Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 26, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,266 of 5,547
Finally touch down in Singapore. Thanks Zepp. Think UAPP havent update for N8ii yet, DSD playback not showing white.
My beloved Diva. :beers:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 26, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,267 of 5,547
Fortunately, Cayin product life cycle are fairly long by industrial standard, it takes us 4 years from N8 to N8ii, so there are indeed a lot of time for you to plan for it. On the other hand, there is a very interesting slag in Hong Kong that goes like this : :ksc75smile:
The sooner you pay for it, the earlier you can enjoy it.
The later you go for it, the more discount you can fight for it.
If time turned back, I rather got married as soon as 18….going with that saying

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #2,268 of 5,547
I have spent some times to compile this review. During nights of enjoying, comparing, loving the N8ii….still craving it everyday 😊 grab a cup of coffee and enjoy reading!

Thank you very much for the time and effort to compile this in-depth review. I must say this is quite different from what I expected. We share the same belief that analog amplification matter more, so I kind of expect your DAP reivew will focus on the analog section, I didn't expect such a lenghty and in-depth discussion on ROHM DAC. :beerchug:

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,269 of 5,547
If time turned back, I rather got married as soon as 18….going with that saying
Interesting. :beerchug:

The fun part of the Hong Kong slag was a symmetrical two-part sentense, and I try to replicate that structure in english translation.

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #2,270 of 5,547
@Andykong. I see that you will have the new Cayin tube amp and N8ii for demo at CanJam Singapore. I can't make it, so I hope to hear the tube amp at CanJam SoCal if anyone will have it there.

I would love to use my N8ii as a source to demo that amp. What would be your recommended cable type and settings to demo it?

Would you go Line Out with the N8ii with a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

I ask because I tried to use my RS6 as source at CanJam NYC and it sounded terrible with a USB cable into a DAC. Or, Line out to dual RCA.

If I wanted to demo a solid state AMP like a Ferrum Orr, would it be best to go 4.4mm balance out to dual 3 pin XLR input on the Orr? I have no idea if these are really dumb ideas or not. So, asking for some recommendations based on technical considerations.

All I know is that I gave up using my RS6 and instead ended up using my iPHone with a CCK adapter to go USB into a DAC and that actually sounded best. Or, with a Hugo 2 going RCA to RCA to a tube amp. I would rather use my N8ii as a source to demo everything so I would either need to go USB into a DAC or same analog interface into an amp. Can you provide some suggestions?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2,271 of 5,547
@Andykong. I see that you will have the new Cayin tube amp and N8ii for demo at CanJam Singapore. I can't make it, so I hope to hear the tube amp at CanJam SoCal if anyone will have it there.

I would love to use my N8ii as a source to demo that amp. What would be your recommended cable type and settings to demo it?

Would you go Line Out with the N8ii with a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

I ask because I tried to use my RS6 as source at CanJam NYC and it sounded terrible with a USB cable into a DAC. Or, Line out to dual RCA.

If I wanted to demo a solid state AMP like a Ferrum Orr, would it be best to go 4.4mm balance out to dual 3 pin XLR input on the Orr? I have no idea if these are really dumb ideas or not. So, asking for some recommendations based on technical considerations.

All I know is that I gave up using my RS6 and instead ended up using my iPHone with a CCK adapter to go USB into a DAC and that actually sounded best. Or, with a Hugo 2 going RCA to RCA to a tube amp. I would rather use my N8ii as a source to demo everything so I would either need to go USB into a DAC or same analog interface into an amp. Can you provide some suggestions?
I am writing a detail announcement for HA-300MK2 in these few days, my deadline is Thur night (2 days before CanJam Singapore), similar to what I did with N8ii. Maybe we can discuss this in more detail after I finish my HA-300MK2 announcement.

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,272 of 5,547
I am writing a detail announcement for HA-300MK2 in these few days, my deadline is Thur night (2 days before CanJam Singapore), similar to what I did with N8ii. Maybe we can discuss this in more detail after I finish my HA-300MK2 announcement.
Absolutely. Good luck with the announcement. That amp is very attractive from an industrial design point of view.

