Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #2,866 of 5,538
Anyone got the same problem? Suddenly my leather case broke and the metal was coming out!!!

Please, Cayin that’s not the case we wanted! 🤯

Sorry, we shall arrange a replacement for your N8ii case.

Can you tell me which dealer you bought your N8ii from? we can add an extra N8ii case in his next order and ask him to send the case to you? Or drop me a PM and give me your transaction detail. :pray:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #2,867 of 5,538
All customers are reporting the battery bug where the battery drops from 100% to any other value. This happens a lot actually.

Also, it happens that the player skips through songs occasionally.

Other than that, people are very happy with N8II!

@Andykong Are you working on a fix yet?

Thanks, Tom.

Sorry for the delay in providing a firmware fix, we are working on it. :beerchug:

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #2,868 of 5,538
Seems like I spoke too soon.
Has been like this for 1 hour
I had 6% battery left prior to this happening this morning.
It wasn't fully drained, that is the problem.
I am sending it back to the dealer later on today. It is rather bewildering that a TOTL DAP was let out of the factory with this sort of issue.

Which is a bit of a shame as there is a lot to like about the N8ii.
I have zero desire to bash anyone- let alone the maker of a product that I was super happy with in the area that matters most- sound.
Having owned a number of DAPs, I have never had problems like this.

I fully intend to buy another unit as and when these issues get ironed out.

Sorry for the problem you have run into and thank you for your understanding. This is abnormal if you have connected the N8ii to a charger for an hour and it still won't revive from protected mode. I agree the most effective solution at this point is to send the player to the dealer and ask them to check the player thoroughly.

There are two different protected modes. If the Qualcomm CPU puts your player into protected mode, you need to hold the on/off button for 15 seconds to resume normal operation. If the battery entered protected mode, you need to connect the player to a charger and let it slow charge with a pulse current for 30 minutes. The player will warm up slightly during this process. So if you connect your player to charge 5-10 minutes and it is still stone cold, then this is probably not working at all. May I ask did you feel any temperature when you attempt to charge up the N8ii again.

For the record, Li-On batteries need to recalibrate, but this is not related to your current situation directly, I'll explain that in another post. Despite your observation that the battery reading remains the same in the past, the 6% battery reading prior to this instance is, IMHO, an unreliable reading and is most likely the trigger of the event, but there is no point to dwell on the "maybe" discussion at this point, we should focus on the revival of your DAP to normal operation.

Last edited:

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #2,870 of 5,538
Someone mentioned there could be a song-skip when resuming from an extended pause.....but again, that didn't sound like a major issue. It took me a couple cables to find one that charged/played optimally with N8ii....outside of that the only issue I've hit is the battery level getting stuck on 100%. I usually will listen for a few hours and turn off as opposed to idling....I've only encountered the battery-level bug if I left it on + idling for a hour or so. When in-use, even for a couple hours....no issue.
The skipping results in either having to force stop the player or full DAP reset. Should be fixed with a FW update i would imagine. Same with the resume from pause without having to unlock the DAP again.
All customers are reporting the battery bug where the battery drops from 100% to any other value. This happens a lot actually.

Also, it happens that the player skips through songs occasionally.

Other than that, people are very happy with N8II!

@Andykong Are you working on a fix yet?

Thanks, Tom.
I had the skip thing as well. It seems to be a result of pausing. If you leave it on pause for a longer duration it won't resume play unless you unlock the screen and sometimes you'll get the skipping. 1st time I had skip was when repeatedly pausing when comparing daps with a single iem.

I didn't encounter any skipping problems so far, and I couldn't repeat the problem when I follow the procedures described in the previous posts. Maybe there is some kind of randomization in this problem?

I'll collect all the information and report the problem to our engineering after Easter holidy and widen the search. So far I have found three reports on this skipping problem, if I have missed other reports with an error description, please fill me in.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,871 of 5,538
Sorry for the problem you have run into and thank you for your understanding. This is abnormal if you have connected the N8ii to a charger for an hour and it still won't revive from protected mode. I agree the most effective solution at this point is to send the player to the dealer and ask them to check the player thoroughly.

There are two different protected modes. If the Qualcomm CPU puts your player into protected mode, you need to hold the on/off button for 15 seconds to resume normal operation. If the battery entered protected mode, you need to connect the player to a charger and let it slow charge with a pulse current for 30 minutes. The player will warm up slightly during this process. So if you connect your player to charge 5-10 minutes and it is still stone cold, then this is probably not working at all. May I ask did you feel any temperature when you attempt to charge up the N8ii again.

For the record, Li-On batteries need to recalibrate, but this is not related to your current situation directly, I'll explain that in another post. Despite your observation that the battery reading remains the same in the past, the 6% battery reading prior to this instance is, IMHO, an unreliable reading and is most likely the trigger of the event, but there is no point to dwell on the "maybe" discussion at this point, we should focus on the revival of your DAP to normal operation.
Thanks for responding to this. The player was as cold as it gets and seemingly unresponsive.

Holding the power button didn't do anything at all. It was quite concerning to me as I had not experienced behaviour like this in my 15 years of using countless mobile phones and DAPs.

