Tube and class AB vs A?
Listening tests suggest that it should be but maybe it is placebo, I don't know...
It is not placebo .. there is a difference, just not as you toggle between them - you have to let the other warm up and rely on your "Musical Memory".
Mu friend will come back from holiday in 8 days so we gona have 2 N8ii here and we will compare the modes in equal setups.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #2,924 of 5,538
It is not placebo .. there is a difference, just not as you toggle between them - you have to let the other warm up and rely on your "Musical Memory".
Mu friend will come back from holiday in 8 days so we gona have 2 N8ii here and we will compare the modes in equal setups.
I am not talking about differences is sound signature which are more than obvious.

I am talking about driving and matching with various types of headphones.

As an example, the solid state mode sounds to me better in driving planars, I have the suspicion that it provides more current than the tube mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back