Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,881 of 5,538
Thank you for your feedback and I understand your answers.

Nevertheless I buy a portable walkman and in my use even if it costs more than 3000 euros, it will be more in my pocket than on a desk.
Personally I have a cowon plenue 2 and an AK SR25. These 2 players do not heat up and can be put in my pocket without risking creating additional heating of the player. I want to buy a better portable player to make me happy and the CAYIN player was a solution for me. Unfortunately, I must have made a mistake because if I really want to use it as a portable music player, which is normally its basic objective, it won't be possible.

As specified in my previous message, I wish the opinion of CAYIN to my previous message.
Walkman is the coolest player out there, and there are technical reasons

1/ it is using Class D output amplifications, which is 90% efficient, that means only 10% energy is wasted as heat

2/ Walkman is merely 1/4 the output power of Cayin N8ii

250mW output at 16 ohms load VS 1200mW

3/ Walkman does not have dual Korg tubes

Once again, please brings any other players that offer what Cayin N8ii do have, and we can compare which one run the coolest

If you wanted a Walkman, then go for it.

You are comparing Orange to Apple and calling one of them to be an issues ?

Attachments

• 9E8C177A-9CAA-4C94-B40B-E8F1CBE6A853.jpeg
    9E8C177A-9CAA-4C94-B40B-E8F1CBE6A853.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #2,882 of 5,538
Walkman is the coolest player out there, and there are technical reasons

1/ it is using Class D output amplifications, which is 90% efficient, that means only 10% energy is wasted as heat

2/ Walkman is merely 1/4 the output power of Cayin N8ii

250mW output at 16 ohms load VS 1200mW

3/ Walkman does not have dual Korg tubes

Once again, please brings any other players that offer what Cayin N8ii do have, and we can compare which one run the coolest

If you wanted a Walkman, then go for it.

You are comparing Orange to Apple and calling one of them to be an issues ?
I think he means DAP.. Walkmans of old and not Sony Walkman specifically...

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but according to Korg, Nutube do not produce any heat during operation?

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 5.11.16 PM.png

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,883 of 5,538
I think he means DAP.. Walkmans of old and not Sony Walkman specifically...

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but according to Korg, Nutube do not produce any heat during operation?

You are not wrong, but I was explaining it under foolproof method. Korg tubes draw a lot of current and consumes energy much more than other components….because it is Korg tubes. So what heats up is actually the power supply, and supportive components

In fact, you can run Korg tube so very cool, but then you would not have the power that the N8ii have, one example is DX220 and Amp9. The person was heavily confused, and I do not want to confuse him any more than already have

Older Walkman does not have close to the power of modern DAP and runs off 2A batteries, again Apple to Pine apple comparison

**in all Korg tubes operated devices** to have adequate power and measurements, it just generate so much heat, period.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #2,884 of 5,538
You are not wrong, but I was explaining it under foolproof method. Korg tubes draw a lot of current and consumes energy much more than other components….because it is Korg tubes.

In fact, you can run Korg tube so very cool, but then you would not have the power that the N8ii have, one example is DX220 and Amp9. The person was heavily confused, and I do not want to confuse him any more than already have

Older Walkman does not have close to the power of modern DAP and runs off 2A batteries, again Apple to Pine apple comparison
Running Nutube at 5v or 12v or 30v affects the frequency response differently according to their data sheet, I do not think there is a direct correlation to power output (Edit: Ok yes higher db). More of "flavour"? No doubt the different power draw results in the batteries heating up, hence yes, more heat is produced by the batteries as a result. Knowing this, the design of the N8ii should have taken this into account.

Gaming smartphones build in cooling chambers to dissipate excessive heat, as well as bigger batteries to sustain battery life / performance for example. No one is going to say: because we are giving you extra power to play games at 120fps therefore your devices will now run at 85 Celsius and your battery life will now be only 2hours.

I do think that a lot of the issues that the N8ii faces can be fixed via software updates eventually. But we do have to acknowledge too that there are some who are facing problems with the product and not write them off.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2,885 of 5,538
I may just be the exception as opposed to the rule here, but I have never held on to any device, smartphones (probably buy 4 a year) or DAPs as to needing to worry about battery health or performance decline. Are folks actually holding on to devices for 2-4 years?