If this is expected behaviour I would strongly recommend that this is covered in the product manual as the end user experience has been far from great (unless we accept I am one of the few with a more severe case of this issue);

My local dealer was happy to take the unit back but said that I am far from their only customer to request an examination of their n8ii over the device becoming unresponsive (bad batch?);

Either way, I hope this is sorted out ASAP.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #2,872 of 5,538
Just to note that I haven't experienced any heating issues till now although I am extensively using the tube mode.
With my regular phones like Clear Mg or Elite the unit gets hot but nothing alarming as to stop functioning or something to bother me.
Of course I never charge while using the N8II.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #2,873 of 5,538
1/ Heat!

Is it an issues ? Yes, heating up is always an issues for any devices. What causes the heat generation ? The components. The more powerful the components, the more heat it generates. Take AK SP2K for an example. Will it heat up ? Certainly !!! What components make it heat up ? Dual AK4499EQ as the most powerful Desktop DAC chips. Why ? Because it is classified as Desktop and never portable. So, you want it to be cramped inside a portable player ? You get heat, period. Ok, and that wasn’t all there is to it. The AK SP2K doesn’t even activate all 4 channels of the DAC chip.

Now, Shanling M8 is another player that heats up a lot, why ? Because they use the same powerful chip, but why a lot though ? Because it is also using all 4 channels, which means using the desktop chip in the most demanding manner.

So, you understand the heat ?

Now, neither of those 2 player is having any discrete amplifier.

2/ amplifications, have you ever heard of or used class A amplifier ? If you had, then class A amplifier always generate so much heat … why ? Because it is only 20% effective. That means almost 80% of the energy are wasted as heat

Now, class A/B, which is most of the Opamp chips are based on, and they also generate heat too, why ? Because they are only 40-50% effective. And so 60-50% energy becomes heat.

Ok, on top of that, have you ever used a discrete amplifier ? That is right, being discrete, they generate even more heat. Why ? Because each components have it own tolerances, 5% to 20%. That means they will waste energy up to 20% as heat.

3/ Ampli à lampes… Je suis désolé, mais avez-vous déjà utilisé des amplis à lampes qui n'ont pas de lampes à chauffer ? Alors… voilà, vous l'avez… les tubes vont également chauffer.

Bien sûr, les lampes Korg ne chauffent pas autant, mais c'est toujours à lampes, juste pour être des lampes

Enfin, les puces ROHM DAC sont des puces de bureau. L'amplificateur à l'intérieur du N8ii est discret. Il a la classe A, et il a la classe A/B… alors, combien de ces technologies sont déjà connues pour générer de la chaleur ? Ensuite, vous aurez également des tubes Dual Korg. Oui, vous avez bien lu… il y en a 2X. Les avez-vous déjà vus dans un portable ? Sauf N8ii ?

Alors, vous voulez parler de chaleur ? Dites-moi, s'il vous plaît, quel autre lecteur peut être aussi portable, avec un double tube Korg, avec un ampli discret de classe A ou A/B et un fonctionnement plus froid que le N8ii ? S'il vous plaît, pour le bien de cette conversation, continuez.

Ok, vous dites problèmes de charge ?

En quoi est-ce un problème lorsque le joueur essaie de se protéger et de protéger son propriétaire ? Étant donné que la température a suffisamment augmenté, la batterie à l'intérieur pourrait être endommagée et le propriétaire pourrait être en danger ?

Problèmes d'épuisement de la batterie ? Comme quand il est vidé et ne revient pas en ligne après 30 minutes ? Avez-vous essayé vos téléphones Apple de cette façon? S'il vous plaît, dites-moi combien de temps il faut pour se réveiller ?

Les seuls problèmes sur lesquels je suis d'accord, c'est que cela m'a ennuyé, et c'est ainsi que le N8ii n'est pas livré avec un chargeur. Je n'arrêtais pas de dire à tous ces fabricants de DAP d'inclure un chargeur officiel, afin que les gens soient moins frustrés de charger leurs propres lecteurs. Oui, nous avons peut-être déjà eu le chargeur, mais juste pour une preuve infaillible, incluez un chargeur qui se charge juste. C'est ça. De plus, je recommande à Cayin de publier les cas de lecture/charge simultanée, qu'il doit être refroidi avant de pouvoir le faire. Parce que pendant le fonctionnement, le lecteur chauffe, il peut entrer en mode de protection et la charge ne se produirait pas.

Cayin, au lieu d'inclure le boîtier, vous auriez dû inclure un chargeur. Cela aurait résolu tant de vos problèmes

Enfin, aux personnes qui se sont plaintes de la chaleur. Essayez-vous de demander une glace qui n'est pas froide ? D'accord,😎

Thank you for your feedback and I understand your answers.

Nevertheless I buy a portable walkman and in my use even if it costs more than 3000 euros, it will be more in my pocket than on a desk.
Personally I have a cowon plenue 2 and an AK SR25. These 2 players do not heat up and can be put in my pocket without risking creating additional heating of the player. I want to buy a better portable player to make me happy and the CAYIN player was a solution for me. Unfortunately, I must have made a mistake because if I really want to use it as a portable music player, which is normally its basic objective, it won't be possible.