Mar 26, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #2,274 of 5,547
Technically @HiFiHawaii808 , if your amp has RCA input, using 3.5mm out of your N8ii is good! If your amp has dual XLR input, then you can use 4.4mm to dual XLR-3 for connecting. Sound quality is subjective :)
Thanks, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I will buy some cables and test it with my home gear. I can test the N8ii to Ampsandsound Rockwell with 3.5mm to RCA. I can test the 4.4mm to dual 3pin XLR with my Ferrum Orr. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Here is what I am thinking about focusing on

N8ii with all of my source music downloaded onto SD Card.

1. USB-C to USB-B for connection into a DAC that has USB-B port like Chord Hugo TT2.
2. 3.5mm to RCA for connection into a tube amp with RCA inputs
3. 4.4mm to 3pin XLR for connection into balanced amps that have dual 3 pin XLR input like Ferrum Orr

Not sure how I would feed a Chord Mojo 2 or Chord Hugo 2. For Chord Hugo 2, I have a USB-C to Coax 3.5mm that works for my HIby DAP. I wonder if there is any way to use the N8ii to feed something like a Chord mojo with a USB-micro. It also now has a usb-c input. So usb-c to usb-c?

If none of that works, then I will drop back to the iPhone CCK with a usb-a to usb-c or micro connection into those DACs.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,275 of 5,547
Fortunately, Cayin product life cycle are fairly long by industrial standard, it takes us 4 years from N8 to N8ii
Quite frankly, on sound quality alone (not talking about OS, firmware etc.) I don’t find anything lacking at all from N8ii and it’s gonna be very challenging for Cayin to find improvements for N8ii’s successor. And this means a longer product cycle than 4 years 😁 I’m so happy I’ve found the perfect sounding DAP!

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #2,277 of 5,547
Quite frankly, on sound quality alone (not talking about OS, firmware etc.) I don’t find anything lacking at all from N8ii and it’s gonna be very challenging for Cayin to find improvements for N8ii’s successor. And this means a longer product cycle than 4 years 😁 I’m so happy I’ve found the perfect sounding DAP!
I hadn't planned on trying or even getting the N8ii but curiousity got the best of me.

Within 1 min of listening I knew this was a game changer. I can't even remember what settings I used but it didn't matter. The soundstage width, depth, details, dark background. Everything sounded simply elegant.

It's very early to say and also somewhat cliche, but the N8ii with the different settings cover a massive range of pairings. My most finicky match is the Fitear DC Ti. This is a very difficult IEM to pair because it requires a lot of power. For context, I use the M17 in DC enhanced mode to drive the DC Ti. However, when I plugged it into the N8ii, I knew that it had reached 80% of it's potential. Compared to the M17, the N8ii is more refined. It really could be the only DAP you'd need if you could only have 1.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #2,278 of 5,547
It really could be the only DAP you'd need if you could only have 1.
This is true and I’m a one man DAP so this is just perfect!

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #2,279 of 5,547
Great write-up! Too bad that the sound signature isn’t to your preferences. I’m also a big fan of tube sound, but probably because I’m so used to my current desktop rig and headphones that are ultra resolving and transparent (albeit still with a euphonic tube flavor with 300B at the preamp stage), N8ii’s sound fits the bill perfectly for me as it does have that similarity with what I’m hearing from my desktop rig.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #2,280 of 5,547
9315C294-BA9B-48DC-8D67-E592DD96ADBE.jpeg

Survived first international flight, JFK-St Lucia. 1 hour use at the airport, 4 1/2 hour flight, 50% battery left, paired with my EVO’s this trip, P+, AB tube medium gain. Realized while on the flight this combo reminds me of my Thorens super 160 with Ortofon black MC cartridge. Similar smooth airy but not overly extended highs with extended bass and silky detailed vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back