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2,886 of 5,538
The heat being generated is physics and not going away with firmware. People needs to learn how to adjust to the N8ii. Otherwise, they should get a Walkman.

One of the player that never heated up so much is the Dx300, while having very powerful output as well…. The only player that shakes Walkman features… But it doesn’t use desktop DAC, and once it start doing so as in Dx300Max, there is the heat…

I may just be the exception as opposed to the rule here, but I have never held on to any device, smartphones (probably buy 4 a year) or DAPs as to needing to worry about battery health or performance decline. Are folks actually holding on to devices for 2-4 years?
Normally, no, not many, but for some cases, they still do. I keep some, but because when I needed it, I replace the battery myself.

But with all the questions being asked, one undeniable fact is that battery do degenerate much faster when heated up. That is why Walkman battery last so long, because it never generated any heat or being surrounded by heat. But when we start wishing beyond it physical limits 250mW a channel….uhm…

Well, Sony ain’t making it lol!!

I don’t want to see Cayin stop making the like of N8ii either lol!!!

I definitely don’t want to see a DC Fan inside any flagship DAP.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #2,887 of 5,538

I try to hang onto a phone at least 2+ years and hope to get many more of of the N8ii.
I think the majority of us don’t go through 4 devices a year.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #2,889 of 5,538
I try to hang onto a phone at least 2+ years and hope to get many more of of the N8ii.
I think the majority of us don’t go through 4 devices a year.
It is another hobby to dump money into. If I was an iPhone user I wouldn't have options but once a year. I think I try more DAPs than that a year as well.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2,890 of 5,538
I must be a small minority, but I still use my DD socket 1, venturecraft Jazz/Valoq and AK120. I like their sound then, and I still do now. But I do get your point.
But do bare in mind, we are not talking about through away products, we are talking about products which cost a healthy sum of money.

Recently AK stopped producing spare parts for their AK380 and SP1000. I know of a guy who had a wheel issue on his Sp2000 three times in one year. Imagine paying $4,999 USD and expecting to keep it for a lifetime and only to be told you can't repair it once you do need it.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2,891 of 5,538
Depends on the device my sp2000 is approaching 3 years now. My iPhone I swap every 2 years. I’d say my average is 2-4 years life span.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,892 of 5,538
Hi Guys, I recently got a Pico Audio Origa SE Vacuum Amp and fitted it with the Telefunken E88CC 6DJ8 Gold pin tube and connected this with the N8ii. The sound is even more amazing. Try checking it out.
85C2B390-1006-4DB6-B86B-309524E16761.jpegDCECB5BC-F328-4AE4-A61F-8A0A3EC7D696.jpeg
I've seen the modded version CAS workshop does, it uses Duelund capacitor, it cost around 13,800 HKD just for the mod. Love to hear it one day.
83075914_2358098540958098_4964690707630522368_n.jpg
2.jpg

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,893 of 5,538
Joining the thread :):)
Didn't had the power to scroll all the 19x pages.. but here my remarks:

AMAZING sounding player !!

Recommendation:
Since it is based on the HiBy architecture and APK, it is better to use HiBy app and play Tidal via .
I've compared native Tidal app vs Hiby (Tidal) and it sound much better this way. Maybe it is not "news" for many ..

UAPP use android driver as no support yet for the N8ii new DAC chip (i think so...)

Also try to use with Susvara - High Gain at 85-95% volume - Fantastic for normal volume levels, may not be enough volume for people who listen at high levels.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #2,894 of 5,538
I've seen the modded version CAS workshop does, it uses Duelund capacitor, it cost around 13,800 HKD just for the mod. Love to hear it one day. 83075914_2358098540958098_4964690707630522368_n.jpg2.jpg
Yes, I’m sure it’ll make a difference. It’s my next move to change the Caps after I tested a few of the best tubes on it. I got the Bugle boy today as well. Just absorbing the sound difference.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,895 of 5,538
Depends on the device my sp2000 is approaching 3 years now. My iPhone I swap every 2 years. I’d say my average is 2-4 years life span.
I agree, I probably had the SP2000 longer than any device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back