As specified in my previous message, I wish the opinion of CAYIN to my previous message.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #2,874 of 5,538
Thank you for your feedback and I understand your answers.

Nevertheless I buy a portable walkman and in my use even if it costs more than 3000 euros, it will be more in my pocket than on a desk.
Personally I have a cowon plenue 2 and an AK SR25. These 2 players do not heat up and can be put in my pocket without risking creating additional heating of the player. I want to buy a better portable player to make me happy and the CAYIN player was a solution for me. Unfortunately, I must have made a mistake because if I really want to use it as a portable music player, which is normally its basic objective, it won't be possible.

As specified in my previous message, I wish the opinion of CAYIN to my previous message.
WM1ZM2 is the only option at this quality level that you can put into your pocket

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2,875 of 5,538
Thanks for responding to this. The player was as cold as it gets and seemingly unresponsive.

Holding the power button didn't do anything at all. It was quite concerning to me as I had not experienced behaviour like this in my 15 years of using countless mobile phones and DAPs.

If this is expected behaviour I would strongly recommend that this is covered in the product manual as the end user experience has been far from great (unless we accept I am one of the few with a more severe case of this issue);

My local dealer was happy to take the unit back but said that I am far from their only customer to request an examination of their n8ii over the device becoming unresponsive (bad batch?);

Either way, I hope this is sorted out ASAP.

The best option for you is to let your dealer work with Cayin directly. The problem in this particular instance is unable to reactivate the DAP from hibernation. This is abnormal and unique. If your dealer tells you that this is expected behaviour, he is not representing Cayin correctly.

I don't see any meaning to discuss whether the problem is caused by inaccurate battery reading, battery run-in or calibration. If we can't reactive the player, we got a serious problem. We have received several reports that users drained their battery because of inaccurate battery reading, but in all cases, they can revive the player with the procedures I advised previously. As per my experience with Cayin DAPs, if the prescribed procedures are not working, this probably involves hardware problems such as a dead battery or failure of power management components. However, I can't offer any additional comments before we examine the player.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,876 of 5,538
If you never drained your DAP down below 30% you should not have a problem. But for any DAP, draining down to 6% without calibrating it isn’t a feasible way to do.

In the world of engineering, there is always 20% tolerances. That means, before calibrations, the battery should never been drained below 20% also.
If draining batteries prior to "calibration" is a no-no, then the manufacturer should have built in safe-guards (if battery cycle < 1, stop discharge at 30% etc.). It should not and cannot be the user's responsibility especially when there is no accompanying warning/instruction with the product. In today's battery operated portable devices world, this is an unacceptable excuse.

And 20% tolerance??? What kind of engineering is that?

I've always respected your input, and I bought the 3Max partially because of your raving reviews back in the day. But I've found your defence of the N8ii to be quite incredible of late.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #2,877 of 5,538
If draining batteries prior to "calibration" is a no-no, then the manufacturer should have built in safe-guards (if battery cycle < 1, stop discharge at 30% etc.). It should not and cannot be the user's responsibility especially when there is no accompanying warning/instruction with the product. In today's battery operated portable devices world, this is an unacceptable excuse.

I've always respected your input, and I bought the 3Max partially because of your raving reviews back in the day. But I've found your defence of the N8ii to be quite incredible of late.
I agree with every single word in this comment.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #2,878 of 5,538

completely agree with you.

The roles should not be reversed. We are talking about a product costing more than 3000 euros. Even for a product at 30 euros we don't have this battery problem and we don't ask ourselves the question of whether our charging process is the right one.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,879 of 5,538
I agree with every single word in this comment.
I think yours is probably a lemon unit. I did not calibrate my battery or even drain my battery in the 1st use/charge or anything.
Just used it straight out like a phone, and charged the device when it was below 20% or even 40% back up to 100%. No indicator issues either so far.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #2,880 of 5,538

Just to bring it to other people awareness….All electrical components have 20% tolerances. Take resistors/capacitors for example, and we are, especially talking about electrical components here.

This is in the data sheets. So, everything that is generic in electrical engineerings are all allowed upto 20% tolerances from the designated target. Unless all specific circumstances are met and set, in order to changes the tolerances

For example, using 1% precision tolerances resistors, 1% tolerances capacitors, precisely calculating loads, precisely calculating temperature in the controlled environments to guaranteed Temperature drift and PPM….etc…or others approach

One example is that if a laptop is designated to charge at 18V. The charger could be measured at the output as low as 14.4V upto 21.6V. That is, if you specifically using a voltage meter to measure the adapter. Not saying you should use an adapter that is said 20V as it could drift up/down, depends!!

Talk about battery ?
In cold weather, Electric vehicle lose 30% efficiency and that is common
EFB1950F-01AD-4954-8D00-5AB31B806A5A.jpeg

3E8D326E-34D6-48C1-BCF1-B68F0A3D63CE.jpeg
AB6FA9AD-2D2A-42CF-8F16-A07123FF222A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back